180 Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Classy

Reaction score
My tank wont be ready for awhile to add some fish I just want to get some opinions on my tank ideas. The dimensions are 72 inches by 24 inches. I'm thinking of buying a 10 pack of angelfish from angelmania.net. A green dragon bristle nose pleco. Also a school of Blue emperor tetras and maybe some other tetras. The tank will also be moderately planted. Thanks for any feedback.

If its moderately planted I suggest, StarGrass as a plant for you.
Also that stocking sounds relatively great :)
Good luck
Nate

StarGrass looks awesome! Thanks for the feedback too :D

no problem, if you need more plant suggestions im the guy ;)

My tank wont be ready for awhile to add some fish I just want to get some opinions on my tank ideas. The dimensions are 72 inches by 24 inches. I'm thinking of buying a 10 pack of angelfish from angelmania.net. A green dragon bristle nose pleco. Also a school of Blue emperor tetras and maybe some other tetras. The tank will also be moderately planted. Thanks for any feedback.

I'd be concerned about the "blue emperor tetras." Are you referring to Inpaichthys kerri, or to the "normal" Emperor, Nematobrycon palmeri, or perhaps to N. lacortei a close relative? I suppose it doesn't make that much difference which, as all three are in my view too active for angelfish. And this means the tetras may decide to fin nip. But even if they do not, their active swimming can really stress out angelfish.

Better tankmates are some of the disk-shaped species in Hyphessobrycon. I can suggest a few if asked. You just have to make sure you avoid the notorious fin nippers, as some of these are real terrors with sedate fish.

Corydoras are a good fish for the substrate level.

Byron,
Would like to back-up the reason I said great stocking for you and the op
Tetras of any kind, some being fin nippers some not, in this case emperor tetras. Are sometimes (and most of the time) a great combination with angelfish, emperor tetras are relatively large and get along very well with angelfish, many of my friends on TPT have them together. Very popular combination as both fish share the same looks in some ways depending on the variety/variation. Chemically speaking they are relatively close and fish can Adapt (to an extent), but in conclusion IMO they are a perfect match.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for what other tetras I could put in? Also are there any dwarf cichlids that would work in this setup too?

Do you guys have any other suggestions for what other tetras I could put in? Also are there any dwarf cichlids that would work in this setup too?

Combining different species of cichlids is usually risky (except for African rift lake species, that is a very different thing). You do have the space, in a sense--but remember that angelfish get large, around 6 inches body length with a vertical fin span of 8 inches. And they are territorial. [I don't know your level of knowledge so pardon me if I say anything obvious.] With ten you will inevitably have pairs forming, and that has issues. I personally would not add other cichlid species. As the angelfish grow, they will more than fill this tank space.

As for characins (tetras), there are several that are ideal. These do not "take up space" in the same sense that other cichlids would, because the tetras will not (or should not) be seen as adversaries by the angelfish--though individual fish can behave counter to the species norm. Rosy Tetra (Hyphessobrycon rosaceus), Roberti or Ornate Tetra (H. bentosi) are two I always recommend; peaceful, and a lovely pink-mauve colour which contrasts nicely with the black/silver. The Red Phantom (H. sweglesi) is a tad smaller but also peaceful, and here a very brilliant red. The Bleeding Heart (H. erythrostigma) gets the largest of these closely-related species, but I must caution that I have known members who had fin nipping of angelfish by BH so I can't wholeheartedly recommend them. Sometimes they work, sometimes not.

All of the afore-mentioned have the characteristics we should look for when combining with angelfish: non-linear shape, peaceful (except maybe the BH), colourful, very sedate (non-active swimming). Linear fish like the neons, glowlights, rummys, etc. are not advisable because of their likelihood of being eaten; though, if the angels are very small, and added after these others, it can sometimes work. It is a risk though, and I believe in making all the "possibles" known when I suggest species. Anything less is not fair. The reverse can occur too...for some reason, linear characins are sometimes more prone to fin nipping when they are in an environment that encourages this; by encourage I mean the sedate long-fin angelfish, like waving a red flag to a bull sometimes.

The species mentioned are lower-half in the water column, which works nicely as angelfish tend to remain in the upper 2/3 of the tank. There is another beauty (inmy view anyway), not often available though, that remains mid-tank; Hemigrammus pulcher, the Garnet or Pretty Tetra.

Hatchetfish for the upper level can work. I would suggest here the more robust species in the genera Thoracocharax or Gasteropelicus, rather than the smaller species in Carnegiella. Not always a good choice, but here with a 6-foot tank, and with some floating plants, a species like Thoracocharax stellatus (the Platinum Hatchetfish) is worth considering.

Byron.

Hello! Thanks for the advice, I've been keeping fish for years, but it was rift lake cichlids, so I'm brand new to south American cichlids.

Most reactions

Back