18 gallon pond stocking suggestions.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Obsessed with fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I'm thinking about putting a small pond on my balcony. It will be 70cm in length, 40cm in width and 25cm in height. Its on a balcony so it will be above ground. It will be live planted. Has anyone got any stocking suggestions. I was thinking maybe 1 goldfish and a few cloud minnows? Any other suggestions would be good. I live in a hot climate and it has never snowed because I live in australia.

18 gallons is a bit small to have a goldfish with any other inhabitants. The recommended size for goldfish is probably 20 gallons (completely alone), and bigger is always better for these fish (they do get 12+ inches).
White clouds would do okay in that amount of water, or maybe rainbow shiners (not sure if you can get them where you are). I know several barb species like cooler water, but that would really depend on exactly how cool your weather gets. Mosquito fish could also be an option.

How heavy will it be…? Will the balcony cope with that much extra weight..? (I’ve got a balcony and have wondered about a water feature- rather than a pond as such)…

Edit: to correct spelling

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back