170L Community Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
What fish do you have in the 54L?
Everything that's no longer in the 170L: 3 congo tetras, 5 glowlight tetras, 10 guppies and my common pleco.
Was just keeping them there for the one day, but then we haven't had the chance to give the ones to the LFS, so they're still in there.

Everything that's no longer in the 170L: 3 congo tetras, 5 glowlight tetras, 10 guppies and my common pleco.
Was just keeping them there for the one day, but then we haven't had the chance to give the ones to the LFS, so they're still in there.
The Vampire Shrimp should do good in the QT tank.

The Vampire Shrimp should do good in the QT tank.
Wound up putting it in the 170L right away... I know it was a horrible idea but apparently they can't bring ICH across, which is one of my big fears. I'll keep myself prepared in case of emergency. He's getting along well with the others so far, looks very comfortable and happy, already eating.

His name is Kano (named after the Mortal Kombat character, as the other shrimp is named Kabal)

Wound up putting it in the 170L right away... I know it was a horrible idea but apparently they can't bring ICH across, which is one of my big fears. I'll keep myself prepared in case of emergency. He's getting along well with the others so far, looks very comfortable and happy, already eating.

His name is Kano (named after the Mortal Kombat character, as the other shrimp is named Kabal)
Should be just fine...

Sounds good. I wasn’t to concerned about it going in the main tank anyway.

If it was a large group of Tetras on the other hand, I would be more cautious. ;)

Sounds good. I wasn’t to concerned about it going in the main tank anyway.

If it was a large group of Tetras on the other hand, I would be more cautious. ;)
I've actually been thinking about getting a nice big group of neon tetras... Definitely quarantining those when I get them, though. Going to look for cheap options since I'm not really keen on spending > £10 for them.

I've actually been thinking about getting a nice big group of neon tetras... Definitely quarantining those when I get them, though. Going to look for cheap options since I'm not really keen on spending > £10 for them.
At my LFS, Neons are $2 each. Doesn’t seem like that much, until you buy 10. ?

Most shops here do them for £10-£15 for 6... Local shops will be cheaper, but larger chains like Pets at Home or Maidenhead do them for the higher band of that range.
My LFS has a 8 for $20 deal on most schooling fish, which actually isn’t bad.

I still can’t decide if it’s cheaper/more expensive to keep fish here (in the US) or over there. (In the UK) ?

14/04/2021

Thinking about new tanks... I'd like a 5-6ft for my birthday, meaning I'd replace this current tank. I don't particularly mind that. Doing the overhaul for this tank was a little strenuous but it was sort of fun to be honest.

Also thinking about new fish. Might try saving up for the black corys when I get a job, since getting a group of 6 at my LFS would total around £54 and that's a LOT for me lol.

As for other fish, I'm hoping to get five or six more kuhli loaches (so I'd have eight or nine), three more of each corydoras (so I'd have six bronzes, six albino) and some more neon tetras. That, or just boost my number of rummynoses. Not sure with that yet.

17/04/2021

New fish came in today! There were no kuhli loaches at the shop, so I've got six corydoras. I'll be making a separate post on them since they're quite interesting. They're currently in the quarantine tank.

I've put my common pleco back in the tank. He seemed a little unhappy in the 54L (where he was meant to be temporarily staying) so he's going back to his old home. Hoping that my grandparents will want him as I really, really don't want to deal with the bio load or stress when he grows bigger but my parents are guilting me into keeping him. Oh well. He'll be happier in the 170L for now, at least.

No deaths, no stress, everyone is doing well. The shrimp both seem very happy and my first shrimp (Kabal) is a lot more active now with his new friend.

Found out that all my pearl gourami are female, too!

Well, it's been a hot minute since I put something on this journal. Some important notes that I'd like to cover:

- I have a job now! I've mentioned it on a thread of mine, but decided that mentioning it here would be useful too since it most certainly marks a milestone in my fishkeeping endeavours. Starting next week, I'll be working part time at an aquatics shop, so I'll be absorbing a lot more information through there and I may be less active in the day. *

- The 3 pearl gourami, 7 black neon tetras and 3 neon tetras in this tank have been rehomed. I've given them to my grandmother, who's very pleased with all of them.

- The smaller shrimp, Kano, shed her skin for the first time this month. I've added the molt to the jar along with Kabal's molt. Maybe I'll get a bigger jar soon.

The issue with my red tail shark (Iago)'s aggression has been solved by removing the pearl gourami - they were never a good combination to begin with of course - and the corydoras are no longer under attack from the gourami.

* As a gift for the job, my parents are going to buy me a fish (or fish, plural) worth up to £60 (the price of the snowball plec they originally wanted to get me, that I said no to on the count of it possibly being aggressive). I might make a thread asking for suggestions...

Congrats on the job, I started part time at Comet and was still there 18 years later when it shut down

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back