170L Community Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
they are horrible when you first see them and think the shrimp has gone. had it many times in my marine tank and on a smaller scale the trop. im running now. still catches me out.

when you said his helmet was on the other side of the tank, all i could think was do you put his helmet on or does he when he leaves his cave :p :p

they are horrible when you first see them and think the shrimp has gone. had it many times in my marine tank and on a smaller scale the trop. im running now. still catches me out.
Someday (when I actually have a stable source of income) I'm hoping to get him some buddies... It'll be a shock if they molt together and leave about five husks floating around. I'm scared of him as it is, I forgot they shed for a moment.
when you said his helmet was on the other side of the tank, all i could think was do you put his helmet on or does he when he leaves his cave :p :p
That's his hard hat for construction work!

they hide for a while, the new shell has to harden and when you find the shed but cannot find the shrimp you convince yourself that he has died, even though you know its a moult

they hide for a while, the new shell has to harden and when you find the shed but cannot find the shrimp you convince yourself that he has died, even though you know its a moult
He's actually gone off to hide behind the plants, which makes me happy. He's safe and happy there.

02/04/2021 - pt 1

After over a month of this tank being my main focus on this forum, I've learned quite a lot and I've gotten to the point where I'm going to use this journal to document changes, advances, new fish, life, death, and everything else that I think is worth documenting.

Tank is a 170L Juwel panoramic model, with an EFX 400 external filter by aquamanta.

Planted with elodea densa/waterweed, amazon sword and... Something else. I'll post close-up photos in case someone can identify the other plants.
This is my second tank, my first being a 54L tetra tank from the starter line (which I turned into a planted guppy tank as seen here).

As many of you will know I have struggled with overstocking this tank right from the start. I'm gradually getting this issue under control, but before anyone suggests it -- I won't be getting rid of my sailfin plec.

Currently in the process of switching out my substrate from gravel to sand.

Parameters:
ammonia - 0.00ppm
nitrite - 0.00ppm
pH - 8

Current stock:
6x corydoras aeneus (bronze + albino)
3x kuhli loaches
1x red tail shark
1x vampire shrimp
3x neon tetras
5x glowlight tetras
8x rummynose tetras
3x congo tetras
6x black neon tetras
3x pearl gourami
8x male guppies
1x sailfin pleco
1x common pleco
(and a LOT of Malaysian trumpet snails)

Desired stock/after rehoming:
9x corydoras aeneus (bronze + black venezuelan + albino)
6x kuhli loaches
1x red tail shark
1x vampire shrimp
8x rummynose tetras
1x sailfin pleco
4x upside down catfish
View attachment 133349
i love how you can keep tetras and guppies together, i am scared of doing that because the tetras may not adjust to the hard water and feel uncomfortable lol. keep going!!!

zoom ins on fish???

i love how you can keep tetras and guppies together, i am scared of doing that because the tetras may not adjust to the hard water and feel uncomfortable lol. keep going!!!

zoom ins on fish???
Yeah, they're all pretty comfortable! never had a problem keeping both. Actually have more tetra species than guppies, and I've got the hardest water in the UK.

Some assorted fish pics, I don't take many of my guppies or tetras since they don't have as much personality as the others.
The guppy in the final pic is from my first tank setup, been dead a long time now.

Attachments

• cory.jpg
    cory.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 72
  • cory_pog.png
    cory_pog.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 78
  • kabal.jpg
    kabal.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 78
  • kuhlove.jpg
    kuhlove.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 80
  • poco_pics.jpg
    poco_pics.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 81
  • gubby.jpg
    gubby.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 72
Yeah, they're all pretty comfortable! never had a problem keeping both. Actually have more tetra species than guppies, and I've got the hardest water in the UK.

Some assorted fish pics, I don't take many of my guppies or tetras since they don't have as much personality as the others.
The guppy in the final pic is from my first tank setup, been dead a long time now.
so cuuuuuuuute

09/04/2021

Small update, five days into the full overhaul and everything is in working order. Water's crystal clear and the filter's doing its job as always. Tank currently has a wedge of cucumber floating around for the plec and gourami. Corys, kuhlis and the shrimp all love it.

Stock is now all the way down to a comfortable size, and planning on rehoming the black neon tetras and pearl gourami when a place is available.

I'd like to add five more kuhli loaches, three black corys and two more upside down catfish. I'm currently saving up for the latter two, since both are pretty expensive. I'll look in other places to see what they can do, though. @PheonixKingZ opened my eyes to the fact that you can request some shops to stock a species of fish, so I'm slowly plucking up the courage to do that.

Hoping that I might just get a 5ft tank for my birthday... I measured a few days ago and I could fit a 7ft in my room. But the reality is: getting a 7ft tank and cabinet up into my (upstairs) bedroom and filling it without the water collapsing the ceiling would be the biggest part of it... I'd really like a four-lined pimelodus catfish, and a large tank would be necessary. Oh well, that might have to wait until I have more space elsewhere.

Everything looks very healthy so far. Lost a huge amount of trumpet snails due to the gravel change, saved maybe four or five, but I'm sure they'll breed again. Looking into nerites and rabbit snails, too.

If/when I rehome the gourami, I'd like to get honey or dwarf gourami. Or other floaty fish... Any recommendations on "floaty" fish would be appreciated!

IMG_20210409_164429.jpg

@PheonixKingZ opened my eyes to the fact that you can request some shops to stock a species of fish, so I'm slowly plucking up the courage to do that.
It really doesn’t take that much! All you gotta do is ask. If you don’t feel comfortable asking in person, just call. :)

Great progress, congrats...
Thanks!
It really doesn’t take that much! All you gotta do is ask. If you don’t feel comfortable asking in person, just call. :)
The issue is, the owner of my (closer) LFS is a grumpy old man who seems to hate his job. My dad, who's a huge socialite, struggles to talk to him sometimes.

The issue is, the owner of my (closer) LFS is a grumpy old man who seems to hate his job. My dad, who's a huge socialite, struggles to talk to him sometimes.
YEESH! My LFS owner is an awesome guy, super cool and knowledgeable. That’s sad your LFS’s owner is terrible. :( :no:

YEESH! My LFS owner is an awesome guy, super cool and knowledgeable. That’s sad your LFS’s owner is terrible. :( :no:
I wouldn't really say terrible, to be fair to him. Just pretty grumpy and miserable. Doesn't turn us away from shopping there, just keeps us from actually asking him anything particular. Our other LFS is a Maidenhead Aquatics chain, and the workers there are all very nice, knowledgeable and kind. Would much rather request fish from them.

09/04/2021 - pt 2

Well, I wasn't expecting this quick of an update! My dad got in from work five minutes ago and told me to come downstairs. He surprised me with another vampire shrimp! I do have a dilemma, though...

My quarantine tank isn't cycled yet (I don't think), so I don't have anywhere to put him... My 54L has no lid, and naturally I'm worried about him leaping out within the time it'd take to quarantine him for a few weeks. On top of that, I have fish in the 54L.

Could I put water from the 54L into my quarantine tank and put him in there? Should I just put him in the 170L? A little worried but very happy.

Help needed, please respond if you have any ideas!

09/04/2021 - pt 2

Well, I wasn't expecting this quick of an update! My dad got in from work five minutes ago and told me to come downstairs. He surprised me with another vampire shrimp! I do have a dilemma, though...

My quarantine tank isn't cycled yet (I don't think), so I don't have anywhere to put him... My 54L has no lid, and naturally I'm worried about him leaping out within the time it'd take to quarantine him for a few weeks. On top of that, I have fish in the 54L.

Could I put water from the 54L into my quarantine tank and put him in there? Should I just put him in the 170L? A little worried but very happy.

Help needed, please respond if you have any ideas!
What fish do you have in the 54L?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back