168 Usg 3Ft Cube - 'the Hidden Cove'

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
This is it now, slightly raised :)

DSCN2233.jpg

Got a powerhead today :) Pumps out 3100L/h, and is adjustable, so I have it pointing more towards the surface as I bought it for surface agitation.

Not sure what my litres per hour turnover is now, but that along with my FX5 at a claimed rate of 2,300 per hour, I should have quite a high turn over. Anyone know how to work it out?

Boris is in a sulk at the new thing, but will come round :lol:

Think it works out at 8.5x turnover, so that should be more than sufficient, even for when they are adults.

Good stuff, I am also entertaining the idea of adding a powerhead, what make/model did you get? I have seen those cheap SunSun powerheads and was wondering if you went for one of those as I wouldn't mind a first hand review from someone here :)

Good stuff, I am also entertaining the idea of adding a powerhead, what make/model did you get? I have seen those cheap SunSun powerheads and was wondering if you went for one of those as I wouldn't mind a first hand review from someone here :)

I got a Hydor Koralia Nano 900 (900 lph) a week or so ago, for extra circulation. Absolutely silent and a godsend for getting a bit more circulation in those "hard to reach" parts of the tank. It's got a magnetic attachment which gives good support through the thick 12mm glass of my 130 gallon tank. thoroughly recommended !!

It's a NeWave powerhead :) It attaches to the inside of the aquarium like a sat nav, very solid and silent. Very much like the Koralia's.
I've only had it a few hours, but very pleased with it so far :)

Thanks guys, still pondering whether to do it or not...I have no real need I just figure it would be good for the tank generally (not really planted or suffering algae but for the fish I am thinking)

I got mine as I find air pumps noisey, and airstones artificial looking, but wanted the circulation/oxygenation benefits of them still.

Powerheads also increase the flow in the tank, so more litres per hour is pushed through the filter. My filter houses enough media to sustain a more than adequate bacteria colony, so a much cheaper option to increase the litres per hour than getting another filter, was to get a powerhead.

The water has loads of movement on the top now, plus it is oxygenated throughout. As I have a cube style tank I have to be careful about 'dead spots', so this has solved the problem.

I was going to get the 1,400L/h one when I rang up, but decided to get the bigger one, and I'm glad I did.

www.lampspecs.co.uk are brilliant for cheap quality tubes, I use them for replacement bulbs for my Seasonal Affective Disorder lightboxes, less than 33% of the price that the lightbox company will sell them to me for!
good.gif

They do stock some T5 lighting, but I cannot tell you what sizes off the top of my head...

I used lampspec to get 2 t5 tubes for my tank, they have a good variety of them as you would expect. One of the tubes turned up and didn't work, they sent me another on the day I told them...very good service

A great review of lighting for planted tanks can be found here: http://ukaps.org/for....php?f=50&t=555

Couple more pics of the tank. I am going to have to put some carbon in the filter I think, as it's proving difficult getting rid of these pesky tannins.

DSCN2246.jpg

DSCN2240.jpg

DSCN2261.jpg

DSCN2256.jpg

Spot the bichir, oh and Boris begging in every pic :lol:

:hyper: It looks great. I love the wood and the hanging plants very nice. you need more fish ;) .

What's wrong with a bit of begging ?

Seriously, going back to tannins ... they can be a nightmare. I have failed to control them with carbon myself. Many people absolutley swear by Seachem purigen to get rid of tannin colouring. I tried a small bag of the stuff for that purpose which, to be honest, didn't seem to do a lot for me. Maybe I just needed to use more of it. It is pretty expensive though. :sad:

:hyper: It looks great. I love the wood and the hanging plants very nice. you need more fish ;) .

I know, it looks so empty in there at the moment! :lol:

I'm doing 50% waterchanges every week, and for the first couple of days the water is a lot clearer, but it soon stains again as the week goes on. It will go eventually I suppose :rolleyes:

why not use activated carbon in ur filter? unless the water is turning an impossible to see through brown i dont know why ppl care so much about tannins anyway

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back