168 Usg 3Ft Cube - 'the Hidden Cove'

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ChilliPepper

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I thought I'd move my journal here as it's more of an appropriate place than the general photos section.

So, firstly, my new tank arrived today!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: I've been waiting a long time, originally I had a 5x2x2 on order, but this wouldn't have fit in our new house, so a 3x3x2.5 was ordered instead. Larger water volume/footprint anyway, so not a compromise.

It is massively heavy, and won't fit through the doors, so the window in the front room is going to have to be taken out temporarily :fun:

OK, so stuff I've bought aside from the tank.

1 x Fluval FX5 external filter
1 x Fluval Biomax filter media
2 x Fluval E300 heaters (including heater guards and digital temperature reading)
2 x Large silk plants
2 x Medium silk plants from old tank
1 x 20kg fine black gravel (wanted sand, but too expensive)
2 x Extra large pieces of wood
2 x Medium pieces of wood from old tank
1 x Small piece of wood from old tank

Stuff I still need to buy
1 x 20kg bag gravel - one alone would only give a thin covering across one half of the bottom I think
1 x T5 light unit
2 x T5 light bulbs

Here's some photos of the equipment.

Two extra large bits of wood after scrubbing. Look small here.

DSCN1483.jpg

Soaking in tub - the wood isn't as orange as it looks here. Reddishy brown really.

DSCN1616.jpg

DSCN1615.jpg

More toys

DSCN1621.jpg

Stocking

1 x GT
1 x Red tiger Oscar
1 x Green Severum
1 x Bolivian Ram will not be staying in the tank indefinitely as will be eaten
1 x Keyhole will not be staying in the tank indefinitely as will be eaten
1 x L075
1 x Polypterus Delhezi

All fish are juvis, though Oscar and GT are around 5" now. Severum is 1.5", only bought a few days ago. Birchir is about 3".

Future stocking plans

The Keyhole and Ram are either going to be tried in a slightly larger tank with my Betta, or unfortunately rehomed. They won't be in there long term that's for sure as Mister O would eat them I reckon.
1 x Red Spot Severum or a Gold
1 x Nic

your going to need a lot more media than that ive got 2 x 1100g of biomax and 1 x 1100g pre filter madia in my fx5

The new tank, in the garden at the moment waiting for strong males to come around and lift it through the window.

From the front

DSCN1619.jpg

DSCN1611.jpg

One side

DSCN1613.jpg

Other side

DSCN1614.jpg

Other angles

DSCN1620.jpg
DSCN1618.jpg

With the two new large silk plants in.. Hmm think I may need more...

DSCN1624.jpg
DSCN1622.jpg

I ordered it with a painted black background :hey:

Photobucket is being a £$£@@$ and not saving the photos as rotated, so will rotate once I get on my other computer with Photoshop on.

Jacko - I have media in my old filter as well to add...

Looking good, does it come free with hp sauce or something :shifty:

Concerned mind its alot of litres but odd shaped leaving on three foot, Ornate grows very big, as does the oscar and green terror, with that in mind a full grown oscar/green terror and sev, iam thinking blood shed, sorry mate but everyone knows ive been there and brought the t shirt :good:

thats a nice tank...you could keep a small boy in there.

*disclaimer*

not that i advocate keeping small boys in fish tanks.

Hehe thanks everyone :good:

Looking good, does it come free with hp sauce or something :shifty:

Concerned mind its alot of litres but odd shaped leaving on three foot, Ornate grows very big, as does the oscar and green terror, with that in mind a full grown oscar/green terror and sev, iam thinking blood shed, sorry mate but everyone knows ive been there and brought the t shirt :good:

Sauce bottle was to give an idea of size, but it doesn't really get it across how HUUGE it is :lol:

It's 3ft by 3ft, yep, but over 4ft diagonally across, and my fish are going to feel lost in there for a good while I reckon. Boris is growing rapidly, but the tank will def home him for life very comfortably.

My GT may have to be rehomed unless she behaves herself anyway. In the temp tank setup, Boris (oscar) has had some scrapes and nips, and I'm not sure whether it's the GT or the Ram :lol: Honestly, he's a fiesty fellow. They never do anything when I am there, infact the O and GT follow each other around the tank like best pals.
She is much better with more fish in there anyway. I think nipping from her is down to boredom, not malice. She is actually very good for a "Terror".

It's always a risk with cichlids, but that's why they are interesting :nod:

Lovely !!!

I have a question about the silk plants that you have hanging down from the top. Am I right in thinking that these are the ones marketed for vivarium use ?

Also interested in hearing how you get on with the FX5, especially how noisy it is. I will be needing another filter for my new big tank and the FX5 is defo in the frame.

ooo thats a beast
drool.gif
.. so how much has it cost so far??
shifty.gif

Not added it up, but suffice to say, aside from my Plec, my fish have been by far the cheapest things bought :lol:
GT - £5
Oscar - £5
Sev - £5
Ram - £5
Keyhole - 75p! (rescued from P&H)
Ornate - £10
Plec - £25

I try and buy all my fish as juvis as I like to watch them grow :)

Lovely !!!

I have a question about the silk plants that you have hanging down from the top. Am I right in thinking that these are the ones marketed for vivarium use ?

Also interested in hearing how you get on with the FX5, especially how noisy it is. I will be needing another filter for my new big tank and the FX5 is defo in the frame.

Yes, they are the viv ones. The bloke in Swallow Aquatics said that they'd be perfectly fine in an aquarium, as the viv ones are made from the same stuff as the aq. ones. The only difference is the aq. ones have weights and the vivs ones have suckers. I shall give them a good soak before they go in the tank anyway though :good: Will let you know how I get on with the FX5. Hopefully tank will be filled early next week.

oh i know mate,good luck, was just giving my advice as ive been there... :lol:

Thanks :D Why can't these cichlids all just get along... Would make life easier :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back