15l Freshwater Shrimp Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Nice plants, what is the grassy one? They will likely grow faster if you stop the airstone (drives off CO2) :).

Nice plants, what is the grassy one? They will likely grow faster if you stop the airstone (drives off CO2) :).

i know but i was scared incase he died cos there might not be enough oxygen in there but i've been turning it off at night and the plant's called utricularia graminifolia or however it's spelt :p

thanks for the feedback guys, i really appreciate it :)

Ah cool, I'm sure he will have plenty of oxygen without it - he's the only fish in the tank :). But I'm also sure the plants will be fine with it, they will just grow slower.

Watch out for the U.graminifolia, I've seen a different Utricularia species eat baby shrimp in my tank. Probably not a big deal, since shrimp produce loads of babies anyway, and not many get caught, but if the plant grows well and spreads, it may have a noticeable impact in a 15L tank.

Depends on how big the traps are on your species, but I've read about some fairly gruesome - very interesting - but still gruesome deaths of things like tadpoles, fish fry and insect larvae after being caught by Utricularia spp. traps that were too small to engulf the whole animal.

Just keep watching the plants traps closely :good:.

:eek: i have carnivorous plants in my tank?! :crazy: uhoh, i might get rid of that sooner than planned. i want hairgrass but i can't get any anywhere :( also my nitrites rocketed to 0.2/3ish so do i keep on doing water changes until it goes back down to 0? i don't want my baby to die :( he's looking quite sorry for himself right now. also, the other morning i found him up behind the filter, not moving so naturally, i thought he was dead but when i moved the filter, he swam out looking quite annoyed that i'd disturbed him. he's starting to worry me tbh :p i think he might have some kind of mental disability :S

Add more mature media an do a water change and you should be fine. Because you waited before adding the fish, your effectively doing a fish-in cycle at the moment :).

hey thats a cool little tank you got there, keep us updated on the shrimps that go in there.

well, i did as i was told (thanks three-fingers :good:) and i tested my water last night at like 11 and my nitrites were ZERO! :hyper: and my little boy looks so much happier :) he's zooming round like a crazy thing! and they're still zero now, so, i read somewhere that galaxy rasboras are hardy little things so, do i put them in (there's only 4 now :( one jumped out and my angel got him) or do i leave them where they are for the time being and start looking at shrimps? also, i've decided that i'm gunna take all the nasty plant out cos i mucked up planting it anyways and i want hairgrass :) oh and does anyone have any tips on planting 'lawns'? cos i wanna do it right this time and not rip the plants roots off before i've even started.
thanks everyone :)

ive had those plants that take shrimp. at least i think...a shrimp died and i noticed in 3 days the plant was sucking it under until it was gone. i then pulled it apart and found the shrimp! ridiculous. nice tank though

Ah cool, I'm sure he will have plenty of oxygen without it - he's the only fish in the tank :). But I'm also sure the plants will be fine with it, they will just grow slower.

Watch out for the U.graminifolia, I've seen a different Utricularia species eat baby shrimp in my tank. Probably not a big deal, since shrimp produce loads of babies anyway, and not many get caught, but if the plant grows well and spreads, it may have a noticeable impact in a 15L tank.

Depends on how big the traps are on your species, but I've read about some fairly gruesome - very interesting - but still gruesome deaths of things like tadpoles, fish fry and insect larvae after being caught by Utricularia spp. traps that were too small to engulf the whole animal.

Just keep watching the plants traps closely :good:.

Here you go an article by Tropica on the plant

Bladderwort

thanks guys :)
sorry i haven't updated in a while, my computer got sick.
well i've put my galaxy rasboras in their new home and i've bought 4 zebra nerite snails :) i also have a new phone with a muccch better camera so i'll post pictures when i find the lead :)
thanks for reading :)

hey guys, sorry i haven't updated in about a zillion years (massive drama at home). just thought you'd like to know, tank's now up and running. my zebra nerites have been breeding like crazy things and i have like 5 trillion of them now and i finally bought some shrimp. i have 5 cherry shrimps who are all settling in nicely. i'll get the pictures on in a bit :D
thanks for all your support!

DSC00504.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

sorry about the rubbishness of the ones of the shrimps, they move so fast!

Tanks looking very nice, like the plant choice :). Fits very neatly into its space.

Are you sure they are nerite snails though? Because nerite snails aren't meant to be able to breed in freshwater. They lay hard white eggs which hatch into larvae, which then go down river into brackish lagoons or the sea to develop.

Lookin good. Thats defo a bumblebee nerite but I suspect the baby snails are from another type. You might find the survival of shrimplets quite low with the galaxies although with that bushy plant at the back im sure a good number will still make it.

Are you sure they are nerite snails though? Because nerite snails aren't meant to be able to breed in freshwater. They lay hard white eggs which hatch into larvae, which then go down river into brackish lagoons or the sea to develop.

they could be something else but they are hard white eggs, i'll just have to wait and see how they turn out :)

You might find the survival of shrimplets quite low with the galaxies although with that bushy plant at the back im sure a good number will still make it

that's why i bought it if i'm honest. does anyone know when they'll start breeding?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back