eldomingo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
omgomgomgomg!!!
my new tank's just arriveddd!!! :hyper: :hyper:
i've been waiting a month! a whole month! and now it's here!!!! :D
i'm so excited as you can probably tell :p
and i'm so glad that i bought everything before hand so i don't have to wait :D

okay, so got my new tank and everything and i'm gunna start boiling gravel and stuff in a bit but i have some 'dennerle nano deponitmix special nutrient medium for mini-aquaria' substrate for the plants that are going in at a later date but i don't know if i need to wash it or not :S
help please!

right so last night i set everything up :D
i washed and boiled the soil (just in case) and then the gravel and rinsed the filter and stuff and filled it :) i took a few pictures along the way so i'll post them when i can find the cable for my phone :) i'm really bummed though cos it's new year which means my LFS is shut and the tank didn't come with a light and i didn't want to buy one just incase it did and now i really really want a light :( i guess i'm gunna have to be patient. all criticism etc is welcome :)

edit:

30122008651.jpg

i decided to use a sponge to help fill it up instead of a plate so it didn't muck up the gravel :D

30122008652.jpg

30122008653.jpg

i was trying to get a picture of the substrate...kinda failed.

30122008654.jpg

i washed and boiled the soil (just in case) and then the gravel and rinsed the filter and stuff and filled it :) i took a few pictures along the way so i'll post them when i can find the cable for my phone :) i'm really bummed though cos it's new year which means my LFS is shut and the tank didn't come with a light and i didn't want to buy one just incase it did and now i really really want a light :( i guess i'm gunna have to be patient. all criticism etc is welcome :)

incase you do go with the soil again, theres no point in washing it if its going under substrate

incase you do go with the soil again, theres no point in washing it if its going under substrate

i did wonder, but i didn't want to risk anything because i'm putting shrimps in and i got told that they're quite sensitive and i don't want them to die :)

does anyone think i might get away with a few small fish? just i saw some at my LFS and the guy said they were fully grown and they were literally about 2cm long, if that.

hey nice tank for the shrimp :D
do you have any idea wat fish they were in the pet shop??

Nice little tank, where'd you get it from and how much was it? Could do with yet another tank myself, was thinking my bedside table :rolleyes: .

What type of shrimp were you thinking about?

Whatever the shrimp, if you want to breed them, wait a few months before adding fish, that way you have a little colony.

Can you describe the fish you saw?

Most of the time its not that wise an idea to go by LFS sizes of fish, as they are merely advised by the supplier. so for fish none of the staff have kept, max sizes will probs be off.

thanks everyone :D

i bought it off ebay for £3! but the postage and packaging was £12 but still, £15 for a tank! and it's in great condition and it's on my bedside table and fits perfectly :p
i was looking at bumblebee shrimps, black and red but i know that i won't get any red ones in the first generation cos it's the recessive gene but i think they're really cool :) i really like sulawesi shrimps too but they're so expensive and i guess i couldn't keep anything else with them.
oh and i went back to my LFS and i think the little fish are called galaxy rasboras and i was talking to a friend of mine who works there and he said that he's got some and that the ones in the shop are fully grown! they're sooo cute!

okay so i added some of the filter sponge and water from one of my other tanks which i've had for like 2 years and that was like 4 days ago, does anyone know when i'd be able to put my platy in?

oh and i've bought a light :D

thanks everyone :D

i bought it off ebay for £3! but the postage and packaging was £12 but still, £15 for a tank! and it's in great condition and it's on my bedside table and fits perfectly :p
i was looking at bumblebee shrimps, black and red but i know that i won't get any red ones in the first generation cos it's the recessive gene but i think they're really cool :) i really like sulawesi shrimps too but they're so expensive and i guess i couldn't keep anything else with them.
oh and i went back to my LFS and i think the little fish are called galaxy rasaboras and i was talking to a friend of mine who works there and he said that he's got some and that the ones in the shop are fully grown! they're sooo cute!

the small fish that grow to 2 cm will be ember tetras (most probs)

but 15 litres is to small for any fish IMO

the small fish that grow to 2 cm will be ember tetras (most probs)
Or maybe the galaxy rasboras mentioned? ;)

Galaxy rasboras would be perfectly fine in there IMO if it was just a few :good:.

If you have added the mature filter sponge to the empty tank without an ammonia source for a few days, the bacteria will be gone now. On the upside, you can just add more sponge at the same time as you add the platy :).

If you have added the mature filter sponge to the empty tank without an ammonia source for a few days, the bacteria will be gone now. On the upside, you can just add more sponge at the same time as you add the platy :).

i've chucked him in there and he's having the time of his life :) he seems okay so fingers crossed!

i bought 5 galaxy rasboras and two plants before and i realllyyy suck at planting. i've put the rasboras in my trap thingy so that they don't get eaten by my angel cos they're sooo tiny! :) i think i will put them in after i've got a few shrimp in there but i'm not sure yet. i'm only gunna put like 4-5 shrimp in so they should be okay to go in? my light has got a two thing plug which is so annoying cos my filter does too which kinda isn't the best of things and my dads taken the other adaptor for his sound system. my fish are clearly more important :grr:

okay, so i put my platy in before dinner and went upstairs before to check on him and couldn't find him anywhere. i was nearly crying looking for a body on the bottom, thinking he was dead, when this little face appears outta nowhere and i swear, if he had facial muscles he would've been grinning. he's so happy in there! i feel almost mean having to take him out in a week or so.
i've attempted to plant my new plants (and failed) and i took some pictures :) i need to buy rocks next :D

i'm keeping the tabs in for the time being so i know which one's which :)
P1010004.jpg

P1010010-1.jpg

P1010011-1.jpg

P1010015.jpg

sol :)
P1010013-1.jpg

i'll go and look at the plant names in a bit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back