15 Gallon Suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MichaelMcFish

Reaction score
I was initially going to purchase another 10G but found a 15G that was somehow smaller than my bedside table... Anyway

I've mostly been mentioned bettas which I already have five of so I'm a bit iffy with giving a 15G to another betta unless I simply fall in love with one before I can get it stocked up

I would very much appreciate a diversity of options as my country does not allow fish importing if you do not have a permit, which is hard to get... So you're either stuck with the limited (and similar) stock that pet stores have or you just go fish in the river which is what I resorted to for some Caridinas

PicsArt_01-25-06.51.32.jpg

The gravel will be fine along with hopefully some driftwood and I plan to make it heavily planted while using root tabs(Seachem) and fertiliser (API or Seachem. If one is better for your suggestion I'd like to know too- Since I have been told that the trace of copper in Seachem Flourish will kill my shrimp and then my snails... I only have ramshorns)

PicsArt_01-25-06.54.59.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
What is the GH (general hardness), pH and temperature of the water?

Hello! And thanks!

Dimensions: 55x30x35
I don't know my GH yet since I couldn't get the test for it, I think my water may be hard? I don't know the signs of it without a kit-

My Ph is 7.6 but it lowers down to 7.0-7.2 whenever I add in all the plants and whatnot.

Temperature stays around 24°C-28°.

My mother says the river water is soft and I'm guessing the calcium build up I get in my HOB filters is just from it being nutrient rich?

Since I have been told that the trace of copper in Seachem Flourish will kill my shrimp and then my snails...

I use Seachem Flourish (comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium) and both my red cherry shrimps and nerite snails have no problem. It contains just 0.0001% copper.
However, as I have only slow growing plants I do not use the full dose recommended on the bottle.

I use Seachem Flourish (comprehensive supplement for the planted aquarium) and both my red cherry shrimps and nerite snails have no problem. It contains just 0.0001% copper.
However, as I have only slow growing plants I do not use the full dose recommended on the bottle.

Really?? I was horrified my shrimp and snails would drop dead with that stuff, that's reassuring--Thanks!

On the GH, you need to pin this down, for your source water. if you are on municipal water, the water authority may have a website with data, or you can ask them directly. GH is general or total hardness, and you/we will need to know the number and the unit of measurement they use as there are several.

If you have reliable fish store, they may be able to test GH, but make sure you get the number and the unit they are using; some vague term like "hard" or "medium" tells you and us nothing as subjective terms are frequently mis-used.

You can get a test kit; the API liquid GH/KH test is reliable. But I don't like suggesting you spend money for a test you may only do once. You just need to know the GH of your source water.

Fish for small tanks will often be wild caught so the GH is very important. You also need to know what the water people are adding to the water.

On the GH, you need to pin this down, for your source water. if you are on municipal water, the water authority may have a website with data, or you can ask them directly. GH is general or total hardness, and you/we will need to know the number and the unit of measurement they use as there are several.

If you have reliable fish store, they may be able to test GH, but make sure you get the number and the unit they are using; some vague term like "hard" or "medium" tells you and us nothing as subjective terms are frequently mis-used.

You can get a test kit; the API liquid GH/KH test is reliable. But I don't like suggesting you spend money for a test you may only do once. You just need to know the GH of your source water.

Fish for small tanks will often be wild caught so the GH is very important. You also need to know what the water people are adding to the water.

Thing is, it's the filtered river water system my dad made and the only petstore with tests is on the other island which is a 1 Hour Boat ride/15 Min Plane Ride away. My mother may be going to the island next week so I've asked her to get KH and GH tests

Thing is, it's the filtered river water system my dad made and the only petstore with tests is on the other island which is a 1 Hour Boat ride/15 Min Plane Ride away. My mother may be going to the island next week so I've asked her to get KH and GH tests

OK. You might get the API test kit (it is one that does both GH and KH) online for much less, and just as fast, depending where you are.

You also need to look into your filtration system, to see if anything is being added. What is safe for humans is often deadly to fish.

I tested my GH, it's between 10-14. I can't tell exactly because the colour change is so subtle, but it's all the pet stores sell (sera gh test)

I tested my GH, it's between 10-14. I can't tell exactly because the colour change is so subtle, but it's all the pet stores sell (sera gh test)

What unit of measurement does the Sera test use? If this is 10 to 14 dGH (degrees, degrees hardness, degrees German) that is one thing, but if it is 10 to 14 ppm (parts per million) or mg/l (milligrams per liter) that is very different.

What unit of measurement does the Sera test use? If this is 10 to 14 dGH (degrees, degrees hardness, degrees German) that is one thing, but if it is 10 to 14 ppm (parts per million) or mg/l (milligrams per liter) that is very different.
10 to 14 dGH

10 to 14 dGH

This is moderately hard water. Earlier in the thread "soft water" from the river was mentioned but that does not equate here. There is still the question of the filtration that may be adding minerals.

This is moderately hard water. Earlier in the thread "soft water" from the river was mentioned but that does not equate here. There is still the question of the filtration that may be adding minerals.

I asked my father again this morning, he said there's no chemicals added in that tap's water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back