14 gallon planted tank journal.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I put this in on aquarium size calculator, your tank is actually 22 US gallons.
So when you get your fish you can have more than you expected. :)
Good spot and well calculated ;)

While this is correct, according to forum calculator it says 23 US gals or 86 litres.

You kind of have to bear in mind this is a TALL tank, not a standard length tank.

This makes a difference unfortunately as the length and width of tank is more important as this the actual swimming length for fish.

Some fish are more active like neon or cardinal tetras but they need a 3 foot tank while other fish are more sedate like gouramis and don’t require longer tanks.

So when you do your research as to what fish you would like, you need to calculate that the substrate, internal filter, decor and plants take up some space inside the tank, I normally substrate 10% of total volume so this make this tank a 20 gallon tall (78 litres) approximately, and you must bear in mind the length of tank in your considerations.

There are a number of fish species that will do fine in a tank of this size so don’t worry too much, just do your homework first before adding any fish into this tank once the fishless cycle has been completed successfully.

Good spot and well calculated ;)

While this is correct, according to forum calculator it says 23 US gals or 86 litres.

You kind of have to bear in mind this is a TALL tank, not a standard length tank.

This makes a difference unfortunately as the length and width of tank is more important as this the actual swimming length for fish.

Some fish are more active like neon or cardinal tetras but they need a 3 foot tank while other fish are more sedate like gouramis and don’t require longer tanks.

So when you do your research as to what fish you would like, you need to calculate that the substrate, internal filter, decor and plants take up some space inside the tank, I normally substrate 10% of total volume so this make this tank a 20 gallon tall (78 litres) approximately, and you must bear in mind the length of tank in your considerations.

There are a number of fish species that will do fine in a tank of this size so don’t worry too much, just do your homework first before adding any fish into this tank once the fishless cycle has been completed successfully.
Ok thankyou, good advice.

Hi everyone. I am wandering if i can keep a brislenose pleco permanently in a 22 gallon tank. The base is 36cmx50cm, it is 48cm tall. 1 brisle nose would be good.

Your tank is a tall narrow tank so it has only a small footprint. Bristlenoses need a tank with a bigger footprint, I'm afraid.

Do you want the bristlenose because you like the fish or you want something to eat algae? If it's to eat algae, there are alternatives which would work in this tank.

Your tank is a tall narrow tank so it has only a small footprint. Bristlenoses need a tank with a bigger footprint, I'm afraid.

Do you want the bristlenose because you like the fish or you want something to eat algae? If it's to eat algae, there are alternatives which would work in this tank.
mainly something that eats algae, what are your alteratives in mind? Thanks!

id suggest loaches just avoid chinese algae eaters and Big Loaches
dont make my mistake as im stuck with a little monster because i didnt do my research properly before being roped into buying one(yes even somone of my smarts forgot this vital step)

The footprint of this tank is too small for loaches I'm afraid.

The best algae eater I've ever come across is nerite snails, and you could have 2 or 3 in this tank. There are several species, and various colours and patterns. But I would suggest getting no more than 1 of any type because they try to breed and females lay eggs which look like sesame seeds everywhere. These eggs never hatch and just stay there.

I do need to warn you though that nothing - fish or snail or shrimp - will eat every type of algae, and there are some types of algae that nothing will eat.

The footprint of this tank is too small for loaches I'm afraid.

The best algae eater I've ever come across is nerite snails, and you could have 2 or 3 in this tank. There are several species, and various colours and patterns. But I would suggest getting no more than 1 of any type because they try to breed and females lay eggs which look like sesame seeds everywhere. These eggs never hatch and just stay there.

I do need to warn you though that nothing - fish or snail or shrimp - will eat every type of algae, and there are some types of algae that nothing will eat.
perfect, my lft owner is constantly saying that hes overun with neite snails. Ill defiently get some of them.

perfect, my lft owner is constantly saying that hes overun with neite snails. Ill defiently get some of them.
True 'Nerite ' snails will only reproduce in brackish water. In tropical freshwater tanks, he would not be overrun.
Be careful that he actually does know his snails. You don't want any of your tanks to be overrun with anything. ;)

Make sure they are nerites. I've never heard of anyone being over run with them as they can't breed in fresh water and to get more of them you have to buy them.
But there are many other snail species that do breed and breed very fast. They will soon over run a tank.

These are nerites I've had over the years so that you know the kind of snail to look for.
#1.JPG#2.JPG#3a.JPG#4 zebra nerite.JPG#5.JPG#6 bee nerite.JPG

The white spots on the wood in the bottom left photo are nerite eggs.

Make sure they are nerites. I've never heard of anyone being over run with them as they can't breed in fresh water and to get more of them you have to buy them.
But there are many other snail species that do breed and breed very fast. They will soon over run a tank.

These are nerites I've had over the years so that you know the kind of snail to look for.
View attachment 144745View attachment 144746View attachment 144747View attachment 144748View attachment 144749View attachment 144750

The white spots on the wood in the bottom left photo are nerite eggs.
thanks! They look really cool

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back