13 weeks cycling fish in down the drain.....cycle reset

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

moogie21

Reaction score
it appears after numerous water changes and many newbie mistakes, my tank cycling has reset after 13 weeks. very disappointing and some lesson learned:

1. added too many fish almost all at once (initially 2 goldfish, then 2 weeks later another 2)
  2. fed too much, and subsequently too much waste
  3. cleaned out filter and media with tap
  4. remove too many rocks/stones/decor, which inadvertently removed the growing nitrifying bacteria
needless to say, it's been disappointing and frustrating process along the way....

I always struggled with my goldfish tank and keeping it clean and balanced. I just feel the amount of waste they produce is so much higher than other fish. What kind of filter and how large is your tank?
I keep bettas, but when I had goldfish I still kept UV sterilized betta water to clean out my filter media. I found myself often (weekly or bi-weekly) rinsing the filter, removing the goldfish temporarily and the scrubbing plants/vacuuming substrate and letting the filter clean up whatever was left to free float, and agitating multiple times so whatever sunk got sucked up, then reacclimating the fish.

I always struggled with my goldfish tank and keeping it clean and balanced. I just feel the amount of waste they produce is so much higher than other fish. What kind of filter and how large is your tank?
I keep bettas, but when I had goldfish I still kept UV sterilized betta water to clean out my filter media. I found myself often (weekly or bi-weekly) rinsing the filter, removing the goldfish temporarily and the scrubbing plants/vacuuming substrate and letting the filter clean up whatever was left to free float, and agitating multiple times so whatever sunk got sucked up, then reacclimating the fish.
40 gallon tank
2 aquaclear 50
2 air stones

40 gallon tank
2 aquaclear 50
2 air stones
Interesting, that should be adequate enough filtration for them. I guess with the overfeeding I can see how you got to that point though (unfortunately :( ) Were you treating with bacteria booster during setup as well? Sorry your cycling didn't go as planned. It is always so frustrating. I also try to only clean a portion of the substrate/plants (like 25% at a time) as to not disrupt the bacterial balance. Especially if the tank is extra dirty.

I like to use Microbe-Lift Special Blend Aquarium Bacteria, it does have sulfur in it so it stinks for about 30 minutes after dosing (like rotten egg farts.) But it has done my freshwater tank well, and my plants love it. (I'm sure there is better on the market, but it is slim pickings out here in the sticks and I take what I can get. Shipping anything in right now is impossible due to freezing temps, but if you're in an area where that won't be a problem there may be something better on the market for you.)

Also, are you creating your own filter media or are you using premade bags? Three step filtration is key with goldfish (most fish, honestly). I like activated carbon (not pellets, more "raw" form like chunks, bacteria adheres better.), bio stones, sponge and filter floss to top it all off.

cleaned out filter and media with tap
If you cleaned the media with tap water you will have killed the bacteria, I'm afraid. The media should always be cleaned in old tank water that you take out during a water change. Washing the filter casing in tap water is OK, just not the media.

I would get one of the bottled bacteria products known to work - tetra Safe Start is the one most people recommend. But be prepared to do water changes to keep the fish safe.

I used to have a goldfish and I had to do 40-50% water change every week with no overfeeding. No matter how much you feed, they produce a lot of waste. I rehomed it to a pond eventually. IMO they are not fish suitable for aquarium tanks. So much work to clean and they grow so big.
If you cleaned the decorations and filter with tap water or soap though, then you killed your beneficial bacteria. Always clean them in old tank water when you do a water change and don't use any chemicals.
The recommended is a 20gal tank for fancy goldfish and a 30gal for a single common or comet goldfish, but only to the extent, your fish won’t reach maximum length inside this tank. Then, if I remember right, you need to add another 10gal for each extra fish you want to keep. If you have fancy goldfish I guess it will be ok but if you have comets/common/shubunkin, you will need at least a 60gal tank or rehome in the future.

Interesting, that should be adequate enough filtration for them. I guess with the overfeeding I can see how you got to that point though (unfortunately :( ) Were you treating with bacteria booster during setup as well? Sorry your cycling didn't go as planned. It is always so frustrating. I also try to only clean a portion of the substrate/plants (like 25% at a time) as to not disrupt the bacterial balance. Especially if the tank is extra dirty.

I like to use Microbe-Lift Special Blend Aquarium Bacteria, it does have sulfur in it so it stinks for about 30 minutes after dosing (like rotten egg farts.) But it has done my freshwater tank well, and my plants love it. (I'm sure there is better on the market, but it is slim pickings out here in the sticks and I take what I can get. Shipping anything in right now is impossible due to freezing temps, but if you're in an area where that won't be a problem there may be something better on the market for you.)
initially, 13 wks ago i had use api quick start. then 7 weeks ago, 2 had white spot disease, treated tank with high temps and salt, then i noticed the nitrite spike to 5ppm+, did frequent WC, then as of 10 days ago, 0 nitrite, and 2ppm ammonia.

it's been a high learning curve for me.

Also, are you creating your own filter media or are you using premade bags? Three step filtration is key with goldfish (most fish, honestly). I like activated carbon (not pellets, more "raw" form like chunks, bacteria adheres better.), bio stones, sponge and filter floss to top it all off.
as a new keeper learning the hobby, i used the pre-made bags

i've been contemplating if this is fish keeping is or (NOT) for me or i've selected the wrong fish species.

I used to have a goldfish and I had to do 40-50% water change every week with no overfeeding. No matter how much you feed, they produce a lot of waste. I rehomed it to a pond eventually. IMO they are not fish suitable for aquarium tanks. So much work to clean and they grow so big.
If you cleaned the decorations and filter with tap water or soap though, then you killed your beneficial bacteria. Always clean them in old tank water when you do a water change and don't use any chemicals.
The recommended is a 20gal tank for fancy goldfish and a 30gal for a single common or comet goldfish, but only to the extent, your fish won’t reach maximum length inside this tank. Then, if I remember right, you need to add another 10gal for each extra fish you want to keep. If you have fancy goldfish I guess it will be ok but if you have comets/common/shubunkin, you will need at least a 60gal tank or rehome in the future.
i have 4 baby red cap/oranda

it appears after numerous water changes and many newbie mistakes, my tank cycling has reset after 13 weeks. very disappointing and some lesson learned:

1. added too many fish almost all at once (initially 2 goldfish, then 2 weeks later another 2)
  2. fed too much, and subsequently too much waste
  3. cleaned out filter and media with tap
  4. remove too many rocks/stones/decor, which inadvertently removed the growing nitrifying bacteria
needless to say, it's been disappointing and frustrating process along the way....
What helped me was adding low light plants, and only using Spring Water with Proper PH. I would only feed the size of the fishes eye ball. Use a Turkey Baster immediately after each feeding and do only 10-15% water Changes weekly. If your Ammonia is raised double dose Seachem’s Prime every other day between water Changes weekly.

a week later, and now my readings are below:

76F
7.8 ph
ammonia 0.75ppm
nitrite 2ppm

it appears BB is growing and producing

I had an on-going struggle with the cycle as well. So bad I killed off something like 15 fish. It was frustratingly brutal and the worst feeling seeing my little buddies suffer and eventually die.
things I learned:
1. Use seachem products. They seem to work best. I used stability, pristine, and prime. Cycle got so outta control I was doing daily doses of pristine and stability to jump the bb as much as I could
2. Use old tank water to clean filter media.
3. Overfilter. I’m running a sun-sun 304b canister, an aqueon quietflow 10 hob, a exo-terra fx-350 canister (leftover from my turtle tank), and just added a powerhead filter attachment for water polishing.
4. pre-condition water before putting it in the tank. Luckily I have a spare 55 gallon tank I use to fill up add prime and ph regulator, then let it sit anywhere from 8-24 hours before changing water.
5. Add live plants.

1 SMALL fish for fish in cycles. Feed every 3 days.

More fish can be done, but for first timers to the hobby, 1 small fish is all you need. Just something in there producing food for the good guys. After a month, if all is good, you can add another fish, then monitor.

Goldfish aren't that bad. They can be "dirty" fish, but most times, it's overfeeding. People always want to make sure their little.fella is getting enough to eat, forgetting that 3 feedings a day ain't how nature works. We had a feeder one time grow to about 6 inches. Didn't cause any overloads in the tank. Was the craziest goldfish I ever saw.

As.for washing.media in tap.water......

If you need to clean your filter element, you're over feeding. Either that or you're over stocked.

That being said...

When I do clean mine, I use tap water every time.

The bacteria on your filter element in an established tank isn't your main source of conversion. Once your tank is established, you should be able to change entire filters without issues.

I will never understand why people have this massive obsession with filters. They provide more than just their miniscule bacterial conversion of chemicals.

I will never understand why people have this massive obsession with filters. They provide more than just their miniscule bacterial conversion of chemicals.
It's mainly to stop people who have just started a tank washing their media in tap water. Until the tank is fully established, tap water should not be used. The posts on here are read by many different people, and we need to make sure that people with new tanks understand not to use tap water.

I forgot to turn my filter back on after a water change and only realised this the following week. Ammonia and nitrite were zero. This tank has been running for 7 years, and the filter, substrate, decor etc came from another smaller tank when I upgraded. When I used mature media in my quarantine tank I tested it with ammonia and realised there were virtually no bacteria in that mature media. So I could probably use tap water to clean my filter media but at this time of year I'd rather use warm tank water than icy tap water.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back