129G Stocking Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I *think* we could get a 6x2x2 within that time frame, but of course am not 100% sure and that is why I know this is not recommended at all. Also not sure if 6x2x2 would be big enough, what do you think?
I wouldn't re-home it to just anyone, though of course even if they didn't plan on moving any time soon..their big tank could break, something could happen financially and they'd need to sell off all their tanks, etc. Lots of what if's.

Standing by BGK or bust. You have the tank for it now.

My opinion says a 127 is plenty for a BGK. If we are talking your average person plopping a large BGK in a tank with no plants/cover/care/food. Sure. I think Ninj is more than capable of watching and maintaning a BGK in a 127 - and in fact having one flourish. That is not going to be too small of a tank unless the oddball turns into an absolute monster anomaly. I think that is just the right tank size for one... obviously larger would be better, but not necessary.

Enjoy your BGK now. Keep the consideration of a larger tank in the back of your mind a couple of years down the road. :)

Ninjouzata said:
I *think* we could get a 6x2x2 within that time frame, but of course am not 100% sure and that is why I know this is not recommended at all. Also not sure if 6x2x2 would be big enough, what do you think?
I wouldn't re-home it to just anyone, though of course even if they didn't plan on moving any time soon..their big tank could break, something could happen financially and they'd need to sell off all their tanks, etc. Lots of what if's.
Remember that movie we watched once in chat ninja? It had footage of a bgk in the wild. It was huge too. Looked over 3 foot. It was beautiful too. It looked happy. Now if we put a 3 foot animal in a tank even if it's six foot... Doesn't really add up for me...
I mean sure the care in your 127 gallon would be better than most ( more than 95% probably ) bgk captive environments. I have no doubt you'd take good care of it.
Seems really a question of ethics rather than anything else.

The biggest captive ones I've heard of were 2ft, and that was from you and once or twice somewhere around google. That video is beautiful and I cannot guesstimate sizes from vids but it was pretty large it seemed.
Technically I can use the whole it'd have a better home with me than most but..you can use that to justify a lot of things that still shouldn't be done. :/ Like I said, I'm being a bit hypocritical with this.
I have no doubt I'd take good care of it too.

Dunno.gif

Around here, the local petsmart sells BGK all the time... The tank they recommend for a full grown one is 75 gallons and I've been there when they sold a baby one to someone that was going to keep it in a 20 gallon with African cichlids. 

I think keeping one in a 129 will be much better :) 

This was my dream fish a while before I even got to see one in person. I finally got to see one at Petsmart one day. Was really hard to walk away..and the card did say 75g.
Now what is annoying is the lady said I could keep it in my 55g if there weren't any other fish. At least stick to what your cards say!
confused.gif

Okay so..

1x Black Ghost Knife
1x Leopard Ctenopoma
1x Angelfish
1x Delhezi Bichir
1x Palmas Palmas Bichir
1x Palmas Buettikoferi Bichir
1x Striped Peacock Eel
6x Rosy Barbs

I think that's what we're looking at now? As have mentioned to you in chat ReMz I did find a compatibility list on another site saying peacock eels are fine with the smaller bichirs, which are the kind I'm getting.
Of course it'll depend on their personalities too. I'd like to do 8 rosy barbs but realize I am likely already pushing it with my current stocking.

Thoughts? I should be making a journal tomorrow so would like the stock list to be pretty much set.
smile.png

*Edit* The BGK, ctenopoma, angel, eel, and barbs will be in the tank by themselves for a good while til they gain size. Bichirs added later. I think I mentioned that before but wanted to say it again.
I hope I can stick to adding the bichirs later..at the most the delhezi will be added, but the other two I will likely have to order online or something. I'd love to add a senegal too but I'm pushing as is.
Rambling to myself really right now. Excited. :p I woke up at 5:45 pm as my sleep schedule is wonky. Staying up til we can leave around 9:30 or 10 am to head to the LFS to talk to them about prices and such.

I kept my BGK in a 55 for about 6 months while he grew out and I wouldn't have kept him in there much longer than that, that's so ridiculous to me.

Your stocking sounds pretty good to me.  I always thought the peacock eels were pretty boring, they just hide in the substrate all the time, haha, but they are cool when they come out.  Also the angels usually like to be in groups but I think they do okay alone, too.

Definitely post pictures, lots and lots!!

I've heard differing things. Some people theirs just hide in the substrate. Others it's all over the place!
I'm okay with either one, I love my bamboo shrimp and can't see it unless I put my head between the tv stand and the tank since he hangs on the back of a piece of mesh I have for him.

I don't want to do a group of angels as eventually they'd pair up and getting a bit too rowdy. I know my dad would love that though. One day! :)

Can't wait to start posting pics, I've shown a good few people the tank when we first got it, but we had to fix some things..so they'll get to see that when I start the journal ^^

I had a small peacock eel in a 55 gallon tank for all of about 2 days.  He buried himself in the gravel 30 seconds after I added him to the tank and I never saw him again. I would only assume he was coming out sometimes because I would come back to one less tetra, haha.  Catching him to return him to the LFS was an absolute nightmare.  I had to take out over half the gravel in the tank.  But then the other day I was at the LFS and there was a peacock eel just chilling on a piece of shale.  I think if you can get them comfortable enough to hang out around the tank more they are very neat looking fish.  Mine just didn't work out :)

I'm curious to see how long it takes you to start handfeeding your BGK.  I've heard so many different timelengths and really wonder if it depends on the fish or the persistence of the owner.  Both, probably!

This tank will have sand so hopefully that'll help. I'm also curious how long it will take to hand feed, if it'll let me do that at all even! I really hope I can :D

From what I have read the Ctenopoma are very nervous unless in a group.  Good luck with the new tank!  I will be checking for the journal :)

Really? Can you help me a bit on that? I had read you should have one or 3+ because they get territorial or something like that.
confused.gif
Shall do some more research!
If my ctenopoma needs a group then I will just have to cut one of the other fish out..likely the eel but am not sure how much bioload that has compared to two more ctenopoma.

I will link to the journal when it's put up so you don't miss it
biggrin.png

*Edit* I mainly rely on Seriouslyfish, which I know it's best to have multiple sources but that is the main one I use..and it does not mention that they need to be kept in a group, but that there shouldn't be any overly large or agressive fish. It does say if you want a group you'll need a large tank and need to add them simultaneously or you could have a territorial battle.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/ctenopoma-acutirostre/

Badmans is my other site, and he mentions that they do not get along well together unless there is lots of space and lots of different territory to claim

http://www.badmanstropicalfish.com/forum/index.php?topic=17568.0

I hope it's okay to link these, and am not being like NO YOU'RE WRONG at ya Blobfish, just showing the stuff I've found so far that led me to believe they don't need a group.
I do know they're shy and such which is why I did not go for rainbowfish (plus their price) because they're too boisterous and apparently spook ctenopoma. Learned that from n0body of the goat. :p

Young Ctenopoma do tend to do better in groups, but as adults a singleton is fine. A lot get brought back to stores because they were bought small and eventually started eating the small fish in the community tank in which they were placed, maybe look out for one of these?

Certainly can try! The only place I know of that gets them is Petsmart, and then I'd have to order them in at Pet Land or my LFS.

Do you have any opinions on the schooling fish?

I'd be concerned about Rosy Barbs on two issues, they are temperate fish that would live better quality and longer lives in a heaterless tank that changed temp with the seasons, plus especially while being kept in warm water needed for everyone else they would be zippy as well as greedier eaters (upsetting the bushfish at least).

Look to placid movers/feeders that are happy in tropical temps, the one that immediately spring to mind are a group of ~10 Congo Tetras, making sure young purchases are given some time to grow before adding any predators that might consider young ones as live lunch. Another alternative are the smaller and very social Distichodus altus (I have 3 juveniles) or affinis (that they were ordered as!). These guys have very deep bodies even at ~8cm long, my three must be ~5cm deep and very safe from my ~14cm Chrysichthys ornatus; ~12cm Ctenopoma acutirostre trio (sadly lost a runt 4th recently); ~18cm Synodontis budgetti (who ate a tank load of Neon Tetra and Krib fry before being adopted by me).

Another possibility, outside my experiences, could perhaps be a schoal from Dollar/Red Hook characins from South America.

Sorry for not replying to your last PM by the way, I was in hospital for a while and still in recovery.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back