FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Hiya
biggrin.png
I had a 75g thread but we were able to get something larger.
This tank is 72"x18"x23", which by the calculator is 129g. I realize it's less once you add in decor and whatnot.

I have got most of the stocking figured out but need some help on the numbers still, I think.

For now we have a Sunsun HW304-B canister filter. We'll add another later on, or hopefully something stronger.
The fish will be purchased small so should have some time to get that other filter.
smile.png

1x Black Ghost Knife
1x Leopard Ctenopoma
1x Angelfish
1x Delhezi Bichir
1x Palmas Palmas Bichir
1x Palmas Beuttikoferi Bichir
6x Rosy Barbs

My biggest concern is the rosy barbs, I have read their max size being anything from 3" to 6", and I don't want the bichirs eating them.
I know nothing is 100% safe but I'd like the best chance I can get.

The bichirs will be added later on after the other fish have had time to grow, further lessening the burden on the filter at the beginning.

I know the angelfish is a little out of place, but it's for my father. He loves them, and I'm hoping if it doesn't work out that I can move it to my 55g.
Would this be possible, or is there too much in my 55g already? I have the stocking for that on my profile.

Thank you for any responses, they are greatly appreciated!
smile.png

Ninj. I like the list as it stands. I wouldn't add to that. Open to see what some others say (don't cry overstocked plz guys).

The bichirs are plenty with the BGK spending time at the bottom.

There is a risk of the barbs becoming food, but you are going to need some very hungry, large, and opportunistic bichirs.I would personally like to see silver dollars, but know that is not an option with you planted tank. BTW, being a heavily planted tank will make your selections even better compared to a wide open tank like some do.

Need a second filter down the road, but you know that.

Angels seem to be pretty low bioload from my experience. As long as you have the room for them and keep up with maintenance, just have to make sure they aren't getting bullied or bullying other fish too much.

Oi, I forgot to add the striped peacock eel! :( I really do want one. Obviously I can do without, but if I can do that then would really like to be given some reassurance there.

I'd like some silver dollars..I know I've said before that they're ugly but I keep seeing 'em and they're cute chubby guys. I do not want them in this tank though because they're lawn mowers.
My tank won't be heavily planted, though I'd like for it to be! I'm just not experienced with plants.

The angel's bioload isn't my concern it's it nipping others or being nipped. :(

Water changes I think will be 25% weekly as the fish are small, then increasing up to 50% as they grow. Is this too little you think or will that be fine?

The only fish on your list I've really had any experiene with are the BGK and the angels.  Overall I'd say you have a pretty nice list, however I've been told that a full-grown BGK can even chow down on a fullgrown angelfish, so I guess you will just have to watch them closely.  I kept them together and they were fine, but mine were juveniles.  One thing I did notice with my BGK is that he got a little stressed with any sort of fast moving schooling fish around. That may have just been my personal fish, though.  He was very finicky.

Angels are extremely tall, I don't see a BGK's mouth being able to open that tall, though their mouths are huge! I hope that doesn't happen :c
I will definitely keep an eye on everyone though, I don't want anyone getting eaten.

Didn't really think of the BGK getting spooked by schooling fish, though I had read the ctenopoma would be spooked by rainbowfish and that was my go to at the time and I've had to change the schoolers.
These are cheaper anyways and prettier imo, I hope the bichirs don't eat them.

What'd you feed your BGK? :)

When mine was small I added 10 neon tetras into the tank.  He got so stressed out that he basically fried his tail with his little electric sensor, it was bright red and raw.  Took the neons out, he went back to normal.  After he got a little bigger I added in 8 blackskirts with the same result.  Decided to just give up on the schooling fish after that, haha.  I don't think the fact that it was a school bothered him so much as that they were constantly darting back and forth.

He mostly ate frozen beefheart. When he got a little bigger I would occasionally add a guppy or a platy into the tank for him.  I never actually saw him eat them but I would wake up to them gone the next day so I assume they were BGK chow.   

I had to get him trained to handfeed right away because my angels were little jerks that would swim into his tunnels to steal the food right out of his mouth.  That was really the only problem that he had with the angels, they never nipped him or anything.  When I first added them to the tank they were really interested in him and followed him around a lot but he was about twice their size and they seemed to know better than to bite at him.  He didn't seem interested in them either.  In fact one time I had to provide assistance to one of the angels that clamped it's fins as tight as it could to squeeze into a hamster tube I had in there that was his favorite hiding spot.  He was on the other end of the tube and the stuck angel would have been an easy target but he either didn't notice it was there or didn't care. 

Poor thing! :( So you successfully hand fed him? Around how long did it take you?
Your angels were meanies :c I hope that one in the hamster tube wasn't too hurt.

I never really consider the angels to be mean.  They saw food and assumed it was there's, I guess :)  The one in the hamster tubing actually ended up being fine.  He could still swim out of it, he just couldn't swim backwards and the ghost was blocking his way out the other end, so he started to panic a little bit.  Knowing how stupid this particular fish was, he probably saw a floating speck inside the tube and wanted to eat it. 

He took to handfeeding fairly well, actually.  He was alone in the tank for about a month before the angels.  For that month it was hit or miss but once I added something in there that was stealing his food, he took to it quickly.  I'd say I had him successfully eating out of my hand every time after 2 months.  At first I would get my hand as close as he would let me without darting away and then I'd drop the food there and he would eat it up.  Eventually that distance was smaller and smaller until he worked up the courage to take it right out of my hand.  Before he passed he was so tame that all I had to do was stick my hand in the tank, with food or not, and he would come swimming over and weave in and out of my fingers.  He would also nip at me if I had any little cuts on my hands, so beware.  I don't think he was being aggressive in anyway, I just figured he's practically blind and for all he knew my hang nail was a piece of food.  Hurt pretty bad sometimes, though!

I hope I didn't offend you with the mean comment. I didn't mean it very seriously. Omnomnom! I'm glad he was alright :D

That seems quite fast, I think that's a lovely time frame. I hope the one I get will allow me to do this as well. That is how I planned on doing it, getting closer and closer until it becomes comfortable :)
Sounds super adorable weaving in and out of your fingers! Am used to some of our fish nipping at me but imagine a BGK would hurt a little.
I'll be careful but am not going to get mad or anything, as like you say they likely don't know any better. Even if it was on purpose I don't think I could get mad :wub:

Thank you for answering my questions by the way!

He had a very excited "yay, food!" wiggle that he would do while he was trying to eat something.  That alone made it impossible not to just think "aww", even if it was my own flesh that he was trying to tear apart
innocent.gif

Well.... I do think there is some mis-information about BGK's here. Would like to get back to the stocking and Ninj having a peacock eel.

Ficklefins, how long have you had your BGK? sounds like you have had some awesome results!

I honestly wouldn't put a bgk in a 127 gallon. Any chance you'd swap it for a smaller knife?

I had him for about two years. He was happy and healthy as could be until the tank he was in leaked and he didn't make it. I really really love the species and if I ever decide to try a bigger tank again after that experience a BGK would definitely be in it :)

I had originally planned on a Brown Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Leptorhynchus), TT. But I have asked a few people I trust around here and they believe I will be okay with the BGK.
I am trying to think of what size to re-home or upgrade him at, IF it comes to that. I'd think around the 16" mark but not sure. Do you think a 6x2x2 would be alright or still too small once it got to that size?
I know we usually tell others to not get a fish we can't home for life and such, so I am being a bit of a hypocrite.
As you already know it's my dream fish and having this size tank..the temptation is a little too strong for me to resist. :/

Ninjouzata said:
I had originally planned on a Brown Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Leptorhynchus), TT. But I have asked a few people I trust around here and they believe I will be okay with the BGK.
I am trying to think of what size to re-home or upgrade him at, IF it comes to that. I'd think around the 16" mark but not sure. Do you think a 6x2x2 would be alright or still too small once it got to that size?
I know we usually tell others to not get a fish we can't home for life and such, so I am being a bit of a hypocrite.
As you already know it's my dream fish and having this size tank..the temptation is a little too strong for me to resist. :/
I'd estimate about 16 inch would be the right size to move him on. I would still reccomend against it. Plans change and fail. The person you move him on to could move away or take down their tank.
The question you must ask is are your able to obtain a larger tank in the next 1-3 years?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back