FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Ninjouzata

Two Eels Are Better Than One
Chatroom Moderator
Reaction score
Thought I should go ahead and finally start my journal
smile.png

The dimensions of this tank are 72"x18"x23", coming to 129g.

Stocking
1 Black Ghost Knife (Apteronotus Albifrons)
1 Leopard Ctenopoma (Ctenopoma Acutirostre)
1 Striped Peacock Eel (Macrognathus Siamensis)
2 Angelfish
3 Bichirs (Polypterus Delhezi, Palmas Palmas, Palmas Buettikoferi)

We have not decided on schooling fish, and we may forego these to add more bichirs. The bichirs will be added last since they're likely to try and eat smaller tankmates.

Plants

Big
Amazon Sword (Echinodorus Amazonicus)
Melon Sword (Echinodorus Osiris)
Aponogeton Ulvaceus (Aponogeton Ulvaceus)
Tiger Lotus (Nymphaea Lotus 'Zenkeri')
Cryptocoryne (Cryptocoryne Balansae)

Stems
Watersprite (Ceratopteris Thalictroides)
Red Ludwigia (Ludwigia Repens)

Medium
Java Fern (Microsorum Pteropus)
African Water Fern (Bolbitis Heudelotii)

Small
Banana plant (Nymphoides Aquatica)
Cryptocorynes (Cryptocoryne Wendtii Red & Green)
Anubias (Anubias Barteri Nana)

Carpet
Four Leaf Clover/Water Shamrock (Marsilea Quadrifolia)

Floating
Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium Laevigatum)

Attached
Java Moss (Taxiphyllum Barbieri)

Lighting is 2 36" Current USA Satellite Freshwater LED+
Will be dosing Flourish Excel and EI based NPK + CSM+B <-- I'm not sure if that explains much. Using anything for plants is very new to me but trying to give as much info about this tank as I can 
blush.png

We'll be using black petco sand for substrate, PVC pipes (siliconed and coated in the sand to blend in) for caves, and hopefully manzanita driftwood.

The filters are going to be a SunSun HW-304B and an Aqua-Tech 30-60. Later on will try and add another canister.

Picture time! Some of these may be kind of pointless..when taking the pics I was very excited so anything was important
tongue2.gif

So here's the silicone, the sander, and a water pump which we are going to use to empty the tank when doing water changes.
SAM_3045_zps269371d4.jpg

The reason for this is that the current siphon we use, hooks up to the faucet. The faucets must be turned on to take out water..so cleaning the tank uses a lot of water. 
We'll still use that to actually vacuum the substrate, but after being done with that I'll use the pump to remove water quickly.

Here's the SunSun ^^ It's my first canister so was very happy and excited when it arrived!
SAM_3037_zps9b962299.jpg

SAM_3039_zps5decbf86.jpg

SAM_3038_zps49f1c6fb.jpg

We also got 2 300W Aqueon heaters.
SAM_3044_zpsa0c0c41f.jpg

We bought the tank&stand used, and it is from '99 so not the prettiest.

SAM_2501_zps247dbfa0.jpg

It needed new hinges, some handles, sanding, and paint. My dad is amazing and did most of it, though he let me help with some of the painting and sanding
tongue2.gif

SAM_3119_zpsf2c8cb26.jpg

SAM_3124_zps838c5917.jpg

SAM_3114_zps6773cfc2.jpg

Moved upstairs..you may notice the doors are a little off. It was like that when we got it and apparently can't be fixed? I don't think it's too noticeable.

SAM_3191_zps8012d37d.jpg

Here's the PVC I mentioned, they're 4" in diameter. Thinking 3 10" long pieces to form a pyramid, with 1 12" piece on each side of the pyramid.
These will be pointing in from the back corners of the tank. The driftwood I hope to get will form a V with the PVC pyramid in the back center. Hopefully that makes sense.
SAM_3122_zps4612b12f.jpg

We also needed to sand and paint the trim. It ran the first time so took a lot of tries again to make it look right.

SAM_3249_zps2eaacb45.jpg

SAM_3303_zps900155b9.jpg

Today, we cleaned the glass a bit more, though still some imperfections. They shouldn't show with water in the tank though. At least it didn't when we first filled it.
We also added the background!

SAM_3308_zps5ae64751.jpg

This has been in motion for a little while so already had many pics and progress to share. I hope that doesn't make it too boring!

That is it for right now, tomorrow the tank will be moved upstairs (hopefully) and perhaps we can get the sand in too!

Huge thanks to: Alasse, blondielovesfish, Ch4rlie, daizeUK, eaglesaquarium, Ech0o, EllieJellyEllie, Gizaroo2, N0body Of The Goat, ReMz, SamB, Supraman, TallTree01, TwoTankAmin, and WildBetta!
Ya'll always answer my questions and give me your much needed opinions. It is really appreciated.

Really hope I didn't miss anyone
laugh.png

Really nicely done.  I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Ryan10 said:
Really nicely done.  I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Thank you! And I lied. I had one more thing to add.
We already picked up the angelfish, they're hanging out in my 55g til the 129 is ready :p They are in the stocking for my dad, so he picked them out.

Can't sex them yet as they're too small. I consider this more colored up one the male though. He eats anything we put in.

SAM_3231_zps224c4730.jpg

And here is the paler one, I'm not sure if she's not coloring up due to stress or if this is how she's supposed to look. Have only seen her eat a betta pellet, and a few bloodworms.

SAM_3251_zps3f0fc644.jpg

FTS of the 55g to show their size. They're on the right.

SAM_3219_zps39365bd4.jpg

brilliant nin! im very excited for the stock especially the ghost knife! ! looks like a lot of hard work and its really showing, it's looking great! congratsll

BigTuna said:
brilliant nin! im very excited for the stock especially the ghost knife! ! looks like a lot of hard work and its really showing, it's looking great! congratsll
Thank you so much! I'm also really excited, and for the same reason. I think you already know the BGK is my dream fish. :D

I think it's mainly been hard work on my dad, at least physically. I have spent a good bit of time asking questions and looking around on the interwebz to try and make sure this stocking will be okay together.

OMG! You told me what you were doing with the tank to get it prepped. I did not imagine this much craft work was going into it. Very nice job and kudos to your dad for rolling up his sleeves on this project. Tell him a job well done! And no way he could have even started all this prep w/o you. Looks to be a great team.

Cant wait to see the updates. Things are finally moving along! Very very very exciting :D

Soon a wigglin little dude is going to be the star of that tank. ... a Big Granite Kite... nothing like those strange things that defy gravity. :p

I want that Background!! haha

Looking forward for the progress!! :)

ReMz said:
OMG! You told me what you were doing with the tank to get it prepped. I did not imagine this much craft work was going into it. Very nice job and kudos to your dad for rolling up his sleeves on this project. Tell him a job well done! And no way he could have even started all this prep w/o you. Looks to be a great team.

Cant wait to see the updates. Things are finally moving along! Very very very exciting
biggrin.png

Soon a wigglin little dude is going to be the star of that tank. ... a Big Granite Kite... nothing like those strange things that defy gravity.
tongue2.gif
Of course! It has to look great for my big granite kite! :lol: You're too funny.
I will definitely let my dad know what you said. He's great :)

Btw, went into Petsmart and they had the striped peacock eel, BGK, and leopard ctenopoma. So sad. >.<

AquaPit said:
I want that Background!! haha

Looking forward for the progress!!
smile.png
I love this background! :D

Wow ninja. That's a big tank.... :lol:
Looks great so far. Beautiful angels. :good:

TallTree01 said:
Wow ninja. That's a big tank....
laugh.png

Looks great so far. Beautiful angels.
good.gif
It's taller than me! Lengthwise anyways. I don't think it's taller than you though.. :p
Thank you & they are pretty little fellows! The way they move their fins is quite neat.

Beautiful tank Ninj, love the paint job and looks very smart indeed.

The background poster is nice, i'm liking that a lot.

Filters looking good and like your plans for plants, will look stunning when everything is set up.

Can't wait for more pics 
laugh.png

Very exciting!  Nice work on the tank and the angels look beautiful!

Ch4rlie said:
Beautiful tank Ninj, love the paint job and looks very smart indeed.

The background poster is nice, i'm liking that a lot.

Filters looking good and like your plans for plants, will look stunning when everything is set up.

Can't wait for more pics 
laugh.png
Thank you so much! I can't get over the stand ;-;~

daizeUK said:
Very exciting!  Nice work on the tank and the angels look beautiful!
Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Back