125L Sajica Cichlid Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jamepsss

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Over Christmas I decided it was time to rehome all my little community fishes and start a NW Cichlid (breeding) tank. I started a thread on this forum a long time ago threatening to do it and asking for species advice etc. Now I've finally done it and I decided on Sajica's. I picked up what I hope is a pair at weekend and although they're still very shy and timid they are starting to settle in. I'm not planning on adding any other fish to this tank at this stage.

Spot the fishes...
P1010858.JPG

This layout is subject to change. The idea was to use lava rock with a moss covering but it looked better in my head than in reality. I've added a blue tube in the back just to distinguish it further from my planted tank but it's a bit bluer than I thought so I might decide to put it back as it was soon. The floating plants are cuttings from my planted tank for cover.

P1010871.JPG

Female above and male below?

Looks good, the fish are pretty and I like the moss on the rocks :good:. Not sure about the blue light though ...

love it the tank looks cool and will be better with age

Ive been after sajica myself for ages so looking forward to watching this

Looks great James, I have always wanted T-Bars myself. The female is the fish above as you correctly stated. The eye spot on her dorsal fin gives it away.

Is the rock accessable for them? seems like a bit of dead space if not? It will look great when the moss grows, i would be tempted to go with something like Riccia though as it will stay smaller. I would also revert back to the normal bulb, the blue doesn't show them off as well imo. (Although, try it at the front first.)

As for no other fish, i would add a couple of target fish... Maybe something like 2 or 3 Platies?

Yeah i see the gaps and caves etc... Just unsure if it was all useable or not? Lava rock can be rough so if the fish are trying to squeeze through them then they could get damaged. Also, if the male turns on the female during breeding and she has no where to go or it is a little tight then the same may happen.

Just saying...

Looks good, the fish are pretty and I like the moss on the rocks :good:. Not sure about the blue light though ...

Cheers, me neither. :lol:

love it! Look forward to following this one....

Cheers mate.

love it the tank looks cool and will be better with age

Ive been after sajica myself for ages so looking forward to watching this

Thanks mate, hopefully they'll breed. They're not supposed to be too fussy about selecting a mate so we'll see. When the moss gets going it will be better.

I like the rock layout, but maybe add some other plants at different levels in the crevices that grow on them?

Thanks. Possibly, but I want to keep it as low maintenance as possible. It's inevitable that I'll change things though.

Looks great James, I have always wanted T-Bars myself. The female is the fish above as you correctly stated. The eye spot on her dorsal fin gives it away.

Is the rock accessable for them? seems like a bit of dead space if not? It will look great when the moss grows, i would be tempted to go with something like Riccia though as it will stay smaller. I would also revert back to the normal bulb, the blue doesn't show them off as well imo. (Although, try it at the front first.)

As for no other fish, i would add a couple of target fish... Maybe something like 2 or 3 Platies?

Cheers mate. There are hiding places in the rocks for them. I've actually siliconed a lot of the rocks together in groups of like 3 or 4 so they're more stable. The blue light is not doing it for me either so the old tube will be going back I reckon.

I find it a bit hard to guess the size, Minnnt but I see several caves in the rockwork, especially on the left hand side...

Yeah i see the gaps and caves etc... Just unsure if it was all useable or not? Lava rock can be rough so if the fish are trying to squeeze through them then they could get damaged. Also, if the male turns on the female during breeding and she has no where to go or it is a little tight then the same may happen.

Just saying...

Thanks both for all your points, all noted. The tank as it stands now is by no means the finished article. The last of the fish were rehomed Saturday morning, then the tank had a major clean in the early afternoon, then the rocks were added after that and I picked the fish up just before closing. So it was all a bit rushed but I wanted to do it all in the same day for the filter.

I still love the tank, just thought i would make a point of it incase you had over looked it.

Try a soft lighting tube, something around 5k. I would have them for both. Nice for breeding as they're not too white so offer the fish a little 'privacy' if that makes sense?

The nauchal hump that male T-Bars develop alot of the time is fantastic.

I still love the tank, just thought i would make a point of it incase you had over looked it.

Try a soft lighting tube, something around 5k. I would have them for both. Nice for breeding as they're not too white so offer the fish a little 'privacy' if that makes sense?

The nauchal hump that male T-Bars develop alot of the time is fantastic.

Cheers mate. I've seen lots of pics and vids of adult Sajica males and they look amazing.

You have an ability for producing very nice tanks.

You have an ability for producing very nice tanks.

Thanks very much!

but where are the updates?

Really sorry for the lack of updates. The good news is that they have had babies, I spotted a couple of them swimming about last week and the mother got them in her mouth and spat them out back behind the rocks. Bad news is that I've not seen them since.

I've added some bigger rocks in to this tank now, I'll get pics soon I promise. Only trouble with this tank is that the lack of plants is causing a lot of algae.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back