125 Gallon Stocking Suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ron

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was originally going to have a heavy brackish ecosystem in my new 125 gallon aquarium. After doing research of the fishes and etc, I realized if I'm going to have a heavy brackish aquarium why go with the dull green and brown colored brackish fish when I might as well go with the very vibrant marine fishes.

Anyways, I'm looking for stocking ideas. The only two things that I have in mind, which I want to be included are:
1- Dog Faced Puffer
10+ - Green Chromis

I really dont want to get involved with live rock or corals- so that would not allow fish that need live rock in their ecosystem.

The rest is up to you!
Thanks!

Your question is a little vague but I'll try to help. :D Guess you could go a few ways with this FOWLR setup, since you've already chosen dog puffer/chromis, I'll try to add from that. Eels are out of the question as you don't want live rock (or minimal LR)...perhaps a peaceful triggerfish, yellow/blue tang, angelfish (Dwarf or large), radiata lionfish, banana wrasse to name a few. Obviously not all of those together, but I'm just throwing around a few interesting ones. :) May I ask why the 10 green chromis are wanted? I assume perhaps a group of fish for interest?

Just one last thing about live rock - it'd be best you get at least some as live rock is really an integral part of the SW ecosystem. :good:

Edit: Just remembered that with the Chromis in there, it takes away the lionfish and possibly the trigger.

Edit 2: You could go two ways with thise setup actually - Predatory or Peaceful. Peaceful being the one with chromis, tangs, clownfish, angels etc. And predatory being the one with Triggers, Lions, Eels, etc.

Some Triggers aren't at all aggressive, even when several times the size of their tankmates :good:

Also I believe a user on this board kept a Lionfish with Clownfish (Mr Miagi). :drool:

But I agree with Eelzor about live rock being needed for a saltwater system. All fish need it.

You could get a smaller Halichoeres or Thalassoma (Banana) Wrasse, which would add a lot of colour and activity. Chromis are nice fish, but can get boring fast to those with short attention spans. :D Not to say you are one, though. :)

-Lynden

Thats interesting about the chromis being boring...how so? I don't want boring fish in my tank.

Thanks for the comments, right now here is the plan:
1- Dog Faced Puffer
10- Green Chromis
1- Male Bird Wrasse
1- Dwarf Bicolor Angel

I love the looks of the Banana Wrasse, could it get along with the Bird Wrasse? How about a Lieutenant Tang as well?

It looks as though I will get Liverock after all, hopefully about 50 lbs made up of mostly base rock under peices of live rock.

I have 2 power Penguin HOB filters, 1 150 Seaclone Protien skimmer. Salinity will be low, at 1.018.

Some Triggers aren't at all aggressive, even when several times the size of their tankmates :good:

I might recommend the niger triggerfish for a peaceful setup - one of the more peaceful triggers although the occasional aggression during feeding.

Also I believe a user on this board kept a Lionfish with Clownfish (Mr Miagi). :drool:

I assume it's a small dwarf lionfish with a large clarkii or something is it? (Just that whenever I hear people keeping lionfish with clownfish I picture a big volitans with a percula.) :lol: :X

Thats interesting about the chromis being boring...how so? I don't want boring fish in my tank.

I dunno, from the pics I've seen of them they look like simple marine fish. I've seen some freshwater species that look similar. I guess my main thought here is for a 125g, you have a hell of a lot more variety and colours/shapes/personalities to choose from.

Thanks for the comments, right now here is the plan:
1- Dog Faced Puffer
10- Green Chromis
1- Male Bird Wrasse
1- Dwarf Bicolor Angel

Seems fine, got your dogs n' birds all set to go. :D From some research the male bird wrasse seems to be aggressive. Someone with experience might be able to helpout on that one. Go to LiveAquaria.com, it's a helpful site where you can find the temparement and compatibility of all sorts of fish - you might find others that you might like too.

I love the looks of the Banana Wrasse, could it get along with the Bird Wrasse? How about a Lieutenant Tang as well?

The tang is compatible with most, so that ones fine. The wrasses I'm not sure on - the bird wrasse has a strong personality and could cause probs. Again, someone else might be able to fill you in on that one.

It looks as though I will get Liverock after all, hopefully about 50 lbs made up of mostly base rock under peices of live rock.

Good! :good: Now you can get an eel/and or other fish that require shelter if you desire. :D

I have 2 power Penguin HOB filters, 1 150 Seaclone Protien skimmer. Salinity will be low, at 1.018.

Salinity should be around 1.024 for this setup. Also with that filtration it may greatly reduce the tank supporting bioload for the aquarium. A refugium/sump filtration setup would be recommended. Just a reassurance that not every single fish mentioned in this post can be in the tank. You can choose a few and make a decision from there. :)

Keep us updated :good:

Thanks alot, eelzor. I do want a schooling fish of some sort, though. Are there any other, better marine schoolers avaiable?

If you have a 125 gallon tank, you could get a school of beautiful Anthias :good:

Eelzor: the Lion was a Dwarf Zebra, and it was with Ocellarises. Love to have one myself, but not willing to dangle food in front of it's mouth everyday :crazy: yet, anyways. Besides, my Triggers would annihilate 'im. :eek:

Wrasses are an extremely varied family, you have tons of choices in this department. Just avoid giants like the Napoleon Wrasse :crazy: and the Coris wrasses can reach an impressive size as well.

I think that a Trumpetfish would be an excellent candidate for a larger tank. Having seen dozens of wild Trumpetfish, however, I can say that they get very large and long. Think of a 3', super-predatory Seahorse :crazy: a Trumpetfish will likely match that vision.

Niger Triggers are very beautiful. My own set-up contains one and a Pinktail Trigger. They do occasionally fight (as much as once per day), but thankfully, the fights are not one sided, with either Trigger having a chance at victory. After a fight, they will stay away from eachother, presumably brooding :rolleyes: but soon enough they will resume swimming alongside eachother. Makes an impressive sight. :good:

-Lynden

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back