125 gal failure

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

thank you everyone. is this aquarium done . is the aquarium just a waste of my TIME ??????
If you have binned the braces, you might get away with going to a glaziers and buying two narrow pieces of glass to be fixed down each side on the inside as side braces, then a couple more pieces of glass to go crossways (like a bridge) from one side brace to the other.

However by the time you have done all that, you might have spent the equivalent of a totally new aquarium which would be less troublesome on the nerves (and potential insurance claims in future)

I would say the removal of the braces, if they can't be replaced, has destroyed the tank. Cut glass repairs are fine, but they are held on by silicone and that breaks away quite often. Plus they make the original brace look like nothing at all. They are ugly additions.

I don't think so as I mentioned above you can definitely redo the center braces on the tank. You can either buy a center brace or you can make one out of strips of glass or acrylic that you will glue onto the frame of the tank. It's not like 125 gallons are cheap so trying to fix it is worth the time in my opinion.

First GE supreme clear silicone is known to not properly cure if past the expiration date by even a short time. Also I would not trust it for aquarium usage as many of their tubes actually state that it is not for aquarium use. Some seem to have no issue and swear by the stuff but I have a hunch this was with smaller tanks with less pressure.

Removing the braces, as has been pointed out, was not a good idea. It is like removing a load bearing wall in a house. The stability of the structure is weakened.

No, the tank is probably not a waste as glass is an odd thing. Glass is what is called a amorphous solid which means that it is in a state that carries properties of both liquid and solids. Replace the braces and the probable result will be that the glass straightens itself out to comply to the new structural backing. Glass actually flows. Take a 100 year old pane of glass and measure top and bottom. It will be thicker at the bottom. Sorry, going deeper than needed but stuff like this interest me. Glass, like water, is a really interesting compound if you look into the properties. Water is REALLY off the wall. It is the only known compound that is higher in volume in BOTH solid and gaseous states.

Here is a decent, and mostly plain English, article on what glass actually is.

First GE supreme clear silicone is known to not properly cure if past the expiration date by even a short time. Also I would not trust it for aquarium usage as many of their tubes actually state that it is not for aquarium use. Some seem to have no issue and swear by the stuff but I have a hunch this was with smaller tanks with less pressure.

Removing the braces, as has been pointed out, was not a good idea. It is like removing a load bearing wall in a house. The stability of the structure is weakened.

No, the tank is probably not a waste as glass is an odd thing. Glass is what is called a amorphous solid which means that it is in a state that carries properties of both liquid and solids. Replace the braces and the probable result will be that the glass straightens itself out to comply to the new structural backing. Glass actually flows. Take a 100 year old pane of glass and measure top and bottom. It will be thicker at the bottom. Sorry, going deeper than needed but stuff like this interest me. Glass, like water, is a really interesting compound if you look into the properties. Water is REALLY off the wall. It is the only known compound that is higher in volume in BOTH solid and gaseous states.

Here is a decent, and mostly plain English, article on what glass actually is.
I don't know if that article mentions that, but I just learned today that water can freeze into over 20 different types of ice. One of them being an amorphous state, which means that it does not have its usual crystalline structure (usual to us). This form usually exists in space and can be in various states of density. Another neat thing is as it melts it releases an explosive amount of energy in the form of heat. This is something that I would love to learn more about, but it's on a tangent of what this post is for so I apologize for that.

Does anyone know if Tenecor aquariums located in Arizona is still in business?????
Using Bing and using 'Tenecor aquariums' as the search I found the following in Phoenix.

Here is their contact page:

If you have binned the braces, you might get away with going to a glaziers and buying two narrow pieces of glass to be fixed down each side on the inside as side braces, then a couple more pieces of glass to go crossways (like a bridge) from one side brace to the other.

However by the time you have done all that, you might have spent the equivalent of a totally new aquarium which would be less troublesome on the nerves (and potential insurance claims in future)
I was looking into a DYI 220 and I read that the braces are support for the glass. Buy the expensive silicone it works and add some supports back. Plastic welder at Harbour freight is less than $20 . Pics of my 125g attached

Attachments

• 20230121_074510.jpg
    20230121_074510.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230119_083944.jpg
    20230119_083944.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 20

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back