10g Ideas Needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

xtraman122

Reaction score
I've decided to turn an extra 10 gallon I had lying around into a community tank and I'd love some advice on stocking ideas. I was thinking of doing a sand substrate as I've never done one before and would like to try it on a small tank first. I was also considering making it a planted tank as well, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with all the hassle of the CO2, food, etc. I was thinking of something along the lines of-

2-3x 3 Lined Corys

1x Chain Loach

3-5x Fancy Guppies

1x African Butterfly Fish

2x Dwarf Gourami

7-10x Ghost Shrimp

Like I said, this is just an idea. I was also considering have just some small African Shelldwellers, or very small Puffers. But I think I'd have many more possibilities with a tropical community.

Thanks in advance, Pete

Ya, I was thinking they might be a little much. I was also considering one of the smaller pleco's.

I'm biased, but how about the Dwarf Puffers? I LOVE mine and they're in a similar size tank. They are such EXCELLENT little characters and I love watching mine all the time :D

A tip on dwarf gourami...they're weak and prone to DGD Dwarf Gourami Disease. I bought some a while back and am only left with 2 now :(

Guppies can be hit and miss...so many of them these days are interbred to the degree that they too are weak and prone to illness.

Go for the DPs...you won't regret it :lol:

It's funny you say that because I had been considering making it a puffer tank. But if I did that I could only have other puffers in there, right? I kind of wanted to have more of a variety, and I don't even know where I could my hands on one around here. I really don't have any regular "LFS's". Mainly just Petsmart/Petco and everybody knows how healthy the fish that come out of there are, and they alos mainly have the mainstream fish for the average home aquarium.

I got my DPs from Petsmart. They thing to make sure of is that the ones you get have a nice full belly... if their belly sinks in, skip it. For a 10g I'd go with 1 m, 2-3 fm. Plant it good with a few caves and it will be great. The really are awesome little things to watch. When you feed them bloodworms sometimes they'll actually fight over it, with one running up and trying to steal it out the other one's mouth. Terrific little fish. And they beg like little puppies for food.
I have had quite a few community tanks, but none of them has come close to the personality in the puffers.

Would there be anything else I could keep with the puffers? There are some cool loaches that I liked, like the Kuhli. I really don't know much about puffers, other than that they take out anything that they want to thats in their way. I wasn't sure if some bottom or top dwellers would be okay seeign as I don't know many habits of the puffers.

The only things you can really put with puffers (imho) are otocinclus. I have otos and an amano shrimp in with my 3 dps and they all ignore each other. The otos keep the algae down as does the amano shrimp.

Hmm now I've gotta decide between the puffer tank or the tropical community. I'm actually leaning more towards the puffers at this point. I just wish they got a little bigger than an inch. Will they like a sand substrate? Off to get lunch, might stop by a pet store and see what they have for puffers.

They won't mind sand. I have mine in a tank with fine gravel and they are perfectly hapy with it and I don't have any trouble syphoning up the sand when trying to clean them up (50% weekly water changes are a must) :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back