100g of fun!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DannyBoy17

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am still searching for idea's on how to stock my 100g. Right now, all I have is a Tiger Oscar. I was thinking along the lines of the small catfish, S. Lima (something like that) or a trio of Hujeta's.

Any ideas? I keep great filtration, and will be adding a monster sump once I finish building it.

Thanks,

DB :fish:

Keep the oscar, get a snakehead, a bichir, a catfish, and enjoy feeding them :D

Seriously though, what kind of fish do you want? Full predatory fish?

P.T.

hey danny, i thought you said you were going to be gone for awhile....

not trying to get rid of you or anything, just wondering.. :p

longhorn13 said:
hey danny, i thought you said you were going to be gone for awhile....

not trying to get rid of you or anything, just wondering.. :p
Lol, go read that post again :p

Anyway, I've been looking at a million different options. Im thinkin of maybe goin with a Jag :D I wanted a catfish but I cant find the ones that stay around 12''-18''.

*sigh*

My friend has a 120G tank. in his he has an oscar, a Jag, a common pleco (pretty big), one of those Lima Cats, 3 big tin foil barbs, and a Jack Dempsy I think he wants to get out of there. Actually, he wants to get rid of all of them i believe, because our LFS has a mated pair of jags and the male is HUGE and mean looking :flex:

mmmmmm a 100g, where do we start?

Wow, lets see any birchir is a suitable tank mate, although i would consider bigger is better here, try:

P.Ornatapinnins
P.Palmas Palmas
P.Enderlichi

Those are the daddy birchirs!

Catfish try as ytou said S.lima, but at the moment im in love with the marmaratus catfish (peruno?) I always recommend plecos with oscars, but the choice out there is humongus, and its all down to personal taste on these guys, but remember these guys are lean mean pooping machines, and they sometimes give birchirs and other slow catfish a hard time by sucking on them!

Hujeta garfish are not my first choice in dealing with oscars as they are somewhat small, try any of these guys, if u want more info ask tho ;)

Tropical Gar, atractosteus tropicus
Spotted Gar, lepisosteus oculatus
also my local lfs has some large 7-9" needle fish at £10 each, i'd snap them up but just forked out on an adonis plec!

I have seen oscars kept with uarus before but im not entirely sure this is a safe stocking choice though.......
maybe look into ciger sharks?#

If you can find one a large spiny eel would be ideal such as a tyre track eel, but be wary as most cats would make a spaghetti snack out of it if he was too small!

What? Gars? Endlis? Ornates? Not in a tank that small! Ornates can get to 24", and are not particularly flexible... depending on the endli subspecies, it could get to 40", and the smallest of the bunch gets to 30". The smallest gar species get so 2 and a half feet, and need a tank at very least as wide as they are. Spotted gars can get to almost 5 feet, and tropical gars (aside from being extremely rare and expensive), can get very large, there is a possbility that they can grow in excess of 8', and there are stories of 12' tropical gars!!! An ornates might be fine in that tank, but only if it measured around 4' L X 2' W. A Polypterus p. palmas should be okay, though. Hujetas would be the best choice, none of the true gars could be housed in that tank for life. I would try S. lima, or maybe a species of pim. I liked the snakehead suggestion, a C. gachua or C. bleheri should do very well in that setup, as would a peacock spiny eel, or maybe even a tire track spiny eel. Or, if you moved the oscar out, and you would like to try a solitary fish tank, a Protopterus amphibious lungfish should be able to live in there for life. ;)

Oh yes, and oddball, when you say "marmaratus" catfish, do you mean Leiarius marmoratus? If so, they also grow far too large for that tank. A member of another forum that I belong to has a 28" specimen, and from what I hear, they grow VERY quickly. ;) We all hate to hear something like what I'm about to say, but we need to stay within reason when keeping fish. A 100 gallon is simply not very large. :/

You have quite a few options. I wouldn't go with the Gars and larger Polypterus species as the tank isn't large enough to house them. P. Endlicheri have a habit of being a rather nasty fish aswell. Personally I would look at the smaller Polypterus species like P.delhezi and so on. You also have the option of Sorubim Lima, and if you can find them there are some rarer members of the Pimelodidae family that you could try, like Pimelodus blochii etc. Then I'd look at some surface to mid-water dwellers like the hujeta's you suggested. :)

As you probably know the Jaguar cichlid is a certain no as is the Lungfish mentioned above, these are nasty fish with extremely powerful jaws and a habit of attacking anything and everything in their tank.

:*) ooops fallin asleep at my console........yeah your right, sorry ive got my head full of gigantic tanks at the moment!

let me revise recommendations then to:

P.weeksii
P.senegalus
P.delhezi

Gars :
needle fish

Cats:

larger members of the synodontid family, tough and very swift to heal from any unsavory run ins, looking between 6-9inch?

yes bgg i was thinking of that catfish, but as before mentioned my mind was elsewhere! mmmm maybe i should book that holiday from work!
my apologies, im rather off the ball lately arent i?

go with the chana bleheri suggestion, the dwarf rainbow snake head is a gorgeous fish, very characterful, im watching mine right now!

feh next time im breaking out the books before i answer :p

Oddball said:
mmmm maybe i should book that holiday from work!
I need a vacation too. :D Where I was going this weekend to escape the cold got 2 feet of snow. :byebye: Maybe I'll have to sneak off to the caymans sometime soon. :shifty: :lol: Anyway, sorry to derail the thread, and yes, the smaller bichirs would be great, and perhaps some of the medium-sized knife fish. Whatever you chose, though, a small snakehead would be great... they are relatively peaceful, and C. bleheri is very colorful (also as mentioned, they are full of personality, too).

I reakon a shoal of 3 ornate pims would fit in there nicely depending on dimensions??

then say 1 or 2 small bichirs

a hueta gar

then a couple of sevrums or a oscar.

as long as you kit out with good filtation you should be able to pull that off!!

Paul_MTS said:
I reakon a shoal of 3 ornate pims would fit in there nicely depending on dimensions??

then say 1 or 2 small bichirs

a hueta gar

then a couple of sevrums or a oscar.

as long as you kit out with good filtation you should be able to pull that off!!
I have great filtration, not a problem.Im definitely looking for surface dwellers, but Im afraid an Oscar would eat things like a Butterfly Fish (African).

Any other suggestions? My tank is FULL of swimming room. Not a tone of decor, as my Cichlids seem to prefer the two big rocks and plant, and thats it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back