100 litre saltwater tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Goldfish21

Reaction score
Quick question. sounds stupid but can a freshwater tank be used as a saltwater if properly cleaned out. Im looking to take down my freshwater tank and try out a basic saltwater setup.
Thanks

Would an internal filter work well on a saltwater tank as I don't have to much money or space to buy a canister filter or build a sump.

I don't have experience with that. I don't see why not though.
I was just thinking of upgrading my filter and heater and buying a basic enough saltwater light.im not planning on adding corals for the first while prob just some sand, rocks a pair of clowns, mabye a goby of sorts and a cleanup crew.

Would an internal filter work well on a saltwater tank as I don't have to much money or space to buy a canister filter or build a sump.
It's definitely not the best thing to use. I would avoid that unless you're going invert-only and not doing a reef. A power head / circulation pump and live rock is much preferred in marine and will allow you better stocking options if your main interest is fish. I personally use canisters too but they are mostly to house chemical media (I find them far less hassle for salt crust buildup than HOBs).

It's definitely not the best thing to use. I would avoid that unless you're going invert-only and not doing a reef. A power head / circulation pump and live rock is much preferred in marine and will allow you better stocking options if your main interest is fish. I personally use canisters too but they are mostly to house chemical media (I find them far less hassle for salt crust buildup than HOBs).
If I used a power head and an internal filter would that work?

I don't have experience with that. I don't see why not though.
They clog up quickly and have little flow, both bad generally bad things in marine. The only times I've found good use for them is with hermitarium setups emulating low flow estuary type situations.

If I used a power head and an internal filter would that work?
No, you'd be setting yourself up for waste management problems. Marine is not cheap even when done in more budget friendly ways; I hate to say it but if you are balking at the price of appropriate filtration options (have you seen how much live rock costs?) then you may want to reconsider saltwater. I'm not trying to be rude or nasty and normally I'm all for helping people find cheaper solutions with things like lighting but it sounds to me like your budget may be too tight to provide well for marine fish (again, invert only would be aomewhat different if you were into crabs or small lobsters).

No, you'd be setting yourself up for waste management problems. Marine is not cheap even when done in more budget friendly ways; I hate to say it but if you are balking at the price of appropriate filtration options (have you seen how much live rock costs?) then you may want to reconsider saltwater. I'm not trying to be rude or nasty and normally I'm all for helping people find cheaper solutions with things like lighting but it sounds to me like your budget may be too tight to provide well for marine fish (again, invert only would be aomewhat different if you were into crabs or small lobsters).
No, I understand thanks for your help.
I did a bit of looking at canister filters and found two decent ones can u tell me what u think.
-allpondsolutions EF1 Aquarium External Fish Tank Water Filter for Coldwater, Tropical or Marine Aquariums, for Tanks Up to 400 Litres – Includes Filter Media, hose and Spray Bar - Full Kit.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back