10 year old, never used tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I guess I'm not being clear.

I have never seen a tank with no silicone on the inside of the side corners other than the silicone that is gluing the panes of glass together. Is/was this common and I just haven't noticed it before? Does anyone else have a tank like this? Any issues from this?
I can't say I've ever noticed this with any tanks before, but I don't necessarily look very hard at the silicone before using the tanks. Not that that's advisable, lol.

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're particularly concerned I would just redo it to be on the safe side. Nothing wrong with being safe.
I just filled the tank in the garage, will let it sit for a few days and decide what to do.
Did the tank leak at all?

I let it sit for 48 hrs with no leaks, then while a friend was helping me move the tank into the house he said he felt wetness on his hand from under the tank. Condensate? Maybe but to be safe I reluctantly stripped and re-sealed the tank. It is curing now.

I let it sit for 48 hrs with no leaks, then while a friend was helping me move the tank into the house he said he felt wetness on his hand from under the tank. Condensate? Maybe but to be safe I reluctantly stripped and re-sealed the tank. It is curing now.
That was a smart move. :good:

I guess I'm not being clear.

I have never seen a tank with no silicone on the inside of the side corners other than the silicone that is gluing the panes of glass together. Is/was this common and I just haven't noticed it before? Does anyone else have a tank like this? Any issues from this?
I bought a second hand 60L tank years ago with the 2 front corners (top to bottom) with only silicone holding glass together, all other corners had both the glueing silicone and the finished bead, I thought this was strange so I just cleaned it well and added my own bead of silicone over the corners, tested it a few days later, set it up, and still ok now, must have been 10 years ago.

I have just had a 4 foot tank bottom seal fail on me the tank had sat around for a number of years and I thought it was fine. After about twelve months of being under pressure it has given up. I think a full strip down and re build is needed. It looks to me that the silicone even tho it looked fine has had its integrity compromised

I filled the tank in the garage and let it sit for a week, no leaks. It is now in the house, but not filled yet, just been to busy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back