10 Gallon tank suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Honestly though, the dwarf shrimp have different temperature ranges than bettas. Cherry shrimp and bee shrimp do best in unheated or slightly heated tanks (<75 F). Bettas prefer higher temps. Amano shrimp would work and I have kept them with bettas before. Mutt cherry shrimp are pretty dang tough so they could probably deal with higher temps but it's not ideal.

Amanos would be a good choice.

The higher temp isn't an issue. The temp of the water isn't like, hurting them and making them have shorter lives, it's just the warmer the temp, the faster their metabolism is. They mature and reach breeding age much faster in warmer temps, about two months before they're ready to start breeding and producing shrimplets of their own, compared to around six months for a shrimplet to reach breeding age if living in much cooler water. They go through all the same life stages that a shrimp in a cooler tank does. So yes, individual shrimp will live longer at cooler temps, but they'll also take longer to mature, breed and begin producing a decent sized colony.

Once I'd had shrimp for a while and had established a colony, I found it easier to think of them in terms of a colony and complex system, like a bee hive or ant colony, rather than getting attached to specific individual shrimp.

I always find dwarf gouramis to be a good centrepiece pick. As for other fish, I try to pick one species of topwater, one to two species for midwater, and a cleanup crew. This may seem like a lot, but with the right filter and plants and a lot of patience (and cycling), you’ll be more than good to go

Edit: just fixed a few spelling mistakes

I have a question for you. Would dwarf rasboras be a good option? Not necessarily for this person, but I really love them and was wondering if they could school into their own ten gallon. Sorry for jumping in!
They can for sure go in a ten gallon, but I don’t know much about how sensitive they are. I keep chili rasboras, so I figure they are pretty similar. As for my chilis, they need a well cycled tank.

I have a question for you. Would dwarf rasboras be a good option? Not necessarily for this person, but I really love them and was wondering if they could school into their own ten gallon. Sorry for jumping in!

I wouldn't with a betta, no, but just them in a ten gallon would be fine, if we're thinking of the same sorts of species? There's a lot of small rasbora!

Amanos would be a good choice.

The higher temp isn't an issue. The temp of the water isn't like, hurting them and making them have shorter lives, it's just the warmer the temp, the faster their metabolism is. They mature and reach breeding age much faster in warmer temps, about two months before they're ready to start breeding and producing shrimplets of their own, compared to around six months for a shrimplet to reach breeding age if living in much cooler water. They go through all the same life stages that a shrimp in a cooler tank does. So yes, individual shrimp will live longer at cooler temps, but they'll also take longer to mature, breed and begin producing a decent sized colony.

Once I'd had shrimp for a while and had established a colony, I found it easier to think of them in terms of a colony and complex system, like a bee hive or ant colony, rather than getting attached to specific individual shrimp.
Don’t know much about amanos but don’t the shrimplets need brackish water?

I have 8 celestial pearl danios (raspora) Nano fish in a 10 g tank. They are beautiful to watch.

Don’t know much about amanos but don’t the shrimplets need brackish water?

Yep, they do! We can't sucessfully breed amanos in a freshwater tank, but a group of five to 6 would probably be fine living with a chilled betta, so I meant they'd be a good choice as a potential tankmate. The metabolism thing applies to all the shrimp, as far as I know, but when talking about them breeding and building a colony, I was talking about neocaridina and caridina species, but I didn't make that very clear, sorry!

Yep, they do! We can't sucessfully breed amanos in a freshwater tank, but a group of five to 6 would probably be fine living with a chilled betta, so I meant they'd be a good choice as a potential tankmate. The metabolism thing applies to all the shrimp, as far as I know, but when talking about them breeding and building a colony, I was talking about neocaridina and caridina species, but I didn't make that very clear, sorry!
Don’t call me out if I am wrong on this, but I remember hearing at aquashela that the metabolism thingy with shrimp only works with caridina and neocaridina. Not other dwarf shrimp like ghost shrimp and such

Yeah, just them!
The species name is boraras maculatus.

Oh yeah! Are they one of the ones that are the same size and sometimes mistaken for chili rasbora? I'd bet they'd be fine, and SF says:
"Though small it still needs space to swim and dominant males will form temporary territories when spawning so a group is best kept in an aquarium with base dimensions of at least 45 ∗ 30 cm."
I think that's the measurement for a 10g, but don't quote me if I'm wrong, I haven't looked it up to double check, but I just know my 15.5g is 60 by 30cm. lol.

Don’t call me out if I am wrong on this, but I remember hearing at aquashela that the metabolism thingy with shrimp only works with caridina and neocaridina. Not other dwarf shrimp like ghost shrimp and such
Could well be! I love my little oddly coloured shrimp colony, and definitely want to get some blues and having a tank with just the deep blues one day, but I haven't delved deep into shrimp stuff, and that's like another rabbit hole within the rabbit hole of this hobby! I've only personally kept amanos and neos myself so far.

Oh yeah! Are they one of the ones that are the same size and sometimes mistaken for chili rasbora? I'd bet they'd be fine, and SF says:
"Though small it still needs space to swim and dominant males will form temporary territories when spawning so a group is best kept in an aquarium with base dimensions of at least 45 ∗ 30 cm."
I think that's the measurement for a 10g, but don't quote me if I'm wrong, I haven't looked it up to double check, but I just know my 15.5g is 60 by 30cm. lol.
I don’t know the exact measurements either but in my opinion, they will probably do just fine in a 10 gallon if in the right conditions and are fed a varied diet.

A standard 10g has base dimensions of 20inX10inX12in. or 50cmX25cmX30cm. Yes, a group of one of the dwarf rasbora (Bororas species)will be fine, 12-15 of them. You could have a group of pygmy cories (Corydoras pygmaeus) as well, 12 minimum. Provided the water is soft, and the substrate is soft sand. Parameters matter much more with nano-sized fish. I actually had a 10g with these fish some years ago, no filter, but lots of plants especially floating.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back