10 gallon tank planning.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Milex

Reaction score
hi! Iā€™m thinking of setting up a 10 gallon, and am looking to discuss my plan, it goes as follows: 1. Set up the tank, this includes cycling, decor, and heaters/filters. 2. Plant, stock, and maintain (food, water changes, cleaning), 3. Repeat from step 2. Iā€™m sure Iā€™ve only touched a bit of what is needed in my plan, so please let me know what im doing wrong! (both plan wise, and potentially anything else wise!)
thanks.

thanks for the feedback! I just read the article. Iā€™m thinking of stocking With: 2-3 peacock gudgeons, 6-10 rosy loaches, 6-10 chili (or similar) rasboras, And an unknown number of shrimp. We have well water, and its PH is 7.98, GH is unknown, and KH is unknown as well. These tests were taken two years ago, so I donā€™t know how accurate they will be. I assume this isnā€™t too helpful, but itā€™s what Iā€™ve got.

It's better not to mix Peacock Gudgeons with small fish like Chili Rasboras.
The Peacock Gudgeons mouth are quite big and they may eat the small fish.

If you plan to have small fish and shrimps, then better don't keep any bigger fish like Peacock Gudgeons.
Chili Rasboras is very small at less than 2cm whereas the Gudgeons can grow to 3" (7.5cm).

You should get a bigger group of Chili Rasboras like 15 which will make them more interesting to watch.
But it's up to your choice.

You need to pion down the GH, as nano fish have much more stringent requirements and most of the nano fish will also be wild caught. Rather than wasting money on a test, take a water sample to a reliable fish store; make sure you get the number and their unit (likely either ppm or dH), write it down to be certain.

Once u get the tank all set up, I hope you enter our Tank of the Month contest. In September, we will feature tanks sized at 16 US gallons and smaller. Entry period starts on Sept 1 st.

I agree with Bryon.

You have to find out the GH and pH first before you can choose your fish else your fish will not live long.

If you can't test your well water, I suggest that you use your tap water.
You can check your tap water GH, pH from your water agency website.
Or you can ask your fish store staff or anyone in your area who had tested the tap water.

Actually in my opinion, tap water is safer as it has gone through filtrations but you have to use water conditioner to remove the Chlorine or Chloramine.

As you are on well water there will be no water supply company so you can either take a sample of what comes out of your taps to a fish store and ask them to test for GH and KH, or buy your own test kit. If you go to the fish store make sure they give you a number and the unit of measurement rather than words like softish or a bit hard.

Ok. I will do that. I feel I might have to rethink my stock, so does anyone know what might be able to go with multies? I think they like my ph, but Iā€™ll go check about the other perematers when quarantines Over. no new thing for me until then. I was thinking either amano shrimp or cpo, but those would most likely be eaten quickly, and I donā€™t know if they like my water, so probably not best. Any thoughts? Thanks again.

Edit: I will try and post in the contest when itā€™s set up, however cycling might take me through September, so im not sure if I can.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back