10 gallon stocking idea

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Man, I feel bad now. I’m in love with bettas, and have two! :blush:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the way my Neon Tetras and Panda Cory Cats interact. They sometimes swim together and play with each other.

I love the idea of multiple species of fish being in the same tank... just not hard-to-find nano fish species. :)

Man, I feel bad now. I’m in love with bettas, and have two! :blush:

Don’t get me wrong, I love the way my Neon Tetras and Panda Cory Cats interact. They sometimes swim together and play with each other.

I love the idea of multiple species of fish being in the same tank... just not hard-to-find nano fish species. :)
If I could, I would get another tank and get a betta but my parents would not let me do that. The choice is very hard, I have a lot of difficulties to make choices, that's why my 55 gallon is understocked, I can't choose what fish I want to get lol.

I think that just opened my eyes about the fact that I also really enjoy how fish interact with each other like in my 55 gallon. I won't get pygmy corydoras because I am honestly not sure about the tank size, I think I would prefer to see them in 15 gallon long for exemple. Shrimps and broraras I think is my best option. :)

I can assure you a group of pygmies plus a group of Boraras and a group of another nano species are well suited here. I had this in my 10g with no filter for a year, and the group of pygmy cories remained in the 10g alone and numbered 30 at one point with fry. They are active but not active swimmers needing long tanks. They love grazing surfaces vertically and horizontally.

I can assure you a group of pygmies plus a group of Boraras and a group of another nano species are well suited here. I had this in my 10g with no filter for a year, and the group of pygmy cories remained in the 10g alone and numbered 30 at one point with fry. They are active but not active swimmers needing long tanks. They love grazing surfaces vertically and horizontally.
30 seems like a lot. But I assume this species is very small?

I want to breed shrimps also so would that still be ok?

Won't comment on shrimps, no experience. Except to say, all fish consider shrimp as food, if they are small enough to grab. Nano fish would obviously be out-sized by many shrimps so probably more likely to work.

Several years ago I had a 50 litre tank with a 24 x 12 inch footprint. The occupants were Boraras brigittae (or possibly B. urophthalmoides, I never could decide which), pygmy cories and cherry shrimps. Then we had the kitchen altered and there was no longer any room for the tank so I had to close it and transfer the occupants to my 180 litre. I counted the shrimps into the bucket and there were 92 ranging from adults to newly hatched. The tank had a lot of hornwort twisted through pieces of wood so there were plenty of hiding places.

My cherry shrimps had no problem sharing a tank with boraras and pygmy cories :)

could I get 2 boraras specie, for exemple 6 maculatus and 6 urophthalmoides?

Several years ago I had a 50 litre tank with a 24 x 12 inch footprint. The occupants were Boraras brigittae (or possibly B. urophthalmoides, I never could decide which), pygmy cories and cherry shrimps. Then we had the kitchen altered and there was no longer any room for the tank so I had to close it and transfer the occupants to my 180 litre. I counted the shrimps into the bucket and there were 92 ranging from adults to newly hatched. The tank had a lot of hornwort twisted through pieces of wood so there were plenty of hiding places.

My cherry shrimps had no problem sharing a tank with boraras and pygmy cories :)
That's good to know!

Assuming they are cherry shrimp, yes.

I am able to breed/keep cherry shrimp in my 29g tank. I have Neon Tetras and Panda Cory cats. The Cory cats haven’t tried to go after them yet. I have only seen a Neon Tetra eat one once.

Assuming they are cherry shrimp, yes.

I am able to breed/keep cherry shrimp in my 29g tank. I have Neon Tetras and Panda Cory cats. The Cory cats haven’t tried to go after them yet. I have only seen a Neon Tetra eat one once.
I think I will only get red cherry shrimp and 1 or 2 boraras specie but thanks.

could I get 2 boraras specie, for exemple 6 maculatus and 6 urophthalmoides?

Not advisable. The species should be kept distinct, not together. Reason is they might cross-spawn. I did have two together some years ago, when My group of Boraras maculatus was dying out of old age and I decided to replace them with B. brigittae, but I didn't intend spawning (I don't think they ever did) and would not have released the fry if they had.

Not advisable. The species should be kept distinct, not together. Reason is they might cross-spawn. I did have two together some years ago, when My group of Boraras maculatus was dying out of old age and I decided to replace them with B. brigittae, but I didn't intend spawning (I don't think they ever did) and would not have released the fry if they had.
Ok, I won't do that, that's also what I just read on seriously fish before seeing your post.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back