10 gallon stocking idea

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Actually if you can have a bigger tank(30-40 gallons or bigger) with the tiny/small fish that I mentioned above, the tank will become like a stream/river to them...

It's so nice to see the small tiny fish swimming in a big tank and especially if you have a big group of them.

the "neon green rasbora" are awesome. I call them kubotai rasboras, microdevario kubotai.

Excellent little Nanos if you want high activity.

I house 8 in a 10 gallon just fine.

Actually if you can have a bigger tank(30-40 gallons or bigger) with the tiny/small fish that I mentioned above, the tank will become like a stream/river to them...

It's so nice to see the small tiny fish swimming in a big tank and especially if you have a big group of them.
I already have a 55 gallon so my parents would not let me get another "big" tank. I agree it's very nice to see a lot of tiny fish in a big tank. :)

Could pygmy corys and rasboras brigittae work together? If yes how many of each. (I would change my tank so it's suitable for the corys)

Agree. I had a 10g running for a few years with groups of 11 Boraras brigittae and 9 Corydoras pygmaeus. I could easily have had more of these, or another upper fish species, but these were the only two micro fish I had at the time, and the tank was an experiment of sorts as it had no filter, just plants, and no light just window light. Sand substrate. After a year I added a light and sponge filter and moved it away from the window. But the fish and plants thrived in this set-up.

Agree. I had a 10g running for a few years with groups of 11 Boraras brigittae and 9 Corydoras pygmaeus. I could easily have had more of these, or another upper fish species, but these were the only two micro fish I had at the time, and the tank was an experiment of sorts as it had no filter, just plants, and no light just window light. Sand substrate. After a year I added a light and sponge filter and moved it away from the window. But the fish and plants thrived in this set-up.
That's super cool! Did you have any problems without a filter? I think I might turn the tank in a blackwater aquarium, I wanted to do this for so long but never did. I am pretty sure I will get pygmy corys but I am still not sure for the upper fish. I have some questions: If I would like to try to get fry from the pygmy corydoras would the clown killifish eat them? For the clown killifish how many would you say and same thing for ember tetra?

That's super cool! Did you have any problems without a filter? I think I might turn the tank in a blackwater aquarium, I wanted to do this for so long but never did. I am pretty sure I will get pygmy corys but I am still not sure for the upper fish. I have some questions: If I would like to try to get fry from the pygmy corydoras would the clown killifish eat them? For the clown killifish how many would you say and same thing for ember tetra?

No problem without the filter, but the water was never crystal clear (compared to my other tanks in the fish room) which is why I decided to add a single sponge filter. Photo below of the tank in front of the window. Lots of snails too!

Clown killiifish (Epiplatys annulatus) is said to be peaceful, and needs a group of 8-10. I think I had this species a few decades ago, but honestly can't remember much about them.

Attachments

• 10g Aug 17-10.JPG
    10g Aug 17-10.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 128
No problem without the filter, but the water was never crystal clear (compared to my other tanks in the fish room) which is why I decided to add a single sponge filter. Photo below of the tank in front of the window. Lots of snails too!

Clown killiifish (Epiplatys annulatus) is said to be peaceful, and needs a group of 8-10. I think I had this species a few decades ago, but honestly can't remember much about them.
I always love to see pictures of your tanks!! :wub:

Ok thank you, also I really like your tank! What is the plant that is floating?

If I ever do a small tank again, I'll do microrasboras, anchor catfish, and amano shrimp.

Byron, have you ever read Walstad's book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium? If not, see if you can get your hands on a copy. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Ok thank you, also I really like your tank! What is the plant that is floating?

In that photo, the floating plants are several adventitious plants from my Amazon Swords in the larger tanks. I cut off the inflorescences when the plants were almost this size, and just stuck the ends in the sand. It does create a nice effect, though I do find that so close to the surface the adventitious plants usually get encrusted with brush algae eventually. But this tank was an experiment, and the plants were fine with no overhead tank light. Controlling window light is not easy though, like it is tank lighting; variable light on different days means more chanmce of algae. Here's a photo of the same tank two months earlier than the other photo, when I had Brazilian Pennywort floating.

Attachments

• 10g July 1-10.JPG
    10g July 1-10.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 119
Byron, have you ever read Walstad's book Ecology of the Planted Aquarium? If not, see if you can get your hands on a copy. I think you'd really enjoy it.

Yes, I have this book and refer to it often. I also have Diana's articles and am a member of her forum. The scientific studies throughout her book are a mine of information for aquatic botany.

In that photo, the floating plants are several adventitious plants from my Amazon Swords in the larger tanks. I cut off the inflorescences when the plants were almost this size, and just stuck the ends in the sand. It does create a nice effect, though I do find that so close to the surface the adventitious plants usually get encrusted with brush algae eventually. But this tank was an experiment, and the plants were fine with no overhead tank light. Controlling window light is not easy though, like it is tank lighting; variable light on different days means more chanmce of algae. Here's a photo of the same tank two months earlier than the other photo, when I had Brazilian Pennywort floating.
That's what I tought for the amazon sword I kind of hoped it was a dwarf version of it lol.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back