10 gallon planted Dwarf Rasbora journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Okay. Not coming tomorrow. It was delayed to the 20th. :(
Question. Would it be best to remove water for hardscape and to glue on anubias, and then plant bottom plants with the tank filled? And will root tabs work, since I only have sand?
This is how I think I'll do it to make sure the plants sit right.

Question. Would it be best to remove water for hardscape and to glue on anubias, and then plant bottom plants with the tank filled? And will root tabs work, since I only have sand?
Also, is this a good heater for the tank?
?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Also, is this a good heater for the tank?

Yes, Eheim Jager is one of the most reliable heaters...but I would not get a 50w--like all 50w heaters they tend to malfunction more than higher wattage. I had a 100w in my 10g for years.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I'm not sure I understand the first question here. As for the second on tabs, yes, for larger substrate-rooted plants a quality tab is ideal. I used Seachem's Flourish Tabs for over a decade with very good results.

but I would not get a 50w--like all 50w heaters they tend to malfunction more than higher wattage. I had a 100w in my 10g for years.
Sounds good!
I'm not sure I understand the first question here.
Should I have no water in the tank to do hardscape, and then fill it up to put in plants with tweezers? Then I can see how the plants sit in the water and adjust them as needed. Is this a good idea?
I used Seachem's Flourish Tabs for over a decade with very good results.
Adding em to the cart:)

Should I have no water in the tank to do hardscape, and then fill it up to put in plants with tweezers? Then I can see how the plants sit in the water and adjust them as needed. Is this a good idea?

I always do the substrate and hardscape without (before) adding water. Once all the wood/rock etc is where you want it, I fill the tank about half with tap water at roughly the intended temperature, and then plant the substrate. You can move some of the hardscape if you like. Once all the plants are in the substrate, the water will be pretty cloudy, so I drain it completely. Then I fill with fresh tap water at the intended temperature, using a bowl sitting on the substrate which avoids disturbing the sand.

I always use my fingers to plant, I can never get those implements to work.

I always do the substrate and hardscape without (before) adding water. Once all the wood/rock etc is where you want it, I fill the tank about half with tap water at roughly the intended temperature, and then plant the substrate. You can move some of the hardscape if you like. Once all the plants are in the substrate, the water will be pretty cloudy, so I drain it completely. Then I fill with fresh tap water at the intended temperature, using a bowl sitting on the substrate which avoids disturbing the sand.

I always use my fingers to plant, I can never get those implements to work.
Thanks for the input!! Sounds good

Got the filter today :yahoo:
It is getting me super excited. I’m going to take my tank savings that I have so far and go buy the tank light and hopefully decor.
I’ll figure out a way to get some of Bleu’s beneficial bacteria into my 10g, perhaps by filter, since I need to establish the new tank. Wish me luck on finding good decor. I’m thinking a unique wood or rock piece. Something that’ll look really good with plants.

I just got the filter in and running! Now to add Bleu’s beneficial bacteria and wait :yahoo:

Attachments

• DC685EE7-FFA6-4EF3-8022-971BE0145C72.jpeg
    DC685EE7-FFA6-4EF3-8022-971BE0145C72.jpeg
    220.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 62ADAA01-9092-47A0-8336-D006AD0FEF46.jpeg
    62ADAA01-9092-47A0-8336-D006AD0FEF46.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 22
Are you planning to get live plants? I wouldn't seed the cycle with bacteria yet.

It's a bit more complex than adding the beneficial bacteria from another tank and waiting... the beneficial bacteria still need a food source - something producing ammonia, and ideally enough ammonia to grow the bacteria colony large enough to handle the bioload of the new fish you plan to get.

Since you plan to do live plants, I would advice getting those first, get them growing, especially whatever fast growing plants you're intending to use, so that it's more of a silent, planted cycle. Once those are showing signs of growth, then seed the filter with BB from your established tank and add your first batch of nano fish.

Which species have you decided to go for? If it's a tiny species like green neon tetra or chili rasbora, then you could/should get all 12 at once, then as long as you fast and only feed them very lightly to begin with, between the growing plants and seeded filter bacteria, they should be able to handle the bioload, since it's very light with those tiny fish.

But I'm not a cycling pro by any means, since I've never had to cycle from scratch, and always had an established tank and growing plants I could move to start a new tank. Hopefully @WhistlingBadger @Wills could give you some better info!

Are you planning to get live plants?
Yes! Anubias, Java fern, and anything else that you guys recommend…
Since you plan to do live plants, I would advice getting those first, get them growing, especially whatever fast growing plants you're intending to use, so that it's more of a silent, planted cycle. Once those are showing signs of growth, then seed the filter with BB from your established tank and add your first batch of nano fish.
Sounds good!
Which species have you decided to go for?
Dwarf Pygmy Rasbora (or Boraras maculatus)
I don't really cycle my tanks. I generally just put in plants, let them get going, and call it good.
I trust you on that, since it’s basically what I’ve been hearing I should do. That sounds like a plan! How much light should plants get everyday? I don’t want to kill them. 😂
I also would love to get floaters. NOT duckweed… that stuff is evilll. Any ideas on those plus anymore fast growing plants?

I usually start with around 10 hours of light per day, then adjust as needed. Remember that any adjustment will take two weeks or so to show results. By the way, the "silent cycle" I described is not an instant process. It often takes a few weeks for my plants to get going. Sometimes it's faster than a "fishless cycle," but not always.

My favorite floaters are floating fern (Salvinia natans) and amazon frogbit. I've had decent luck with asian water grass (Hygroryza aristata). If you want something bomb-proof that will really soak up the nutrients, it's hard to go wrong with hornwort and water wisteria.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back