10 gallon marine aquarium?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishperson100

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everybody!

So, I have thought of starting a saltwater aquarium, and I have a 10 gallon tank. Are you guys able to tell me what equipment I need, as well as stocking and maintenance? I know my options for stocking are limited, as it is a 10 gallon. Thanks for your help!

I hate to be rude, but there are a lot of people with 10 gallon marine tanks. Why shouldn't they be in one? I mean, as long as you filter there water, feed them, do water changes, and the usual, they should be fine, as long as you don't over crowd it.

Check out mass aquariums on YouTube.

He was running one with poly filter in a hob and a wavemaker.

Thanks! Can't wait to check out his other vids:) So, I am trying to gather info one by one. I decided to start with stocking. Does 1 clownfish (Ocellaris), 1 Watchman Goby (Cryptocentrus cinctus), and a shrimp of some sort? Would that be overstocking? I know I am very (very) for how many fish I can have in a ten gallon. Congratulations on Tank of the Month Winner Toney!

P.S. I may or may not start saltwater, just pondering and gathering info....

Hi tiny marine tanks are hard to maintain as when water evoparates the salt level rises, I would NOT recommend a small marine tank be a 1st marine tank. You are also VERY limetedto what you can put in them (not much more that shimp, crabs, snails etc)

When I first did marine I quickly found out that almost everything I had learned about freashwater does not apply. That said if you do your reseach marine is NOT as hard as it is made out but the smaller the tank the less forgiving it is and 10 gallon is a VERY small tank and will not be easy so when you consider how expensive marine is a nano tank as a first tank is a bad idea.

If you do go for it though make sure you use a auto top up to keep the water level the same and DO NOT use a filter use LIVE rock and a power head using a filter is a nitrate factory and is not a good idea on a tank so small. Obviously you will need to get the tank established before adding livestock. But as I said you be better going with a bigger tank maybe a 50 gallon

Hello and thank you for commenting! I do really understand that I am limited, and that 10 gallons are harder to maintain than larger tanks. I cannot go any larger unfortunately, because the 10 gallon is all I have room for. One question, why not to use a filter? I meant to have a filter rated a couple times more than my tank volume, live rock, and a powerhead.

I am doing my research too! If I do get one, it will be a while before I got one:D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back