10 Gallon(Kids room)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AnOldTank

Reaction score
Thought I would share our 10 gallon tank. It has been running for a bit more than 2.5 years. This tank is in our kids room, my son picked out all of the substrate, decor, and plants and directed me how to set it up then picked his fish when it was time to stock. I do most of the maintenance. It is looking a little bare right now as we just thinned out the cryps a few days ago (we pull 18-20 crypt shoots and 3-4 lily shoots every six months or it gets out of control).

10 Gallon
Aqueon hob filter
Aqueon 20" 2x LED tube 10 hours
Fuval 50w heater

Cryptocoryne Parva x8
Anubias Coffeefolia x1
Anubias barteri x1
Anubias barteri var. Nana x2
Anubias Minima x1
Nymphaea stellata bulb x2
Nymphaea stellata shoot x3
Roman columbs
Plastic plant
Sand substrate with small river stones
Seachem Flourish Tabs

Corbra guppies x3
Neon Tetra X3

118_5927_00001_01.jpg
118_5943_00002_01.jpg
118_5946_00003_01.jpg
118_5948_00004_01.jpg
118_5954_00005_01.jpg

Looks nice, I would definitely add another 5 Tetras though, else they may start nipping at the Guppies.

Wonderful! I really need to get a tiger lily

Wonderful! I really need to get a tiger lily
Thank you. Yes, we have a half a dozen bulbs around the house that get swapped in and out after they fade because they are so beautiful and easy to grow!

The anubias looks great. I agree with others that the neon tetras need more, 6 is a good number. I have a 55 gallon tetra tank and have over 20 neon tetras along with glow light and ember tetras. Floating plants will help, most tetras like neon tetras prefer the shade and feel less stressed. They come from South American jungle streams with overhead shade. They fear birds so floating plants can help them feel safe.

The anubias looks great. I agree with others that the neon tetras need more, 6 is a good number. I have a 55 gallon tetra tank and have over 20 neon tetras along with glow light and ember tetras. Floating plants will help, most tetras like neon tetras prefer the shade and feel less stressed. They come from South American jungle streams with overhead shade. They fear birds so floating plants can help them feel safe.
I agree. The original stocking was 7 neons. Over the years a few died, these two have been the last for almost a year now and we would rather change the stocking over to guppies. It's a toss up between stressing these guys out to catch them and add them to the 20+ I have in my 70 gallon or leaving them to chill in the home they have had for 2.5 years. They seem very happy and aren't nippy or nervous. Given an easy opportunity to catch them I may do so, but right now I'm leaning towards letting them be. The Anubias have thrived, thank you.

I had mostly java and crested ferns but switched over to mostly anubias in my tetra tank. It seems to last longer and with it being a soft water tank it does seem to do better than the ferns. I also had to switch floating plants to salvinia. Tetras are soft water fish but guppies are hard water. I also have a hard water 30 gallon guppy tank. I use RO water to soften my hard water. I am thinking about replacing my neon tetra with cardinal tetras.

That’s a really nice looking tank! What kind of sand substrate is that? I’ve been thinking of changing over to sand but haven’t been able to find anything I really like.

I had mostly java and crested ferns but switched over to mostly anubias in my tetra tank. It seems to last longer and with it being a soft water tank it does seem to do better than the ferns. I also had to switch floating plants to salvinia. Tetras are soft water fish but guppies are hard water. I also have a hard water 30 gallon guppy tank. I use RO water to soften my hard water. I am thinking about replacing my neon tetra with cardinal tetras.
Cardinals are really nice too. I was going to do glowlight tetras in my big tank but nobody had any available locally. My water is inconsistent. Generally in the winter is around 40 GH, but it swings up in the summer time, mostly.

That’s a really nice looking tank! What kind of sand substrate is that? I’ve been thinking of changing over to sand but haven’t been able to find anything I really like.
It's two bags- one black, one white- mixed together, from Petco. I forgot the brand name, but it's the one they have commonly carried for awhile now. I'm not sure if I would buy it again. It was very dirty and I lost a lot of volume rinsing properly, although it has worked well and looked good since then.

Cardinals are really nice too. I was going to do glowlight tetras in my big tank but nobody had any available locally. My water is inconsistent. Generally in the winter is around 40 GH, but it swings up in the summer time, mostly.
I have 13 glow light teras, had 14 but just lost one, they are all well over 1 year old. The one I just lost may have been injured during feeding time. They seem much hardier than neon tetra. They look nice and get along with my other tetras just fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back