1 male fertilizing eggs of 2 FEMALES in same tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

lilpark

Reaction score
i currently have 3 convict cichlids in a 40 gallon tank. one is a male and the other two are females. the male fertilized both of the females eggs and now both females have fry. it is very interesting because the male has to go back and fourth protectin both colonies of fry. is this unusual for a male to choose both of the females at the same time, ive heard when you pair up one male and 2 females, the male is suppose to choose one and pick on the other one, claiming the tank. how is this going to work out for all the fish in the future? thanks in advance!!

- lilpark

This post really could be in either section but I'm moving it to the cichlid section because it will get seen more by the cichlid experts ;)

Because of captive breeding over generations the male probably just reacted to the situation and has lost his wild instincts somewhat, after all the prime objective is to keep the species going and reproduce. Maybe the females are so evenly matched that they both represent healthy mates, although the female is the one that usually lets the male know when shes ready. Keep us informed on any developments....

Btw, this is Cichlid heaven... I bet your male feels that way too the sly little devil :devil: :p ;) :lol:

that's got to be the happiest con in the world lol :p
how long ago did he fertilize them?let us know how it goes.

good luck

ok now i guess one set of the females fry are gone and now she is gettin attacked... the male is stickin to one female now, i wonder if he ate the other fry...

he proly did eat the fry,hows the female doing?can you separate them (mom and fry)from the dad?

actually it is probably the other female that is bullying and eating the fry. i've got about 200 convicts at the time. about a dozen of them are adults that are breeding. i started off with two and when the got big enough the bred. the male killed the mother after the second batch of fry. i grew out the fry and got rid of most of them. i made a bunch of hidey holes and caves with smooth surfaces with slate for them in my 180. they are now community fish. the fry if they survive grow out. mostly they are feeders which is a good thing cause i have about 4 pairs of breeders now. one of the males did pick two females to fertilize the eggs with. the fry hatched and he also spent time between his two families. the females battled it out with each other. he just sat back and watched. the more dominant female won over the affections of the male. the other female movevd to another end of the tank and has not taken a mate as of yet. she lays eggs but won't let any of the other males fertilize the eggs.

i do beleive i saw a smile on the males face when they were trying to compete for him!

maggie

I agree with everyone alse. Maggie made a good point also.
At first the male will most likely get all the play he can. Eventually he will want to pair off and most likely the extra female will be eliminated by the pair. The fry most likely got eaten by both the male and the second femal.

thgis is a instinct that they will have. Strange because alot of times you will get a few fry from one batch kinda move in with the other. And in other cases they will seem alright for awhile but as soon as the horny little male wants more play he WILL start to take out fry. Some males will NOT eat there fry but in this case there are 2 females both are wanting to be the main houchy. If you leave the extra female chances are she will get killed.

Convicts like to be in pairs. ( IME ) Didn't keep them to, to, long but long enough to OVERcrowd EVERY store in town. And mines where paired off and did not allow ANY other fish in the tank. The fry all were raised by both mom and dad. Though sometimes fry would turn up missing.
In most cases on or the other may feed on the fry. In the males case to encourage the female to breed again ( horny devil ) And in the females case she could just be startinbg off and her mother instincts have yet to kick in.

In most cases the fry could be raised wiht the adults but this is not always true. Many fish will react diff. even if they are the same species. Some may be wonderfull parents and others just want free fishie sex and a free meal.

I would relocate the extra female and and leave just the pair that still has fry. Convicts like alot of cichlids will pair off and preffer that mate other than being a jigalo.

Danny

Not to bad mouth us males but what male is going to pass that chance up ? 2 mates come on, he is in heaven. LOLOLOL.
Danny

Most reactions

Back