1 male 2 females

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Greener

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Since december I've had 1 male and 2 females living in a 2g tank peacefully and I've been looking to upgrade them to a larger tank and yesterday there was a 5G tank on sale so I bought it and now I've moved them into the 5G tank. I've lucked out with these 3 getting along, but I also think it may be because I use an air stone in the tank because then the male doesn't make his bubblenest and then the females don't lay their eggs in it and all get along, but I'll be keeping my eye on them in the new tank and if any problems occur I have the 2 G and a 1G vase if I need to seperate them.

i was going to wait along with the others, but then i thought that i would start you off with a bit of friendly advice. you may get some that is not so friendly sounding. be warned...

i think you are extremely lucky that you still have 3 living fish in that situation. the 2 gal is definitely too small for 3 bettas regardless of sex. be very careful, because with the change in environment, they could start to fight over their new territories. because they are so territorial, you never know when a fight might break out or who might get hurt. you also probably aren't planning on breeding, and they could sneak that in there too.

if i were in you shoes, i would divide the 5 gal for 2 of them and put the third in the 2 gal.

good luck!

*now sits and waits*

;)

I agree. Three good sized fish in a five gallon is too small. Especially with such territorial, aggressive fish. It's just not a good idea. I'm glad to hear they get along and all of that, but honestly the supportive comments will be few. This topic was doomed before it was started.

You don't need to wait. I am not a harsh person, but here is some good ol' honest facts.

Ok, a 2.5 is big enough for ONE betta. The rule you should LIVE by is one inch of fish per gallon. Bettas are about 2 inches long, not including the tails. They need about 2 gallons of water each, no matter what the guy at your local pet store told you.

Male bettas should NEVER live with any other betta. Ever. And that is just how it is. Unless you are spawning them, or they are fry, males need to be the only betta in a tank. Your bettas are lucky to be alive. Females are agressive, too, and your tank is a timebomb, waiting for a blood bath. I woud seperate them as soon as possible.

Your 2 girls can live together, but one might be more dominant than the other, and one might get bullied. Females should be kept in bigger groups. And your male needs his own tank. Period.

Sorry to b*tch like that, but that is the truth.

I have been deemed the bad guy on the forums I see.

Greener - it's wonderful your fish have gotten along this far - highly unusual and really lucky. I have a picture of them all in head of swimming around in a little trio happy as larks.

BUT (YES, I always have a big ol' but) my fear is that with the change of environment, it could throw off the harmoniousness of that tank. I would separate each of them into his/her own cute little tank. The 5 gallon tanks are wonderful for bettas - divide it up for 2 of them, leave the other in the 2 gallon.

Besides - doesn't each of us need an excuse to pick up *just a few more* tanks?

Really - I'd separate them. For as much as you've enjoyed them to this point, I'm certain you'd be sorely diasappointed to find someone chewed up or dead.

Welcome to the forum, by the way.

Yes, please divide the 5 gallon and put 2 in that and one in the 2.5 gallon. Please take our advice. We do know what we are talking about around here and we are looking out for the best interest of the fish. I'm surprised that no one ended up dead already. That and I don't know if you have room for, or the time to take care of 300-500 baby bettas if they do happen to spawn.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back