0% Water Changes??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I was just wondering if I really need to do as many water changes as is usually advisable. My nitrates never seem to rise above 10ppm. The tank is pretty well planted and that's where I assume the nitrates are going. I'm effectively removing nitrates when I prune the plants. The pants are growing quite quickly too. I know that there are trace elements in the water that need replenishing but do I really need to do 25% weekly water changes? Also, 25% of 100g is a lot of buckets of water! I want to keep my fish healthy but could do without the work if I could get away with it. I have had the tank running for 10 weeks and only done 2 10% changes. Both times resulted in a white spot outbreak, starting with the rams. I clear the medication out using carbon rather than more water changes.

Am I being naive thinking that I can get away with this?

If I read your list of fish correctly (at the bottom of your post) you should be able to cut back to 25% every two weeks.

I would not go any longer than this. Nitrates are not the only reason water changes are necessary. Think of it this way......

Think of yourself being in a very small closet.....with only recycled filtered air to breath!!! This is how your fish would feel without fresh water from water changes.

Fresh water rejuvinates our fish, keeping them in tip top condition and also aids in conditioning them for spawning.

CM

make sure you condition your water before you put in to the tank.I've also seen a cemical that reduce the nitrate level I've never used it though. I bet this question is one that most people would like with a different answer but if you want healthy fish they need good quality water. Sorry.

Not at all!!

The standard is usually 10% weekly.

water changes should be done according to the size tank, levels and types of fish and filtration running on the tank.

Your tank being the size it is is why I recommended a 25% every two weeks.

CM

If I may gatecrash this thread :*) , could anyone advise me how long it takes a dechlorinator to remove the chlorine from tap water. I use a product called No. 1 Fresh Start, but I'm not sure how long after adding it I can use the water.

Most dechlorinators neutralize chlorine and chlorimines instantly making the water safe to use right away!!

CM

Thanks for the help guys. My fish are now luxuriating in a 25% water change which I'll be repeating on a regular basis. (Honest)!

Just a note to add for PC. As a fellow Welshy (South) you'll be pleased to know that our local water suppies are only treated with chlorine; not chloramine. That means your dechlorinator will last twice as long! That's assuming Ponty gets its water from the same place as Cardiff!
Oh, do you know of any good lfs near Cardiff? The one I usually go to (Maidenhead Aquatics@Cardiff) burnt down a few weeks ago! All those poor fish! :sad: I hope there were enough chips to go around!!!!!

I Have a 55 gallon
using a Magnum 350 Pro (w/biowheel)
most likely going to stock Milawi (mbuna's)

ok, so once I have my tank cycled and the water changed (and assuming parameters are in check)

I should what percentage of the water how often :unsure:

As a fellow Welshy (South) you'll be pleased to know that our local water suppies are only treated with chlorine; not chloramine. That means your dechlorinator will last twice as long!
I am going to assume you are not joking here!! You will still need to use the same amount of chlorine/chloramine remover whether your removing just chlorine, just chloramines or both!!

If you were just joking, then I apologize!!

I Have a 55 gallon
using a Magnum 350 Pro (w/biowheel)
most likely going to stock Milawi (mbuna's)

ok, so once I have my tank cycled and the water changed (and assuming parameters are in check)

I should what percentage of the water how often

This really depends on your stocking levels!! It is recommended that when keeping Mbuna, you should overstock the tank to keep aggression down!!

Given this fact and that Mbuna love to dig and that they are prone to bloat, I would recommend a water change schedule of 20-25% weekly to start.

Good water quality and a varied diet will produce strong healthy fish so you can't go wrong!!

CM

You will still need to use the same amount of chlorine/chloramine remover whether your removing just chlorine, just chloramines or both!!

CM,

All of the water conditioners that I have seen in the UK state that you need to use twice as much for getting rid of chloramine that you do for getting rid of chlorine, hence Waterloo Kid's comment. Not sure if it is the same in the States.

Cheers, Eddie

EddieW,

Thanks for clearing that up!!

In the states the products we use work on both at the one recommended dosage.

I use a product called DechlorEase it's by Mydor. Calls for 1/4 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water. Guaranteed to neutralize chlorine, chloramines, heavy metals all at the one dose.

That's why I included the apology with the post!! Didn't want any hurt feelings!!!

CM

I use Haloex by Waterlife - it neutralises chlorine, chlororamine, flourine, bromine and other toxins in tapwater, all in one small dose. (5ml treat 112 litres)

i would do a gravel clean every week so that the fish arent swimming in their own fish poo!! i would recommend a water change every fortnight.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back