Zombie Gourami Jumped Out And Now Has Skin Peeling

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tomcruise

Reaction score
Hello,
I was given two Gourami's that came from a pretty foul tank.  I placed the bag they were in, in a bucket of fresh water to acclimate to temp.  I wanted them to swim around in quarantine for a bit.  I had a 5 gal bucket half full. When I came back an hour later to take them out of their bag, I found one had jumped out of the bucket and was curled up on the floor.  I thought it was a gonner.  I put it back in the bucket (put a lid on the bucket) and came back an hour later to it swimming around (almost) like nothing had happened. I was very surprised.  It is now 2 days later and it is peeling.  Like it got a really really bad sunburn.  It has little of it's tail fin left, and I'm worried about his future. 
I have concerns that he's going to be susceptible to disease while he recovers.  He is now in my communal planted tank, which is very established, but I run CO2, so pH fluctuations might be an issue. 
Can anyone offer any advice to help improve his chances of recovery?

Thanks in advance,

-Tom

Hi, best advice it plenty of clean water, you could try adding some melafix as it's all natural stuff but keeping the water clean is the best bet. Lot's of lovely fresh water changes :)

Thanks!  Do you think a hospital tank, or keeping him in my established healthy tank?  I can do daily water changes in both.  I thought not stressing him in a hospital tank would be good, who likes the hospital, right?
(also, I don't know how to setup a hospital tank.  Do they need an established filter?)

Thx,
-Tom

If you run carbon then you'll want to treat him in a hospital tank instead, they are pretty easy to set up - a small hob with some media, heater, and medication :)

What kind of medication do you recommend?  I'm particularly concerned with loss of slime coat.  Is this a legitimate concern?

Prime water conditioner is SUPPOSED to give them a slime coating. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though...

I would leave the fish where it is to minimise stress. In a hospital tank you'll need an established filter and so if you don't have another established filter leaving the fish where it is is the best option.

In terms of medication I'd stick with the melafix. It won't harm the healthy fish or your filter as it's made from natural ingredients. It's widely used to fix torn fins, wounds or sores and in this case I think it's the best option

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back