Zola's Fish In Cycle Log

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

zola

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

I had two gold fish when I was very young, I remember being very fond of them and also fascinated by them. Now 15 years later (at least) I decided on a whim to buy a small tropical setup.

Partly through impatience, mostly by sheer ignorance, as well as bad advice from the LFS, I added 4 hardy fish to a new tank I bought which was not cycled. I realise the extra work I have ahead of me, I have decided to keep a log. I hope its of some use to some people out there who are starting out like me.

I have been running a week or so and I will keep this thread regularly updated with whats going on.

My setup:

Aqua Start 320 - 28 Litre Tank
25W Heater
Thermometer
Few ornaments

zebras.jpg

platys.jpg

Day 1 - 26.03.11
New tank setup and running for 2 days.

Day 3 - 28.03.11
4 fish added - 2 Platys and 2 Zebra Danios

Day 4 - 29.03.11
50% Water Change

Day 5 - 30.03.11
50% Water Change

Day 7 - 1.4.11
90% Water Change

Day 8 - 3.4.11
70% Water Change

My ammonia levels thus far have never exceeeded 0.25ppm

I have a new filter which I plan to add this evening

It sounds like you did the research and put together a great plan of action. Good job on quickly adjusting to life with a fish-in cycle! I love zebras, and good color on your Platys.

What kind of testing kit are you using for ammonia? Are you also testing for nitrites?

GVG

Thanks! Using the API kit, and yes testing for nitrite also. :)

Tests:
Ammonia - not quite 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0

Did a 50% water change.

Took old filter pads and washed and rinsed them in the new water.

Added a new filter (Aqua ball 60), cleared up the tank in no time :)

Pics:

filter_change2.jpg

filter_change.jpg

Wow - that new filter looks much more substantial!

Its a big dominator!

CHeers to Taffy who suggested it :)

The fish seem to enjoy inpecting it and hiding on the top and behind.

It came with a spray bar but I havent put it on yet.

I was offered a 55 litre tank last night!

Tempted to take it as the fish will have more room to swim in and it looks nice and long.

Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0

Did a 50% water change

Agreed. Once i got the small tank cycled i was busting for a bigger tank. If you have the room, seriously consider it. Either that or stick with what you have got at the moment until you are satisfied that you know what you're doing.
That's kind of what i did, the big tank bug kicked in after 6 months...!
Regards,
Terry.

Did a 80% water change..

Ok so I got the new tank!

new_tank.jpg

60 Litres..

What is the best way to clean it?

Its quite dirty and needs a real clean.

Get out the back with a hosepipe.. it looks to be a lovely weekend weather-wise, so the perfect excuse!

Some have said you can use a certain type of diluted bleach, but i didn't want to take the risk when doing mine. All depending on how 'dirty' it is really, but i rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and rinsed again with fresh water from my hose pipe for a couple of hours! Also, ensure you fill it right up then leave it for a few hours, you would rather see a crack/leak in it out the back rather than in your house :good:

Have you thought about filtration for this tank? When are you going to start getting it up and running?

Terry.

Get out the back with a hosepipe.. it looks to be a lovely weekend weather-wise, so the perfect excuse!

Some have said you can use a certain type of diluted bleach, but i didn't want to take the risk when doing mine. All depending on how 'dirty' it is really, but i rinsed, rinsed, rinsed and rinsed again with fresh water from my hose pipe for a couple of hours! Also, ensure you fill it right up then leave it for a few hours, you would rather see a crack/leak in it out the back rather than in your house :good:

Have you thought about filtration for this tank? When are you going to start getting it up and running?

Terry.

WIll do that, was curious about using cleaners etc, im sure the chemicals would remain so ill just use a good pad and plenty of clean water from the hose

Good point about leaving it for a while, lol

that aqua ball 60 I now have will be perfect for it as it will be powerful enough to do the whole tank. The guy said he thinks the tank is 54 litres.

It has 60 on the tank though beside the brand name, so i assume they are saying its 60 litres?

Put the old filter back in the first tank and added the new filter to the newly cleaned tank, with fresh water in it.

The slightly lighter shade is extra blue wrap on the back and water on the outside, I was worried I had a leak, but it seems I dont! I had the tank sitting full outside for a while as well and all seems good.

Going to let this run for a few days before making the transition for the fish.

new_tank_water.jpg

Most reactions

Back