Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

1. Guest , The February Tank of the Month Contest is starting now!

Click here for details:

Dismiss Notice

zig zag eel,breeding now no joke

Discussion in 'Oddball's institute' started by dolly_daydream, Apr 13, 2005.

1. pnyklr3

pnyklr3 Member

And other fish fan the eggs with their fins as well, or eat the eggs that are not fertilized (they will grow a fungus). I guess it would all depend on the parenting patterns of eels.

2. Puffer_freak

Puffer_freak Put the trombone down, bitch!

*jumps up and down waving*

I'M HERE! HELLO?

:p

As I said before, try to read up on peacock spiney eels and see what they do. If possible, you could move some of the eggs (about half) to the parents, and leave half unparented. That way you ay have at least half of them surviving.

Good luck! (again)

3. dolly_daydream

ok ive done this and i dont know if this is good news or bad but and 3 quarters of the eggs are going brownish,just like my angel fish eggs used to do before they hatched,im getting really excited now,and it seems the female keeps rubbing herself against the eggs its really cool,,ill keep you guys posted
    claire

4. smb7676

smb7676 Member

PICTURES?????

Are you ready if they hatch into fry? I think the whole half with half with out the mom is a really good thought. Have you called you local fish soceity? OR at least your lFS ( if they are good). I just thought the soceity might have someone that could help you out. !!!

Keep us in the loop

s

5. dolly_daydream

well as of today no eggs have hatched yet :( ,but none have got fungus either,but ill let you know if anything happens

6. balasgouramisandlemontetras

oh my god plz give us pics kewl kewl kewl kewl kewl im so jelous i cant even breed swords

7. tanganyika1001

jst one point dolly_daydream, have you thought about food yet? at a guess i would suggest live microworms and possible newly hatched brine shrimp. i doubt very much if the eels would have such a coating that smb7676 mentions, as this is usually the case with large cichlids (Discus, Uaru). If theyre really small there gona need infusoria, so you should really start preparing some food. sorry to spoil all the fun bt i dnt wanna see all the mini-eels starve! good luck! ps brown often does mean theyre advancing in a good way, im not sure if u actually serious about the good news bad news thing! sorry if im tellin u stuff u already knew lol good luck

8. jmaster

jmaster Member

hi

just wondering what size are the 2 eels??
    also what size tank do you have them in??

thanx

9. dolly_daydream

hi well im back,and i kinda have good news,,well out of all my eggs only 2 hatched,yes thats correct only 2,the parents inspected them for about 20 minutes then they attached there self to there mother then from nowhere the father came and gobbled them up of her back..i coulda cried,but its not all bad news though the mother is doing the same behaviour as last time rubbing herself vertical up the tank glass this time though im gonna take the male out though...well at least i tried,,im gonna try and take a good picture with my camera phone on the next batch of eggs....and to answer a question that someone asked,there about 9 inches in size
    claire

10. pnyklr3

pnyklr3 Member

They hatched! :hyper: Even 2 is great news! i know how ticked you probably are about the male eating them, but it sounds as if you may have another chance! At least this time you can properly observe and keep track of all the little nuances that occur!

11. Monty Stuefen

Monty Stuefen New Member

did you ever have any young ????

12. Colin_T

Colin_T Member

Hi Monty and welcome to the forum :)

Don't expect an answer because this thread was made in 2005 :)