Zebra Pleco

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I just found out that this is a real fish
7396204_orig.jpg

I have an unnatural affection for all bottom dwelling fish. They are my absolute favorite. I immediately searched around and found a website, liveaquaria, that sells these little guys and right now they are at a reduced price!
Of $299
My wallet has shrunk to a microscopic existence in my bag, taking my dreams down with it.

Wow, that's a sale price! I've seen them for around £40 near to me.

Where the hell do you live? They're £140 pounds my way!
I'm not sure what that squiggly E represents for currency, I'm assuming euros? I live in America, things are stupid expensive when it comes to hobbies over here. Even on ebay they go for 200 dollars! I love the look of this fish, but 200$ for a fish that grows 3 inches in length is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Sorry tekfish, mine was supposed to say £140, didn't realise I'd missed the 1 until I read your post.

I'm not sure what that squiggly E represents for currency, I'm assuming euros? I live in America, things are stupid expensive when it comes to hobbies over here. Even on ebay they go for 200 dollars! I love the look of this fish, but 200$ for a fish that grows 3 inches in length is ridiculous.
I know they're super expensive, £ is also Pounds Sterling, UK money.

Sorry tekfish, mine was supposed to say £140, didn't realise I'd missed the 1 until I read your post.
I was going to say, if they were £40 I would buy them right now.

If they were going for £40 I'd be buying a few and making a profit.

If they were going for £40 I'd be buying a few and making a profit.
Can you imagine if someone had a few breeding pairs of those guys and sold them as a second income? There are people all across the country that'd pay for those beautiful fish at a bargain price.

Can you imagine if someone had a few breeding pairs of those guys and sold them as a second income? There are people all across the country that'd pay for those beautiful fish at a bargain price.

All of the Zebra Pleco (Hypancistrus zebra) available are raised by breeders, or should be. The species is endemic to the Rio Xingu basin in Brazil, and since 2004 the government has prohibited the exportation of this species. Though there may be wild fish getting through nonetheless, not everyone obeys the laws. It is not a difficult species to spawn, but it still commands a high price.

In the last decade or so, a number of similar-looking species have been discovered and many of them described, though so far none are quite as striking as this little fellow. I had one for many years, back in the 1990's when they were expensive but no where close to the prices today.

The Rio Xingu is a most interesting river system for fish. One of the most striking is a freshwater ray found there; totally black with yellowish-white dots all over it. Photo attached. I have seen a trio of this ray at the Vancouver Aquarium.

There are many species of loricariid (pleco) being discovered in this river system, and all now threatened with extinction because of the construction of the world's largest hydro dam that will destroy the habitat. Sad indeed, if we lose these fish before they have even been described.

Byron.

Attachments

• Potamotrygon leopoldi.jpg
    Potamotrygon leopoldi.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back