Zebra Loach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Arcticfox1977

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
We recently got a zebra loach. It was fairly quiet when he went into the tank, which we thought new environment. After a day in the tank it keeps swimming very quickly on the side wall of the tank. It does circles of the side wall. Is this normal behaviour? It doesn't go any where else in the tank.

Did you get just one loach? if you did, that's probably the problem as they should be kept in groups.
They are also quite big fish. Seriously Fish says they grow up to 9cm long and need a tank at least 120cm long - and I don't think 95 litre tanks are that big? I'm not sure your tank is big enough for a group of zebra loaches; your best option might be to return yours to the shop.

4 inches is 10 cms
confused.gif

It sounds like it's stressed because its own its own, TBH.

Your tank is a bit on the small side for a group, and they are very social, so you do need to keep at least five or six. What other fish have you got in there? Lone zebra loach can start trying to form a hierarchy with other fish in the tank, which can lead to them being nipped.

I think you might be better off returning the loach, in all honesty.

My stock is in my SIG. I will try and return it. Is there any other loach/ sucking loach I could get?

I have sigs switched off, mate (it's easier, being a mod).

Before jumping the gun... what species is this loach, exactly?  Common names are misleading for many fish as they are only common to the people using them.  But I am suspecting you may have Botia striata which is often called the Zebra Loach, and not the much larger species of which I can't remember the name at the moment.

If your fish store said 4 inches, and making the assumption they may know what they are talking about, the loach is more likely Botia striata and this loach attains 3.5 inches (9 cm) max.  It is well suited to a 1 metre tank, in a group of at least five, and is fairly peaceful for a loach.  I have twice had a group with no issues with other fish, though I would not combine it with other loach species.

So, if you like the loach, get another four or five to make a group of five or six.  Make sure you have lots of wood, and I mean, lots.  Several chunks of wood that has tunnels and crevices is absolutely essential for this or any other loach.  Artificial decor like PVC pipe and such can work too, but I think real wood chunks is more natural and the loaches do love it.  Each loach must select its own "home" and this provides them the opportunity.

I don't see any issues having this loach with the other fish mentioned.   I'll add a photo of B. striata, so you can compare with the loach you have.

Byron.

Attachments

• Botia striata1.jpg
    Botia striata1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 113
If the loach pictured above is what you have, the behaviour is quite common. They are a very active fish and eat quite a bit. If they don't get enough quality and variety in their diet, they can be a bit nippy to tankmates.

Arcticfox1977 said:
I will try and get a picture of it. It isn't the same as your PIC.

I will just post two photos here, of two different species of a loach usually called "Tiger" that might be it.  If either is, these are large (10-12 inches) and aggressive.  Like all loaches they must have a group, but for these a very large tank and their aggressiveness will cause issues regardless.

If this is not the fish, try searching the picture catalogue on Loaches Online, here, to find your fish:
http://www.loaches.com/species-index/pictorial-species-search-index/pictorial-species-index-body-shape-pictures

And another piece of advice that will pay you multiple times over; never acquire any fish that you personally have not researched to know its size, needs and requirements, and behaviours.  The loach you have, regardless of what it might be, is under severe stress now, and this can quickly take a more serious toll on the fish's life.

Byron.

Attachments

• Tiger loach1.jpg
    Tiger loach1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 148
  • tiger loach2.jpg
    tiger loach2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 141
Arcticfox1977 said:
The closet picture from the link is Schistura obeini

I can't offer advice on this species, beyond what the site says.  At least it is a smaller fish, but still needs a good sized group, and they warn of tankmates being similarly active and not shy, so my suggestion would be that this is not a particularly good species in your situation with gourami, neons and glowlights.  B.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back