Zebra Loach Needs our Help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

kitties1

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all! A few weeks back I posted with some questions about one of my zebra loaches. All of my water parameters are good, I do regular water changes every week of about 20-30%. I test regularly too, feed every other to every two days, and have a very happy community tank.
Here is my problem/question:
One of my zebra loaches has a very LARGE bloated stomach. This has been increasing in size over the last thirty days. She, I say she because I am assuming she is pregnant, is very active, eats regularly and is exhibiting NO signs of stress or illness. My other zebra loach has maintained a normal size stomach. Both zebras have grown since they were introduced to the tank, approximately 1/4 of an inch. I noticed the female's stomach beginning to expand about 3 months after they were established in the tank.
I know that there is little to no information on the breeding habits of loaches, so I am curious to know if it is possible that this one is gravid? I assume that they are egg layers. I have done nothing to stimulate this, in factit is quite a surprise to me and totally unintentional.
DOES ANYONE have ANY advice/information on what I am to do? I have no clue about water conditions it needs to lay the eggs or what to do to ensure that this loach does not die in the process. Also, I do not have a breeder tank and do not intend to set one up unless I can find more information on the proper care and harvesting of fry. If someone could direct me to a link or even a book that might help I would appreciate it.
I am not directly concerned with the preservation of the eggs or fry, mostly with the health and livelihood of this loach. She is really sweet and playful and right now just looks downright uncomfortable, like an 81/2 month pregnant human.
thanks in advance.

Hi Kitties 1

I also have a zebra loach with exactly the same problem as yours. ?She is so
bloated it looks as if she is going to pop!!! All my other fish are healthy, haven't lost a fish in over 6 months, H2O parameters are all normal, and she is still active and eats like a pig.

If you find out what is happening let me know :sad: :blink:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back