Young Or Fully Grown Gold Barbs

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

jayaonline

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to buy some Gold Barbs this weekend, but I'm unsure whether I should by the small ones or the larger almost fully grown Gold Barbs.

What size would you recommend? - Is it better to buy mature older fish?

Thanks

Difficult question to answer without knowing more. Small fish generate less waste than large, so have less immediate impact on your system - which we know nothing about.

Small fish are /usually/ younger and therefore, in a well maintained tank, have longer life expectancy. What else is in the tank, which is what size, and eqipped how? How long has it been set up?

The wild green form (as opposed to the dayglo orange/yellow tank bred form) is gorgeous, I so nearly bought a group last September. Reminded me a lot of my old Barilius/Opsarius group, which would work well with these barbs.

They are active, temperate water fish, typically doing well in a heaterless tank that changes temp through the seasons (~18C in winter, upto ~24C in summer). Pretty active too, I would not put them in anything less than a 120cm tank for life, with a good strong current.

You should get more time to keep young ones as pets, but then a group of 8+ adults in a setup mature enough to safely take them without toxin spikes could be encouraged to breed using a marble covered floor, to protect any eggs from predation.

Lateral Line said:
Difficult question to answer without knowing more. Small fish generate less waste than large, so have less immediate impact on your system - which we know nothing about.

Small fish are /usually/ younger and therefore, in a well maintained tank, have longer life expectancy. What else is in the tank, which is what size, and eqipped how? How long has it been set up?

I have:

4x Harlequin Rasbora - big
2x Honey Gourami - small
5x Black Neon Tetra - big
3x Leopard Cory - big
3x Bronze Cory - small
2x Betta -big
1x Guppy - big

20g Long Planted Aquarium running for several years

N0body Of The Goat said:
The wild green form (as opposed to the dayglo orange/yellow tank bred form) is gorgeous, I so nearly bought a group last September. Reminded me a lot of my old Barilius/Opsarius group, which would work well with these barbs.

They are active, temperate water fish, typically doing well in a heaterless tank that changes temp through the seasons (~18C in winter, upto ~24C in summer). Pretty active too, I would not put them in anything less than a 120cm tank for life, with a good strong current.

You should get more time to keep young ones as pets, but then a group of 8+ adults in a setup mature enough to safely take them without toxin spikes could be encouraged to breed using a marble covered floor, to protect any eggs from predation.

Thanks for your advice, I want the gold ones to add some colour to my tank. I  think they look super in a school!

jayaonline said:

I have:

4x Harlequin Rasbora - big
2x Honey Gourami - small
5x Black Neon Tetra - big
3x Leopard Cory - big
3x Bronze Cory - small
2x Betta -big
1x Guppy - big

20g Long Planted Aquarium running for several years

N0body Of The Goat said:
>The wild green form (as opposed to the dayglo orange/yellow tank bred form) is gorgeous, I so nearly bought a group last September. Reminded me a lot of my old Barilius/Opsarius group, which would work well with these barbs.

Thanks for your advice, I want the gold ones to add some colour to my tank. I  think they look super in a school!

In my opinion your tank is overstocked already by some margin, you have ~85cm of adult sized fish in a 71l tank, with social fish in insufficient numbers.

A ~76x30x30cm tank is too short for Gold Barbs for life, they are far too active.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back