Yo what’s good? I got 8 zebra danios, 3 gold skirt tetras, a betta, and a goldfish. Newbie member.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

danioOos

Reaction score
Please don’t bully me here. I’m newb. And also, what the best treatment for ich? Natural or with the use of some medicine? Thanks!

Attachments

• 17EAC7FD-F596-4B72-AC97-17AB1ADD14BD.jpeg
    17EAC7FD-F596-4B72-AC97-17AB1ADD14BD.jpeg
    988 KB · Views: 128
  • 176CD8CA-89FE-43E0-B2D0-A2FF21C10C01.jpeg
    176CD8CA-89FE-43E0-B2D0-A2FF21C10C01.jpeg
    988 KB · Views: 131
Hi there :)

No-one's going to bully you; we were all newbs once, buddy x

Are you sure your fish have ich? Ich looks like very bright white, raised dots, all over the fish; almost like it's been sprinkled with salt. Normally we recommend salt and/or heat as the best treatment for tropical, but I'm not sure the danios and goldfish, which are really temperate fish (that means they do best in tanks without a heater), will survive the higher temperatures. You might have to look at using a medication, if they do have ich.

I do feel I have to tell you that your fish are not going to live long healthy lives, if you keep them together. Some of your fish are quite aggressive and might bully, or even kill the others. Some of your fish need warm water, and some do better with it cooler, and you don';t have enough tetras to make a proper shoal; that could lead to them getting very nippy towards the other fish.

The stress of being in less than perfect conditions is going to be a factor in them getting sick; nearly all fish diseases have an environmental element to them; even if it's just that weak fish are more liable to catch something.

Can I ask how big your tank is, what temperature the water is and how long it's been set up?

Thank god! I’ve got my danios and tetras in one 20 gal tank. I’ve been thinking on getting them a larger one. Maybe 30 or 40 and more tetras! They’ve got hides like a Dino skull and a broken trophy also some plants. The danios have they’re own side and tetras have theirs. Their tank temp is about 76 F They’re very peaceful together! They’ve been there for 4 weeks now. (I know, pretty newb) My betta is in a 3 gal. He’s been there for 2 days (ultimate newb!) He’s a juvie and I love him so much. His tank temp is around 80 F My goldfish lives with my grandmother and she keeps him in a little bowl. I know a bowl isn’t really the proper place for a goldfish or for any fish.. I’ve been thinking of getting him a 20 gal tank some day.. he’s been with us since the start making him as old as me! He’s 20. I do not know his bowl/temp (I’M SO SORRY PLS DON’T HURT ME!)

Oh, I thought all the fish were in the same tank! Thank goodness for that :D

Of course, you should get a bigger tank for your goldfish as soon as you can, Even though he's quite old, he would be happier in a proper tank with a filter.

You'll be needing to do daily water changes for the betta, if his tank wasn't cycled before you put him in. Do you have test kits?

Which fish do you think have ich? I can't see any sign of it in your pictures of the betta.

A day ago I’ve been seeing white spots on one of my tetras and even though it hasn’t spread on the other fish, once you see ich.. everything in the tank is considered affected. (I’m sad..)I did daily water changes and I panicked so much and I did not know what to do! I found out that Japanese yellow powder can help in killing ich and other external and internal parasites/bad bacteria. It’s also used as a stress reliever for fish so I bought some and sprinkled some in the tank but I’m still unsure and a worried fish mom. So I come here today for guidance! (Also, I borrow my cousin’s test kit hehe wow)

Okay... I've never heard of ' Japanese yellow powder', but I've had a quick web search, and it's nasty stuff by the sounds of it. You do NOT want to use that in your tank; it will not cure the ich.

Do a couple of really big water changes, ASAP to get rid of that.

Perfect timing! I just did a while ago! Oh and, nasty? How come? I’ve read it could kill internal and external parasites? But anyway, thanks for telling me right away! (I’m such a clueless, nervous fish mother )

I wouldn't get in too much of a panic; just do a couple of big water changes, if you haven't already.

Alrighty, I did a big one just a while ago.. I’ll do another one tomorrow just to be safe. So about using salt for curing ich.. how? I’m so sorry for these never ending questions..!!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back