Yikes!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

reptileman said:
alright i'm going to do 3-break-3, or would it be more beneficial to the plants for a staright 6......
Having a break in the middle is a waste of time to be honest. Just stick to it all in one go. I have mine on for 7 hours a day with a fair few plants and CO2 injection,

This Old Spouse said:
Cut your lighting time in half. 12 hours is way too much.

not really, most of my lights are on 14 hours a day, i rarely get any algae

Mikey1 said:

What is your tank size, lighting strength and is your tank situated in a light or dark room/with exposure to natural light?

Mikey1 said:

Well, I think most people would get algae with that amount of light. 

my tank has 2 t8 life-glos on it. i was just looking at the timer on it and realized it was set to a 14 hour photo-period D:  ..... So what i have done is lights on at 9 off at 7 with a 2 hour siesta from 1-3. so lights are on a total of 8 hours a day

This Old Spouse said:
Well, I think most people would get algae with that amount of light. 
I'm with you TOS! :) That's far too much time for the lights to be on.

Lunar Jetman said:

What is your tank size, lighting strength and is your tank situated in a light or dark room/with exposure to natural light?

my tanks vary in size and light, but for the most part flouresent tubes mostly 40w,

in a fairly dark area of the home, it does have some natural light, but not directly on the tanks

reptileman said:
my tank has 2 t8 life-glos on it. i was just looking at the timer on it and realized it was set to a 14 hour photo-period D:  ..... So what i have done is lights on at 9 off at 7 with a 2 hour siesta from 1-3. so lights are on a total of 8 hours a day
Do you know the wattage of the tubes by any chance?

8 will help reduce any algae but I wouldn't bother with a break in lighting. Just leave them on for 8 hours in one go.

Mikey1 said:

my tanks vary in size and light, but for the most part flouresent tubes mostly 40w,

in a fairly dark area of the home, it does have some natural light, but not directly on the tanks

I have generally lived in houses with fairly bright naturally lit rooms so I could never have tank lights on for more than 7-8 hours without risking an algal bloom.

If it is just diatoms be extra sharp on your husbandry and maybe put in a few extra water changes.
As you're dosing excel make sure you're plant food also has a decent amount of Nitrate and Phosphate in it.

In a heavily planted tank i personally think a siesta can work but only in certain circumstances where you're issues is CO2 related. Not in this case.

IMO

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back