Yet Another Tank Journal By Ch4Rlie!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
You always amaze me with your DIY stuff! Got a shot showing the whole set up?

Ninjouzata said:
You always amaze me with your DIY stuff! Got a shot showing the whole set up?

Yup, there is a pic on post #13 but here it is again just to be sure folks see this
wink.png

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:80309]

Thank you! Does not look awkward like I thought it would.
I know you had a previous FTS but wanted one with the lights raised :p Really does look lovely all together

Thank you Ninj, very kind of you to say
smile.png

I had to raise the lights mainly due to the HOB filter being on the end of that tank as well as the new tank being on the other end, always planned on doing that sort of thing but never got around to doing it, this was the prod I needed to go and do it properly
laugh.png

If that filter wasn't there you could prob get a second small tank move the whole thing to the right......... Never mind my wife says stop encouraging him.

Ch4rlie said:

Ugh... this is what I absolutely HATE about these companies... take a good look at the fish they show on the packaging.  Two, not one, but TWO moor goldfish.  That combination would require a 30 GALLON tank.  This tank doesn't even have that number of liters.  
no.gif

I'm glad that you are not the standard fishkeeper, but its this kind of 'false advertising' that really gets to me.  Just because the fish FITS inside the box, doesn't mean that they should be kept there.  

I'd really like to do this to the marketing department of this company:  
slapping.gif

(Not that I am a violent individual)

Yes, have to say have seen this type of advertising far too often
confused.gif

Not sure if its the same in US but in UK, practically every fish tank packaging or advertisement will have a silly combination of fish in a woefully inadequate tank, goldfish are especially common for this advertising but they do it because it looks 'pretty' and appeals to kids and proabably adults alike who know no better.

In an ideal world, the packaging pictures or ads would just have a single betta or a red cherry shrimp set up for this sized tank scenario, which imho looks far better.

Basically its advertising of the wrong type in each and every way!!

Not sure what we can do to help stop this silly practice.
Dunno.gif

I also Lurve that wood!! I'm jealous!

Ch4rlie said:
Dunno.gif

I would tell you, but its too late in your scenario.  :/

Finally time for another update
smile.png

Got the deliveries of the new filter and LED tube, have to say I am actually satisfied with these, only thing though means i need to make some modifications on the tank hood to enable the fitting of the LED tube, but no biggie.

2 Finally delivered..jpg             3 New Leddy Tube.jpg

The size of the filter is pretty much bang on for what was hopeing for, a tiny powerhead and a simple sponge attached, also has a venturi system (basically means you can add bubbles to the tank from the outflow) Decided to try that out as makes it a little different.
Pic below show the filter in place in the tank, actually forgot to take pics of the filter earlier out of the box.

4 Close up mini sponge filter.jpg

Modifications on the hood, have added a tube clip at a shorter point in order to clip the LED fully onto the hood. Simply used perspex superglued to hodd and with plastic screws changed to two 1" tube clips.

Also added 2 cable tidy hooks to make ease of use to remove the hood for maintenance as well as stopping the cable form going into the tank water making an ugly look, much better clipped away on the hood.

6 Completed lid modifications.jpg

Now the exciting parts begins, adding plants. This time just going to use low tech plants, Anubias Nana 'Bonsai', Java Fern Windelov and Cryptoryne crispulata 'Balansae'.

Tied the Java Ferns and Anubias to wood and rock as pics shows.
   9 Extra Wood with Java Fern.jpg             10 Anubia B on wood shot.jpg  

11 Anubia Bonsai on rock.jpg  

Can see the Balansae planted here, to help hide the heater as well as a java fern hooked on a sucker on the back of tank to add a little more.

8 Tank Side shot.jpg                 7 New tank FTS.jpg

Now, am pretty pleased with the full results, just about what I aimed for 
smile.png

12 Full Tanks Shot.jpg

13 All 3 FTS.jpg 

Oops, sorry, meant to reply to this earlier.

eaglesaquarium said:

Dunno.gif

I would tell you, but its too late in your scenario.  
confused.gif

Well, impatience is not a virtue in this case.

And since I am so used to seeing silly pictures of goldfish and other species on packaging that I never even gave it a single thought when i was buying this at the LFS to be entirely honest.

Though to be honest, it was kind of hard for me not to buy this tank as its the only one that actually fitted my requirements and measurements despite hours of searches online. Yes, sure could have got a custom tank but at an inflated price :/

Ch4rlie said:
Oops, sorry, meant to reply to this earlier.

Dunno.gif

I would tell you, but its too late in your scenario.  
confused.gif

Well, impatience is not a virtue in this case.

And since I am so used to seeing silly pictures of goldfish and other species on packaging that I never even gave it a single thought when i was buying this at the LFS to be entirely honest.

Though to be honest, it was kind of hard for me not to buy this tank as its the only one that actually fitted my requirements and measurements despite hours of searches online. Yes, sure could have got a custom tank but at an inflated price
confused.gif

No judgement on my part.  Just sharing a frustration of mine.  Ultimately, I am shaking my fist at the wind... nothing much accomplished by it.

I responded the same way EA when he showed me a link for the tank in chat :lol:

Ch4rlie the tank looks really lovely now. Looking forward to when we can see the shrimps in it. :)

oooh I like ch4rlie ... look lovely :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back