Yet Another Compatibility Question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

phoenixgsd

Fish Herder
Reaction score
i have a 300 L tank which is well planted with cherry and ammano shrimp, small schools of cherry barbs and harliquns, 6 corys a male swordtail, khuli loaches, not sure how many, i think 7 or 8 and 1 flying fox which i inherited, my betta i have moved to a small 20L tank in my sons room as he started to pick off the cherry shrimp even the huge adult ones, he was the centre piece in the tank so wandered what i could have instead, my kids would like some kind of frog but im not sure, any suggestions welcome :)

i don't know about the shrimp but ive kept angels with all of the above fish,there mouths are too small to eat them,frogs you can keep but they must be african dwarf frogs,i underline dwarf as african clawed frogs can sometimes be labeled as them but clawed frogs will eat the fish,hope it works but once again i'd check on the angels.

Alex

Angels would be a nice addition but they will likely pick shrimp off more so than the betta.... Rams also would be nice but the shrimp again would be a problem.... i think you will find it hard finding a nice bold centerpiece fish which is going to be completely shrimp safe tbh.

P.S... i think there was a video posted here not so long ago about frogs, and you saw them picking full grown shrimp off very easily.

I have a huge soft spot for dwarf cichlids, and I think one of the more peaceful species would fit lovely in you tank, depending on pH and water hardness. But assuming your water isn't anything too extreme, something like keyhole cichlids, or a group of a apistogramma or laetacara would work brilliantly :good:

My dad had a group of apistogramma pebas in his tank with a big colony of cherry shrimp, and for the most part they ignored the shrimp.

If they don't do anything for you, what about something like a group of pearl gourami? They tend to stick to the mid to top levels so shrimp might be fine with them too as long as there's plenty of places for the shrimp to hide.

the water is very soft here, will the dwarf cichlids be ok with the cherry shrimp then?

It depends on how many hiding spots your shrimp have. I would say it could work as long as it's got plenty of plants, moss, rocks, bits of wood for them to hide in, etc.
Other people might say no, but from personal experience it can work.
If you post a photo of your tank it might give us a better idea as to whether it's doable or not? :)

Most reactions

Back