yes... another stocking inspiration thread

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Shifty1303

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

finally making the jump to multi-tank ownership.

picking up a lovely fluval fresh f90 (129 litres) and need some inspiration

my current roma 200 is stocked with panda corys, lemon tetras, black ruby barbs and a lone praecox rainbow which i love so similar ideas appreciated.

i loved my praecox rainbows but had ongoing unexplained health issues with them (multiple LFS owners couldnt figure it out etc) and have sadly lost a bit of faith hence havent got any more.

also tried electric blue rams which were lovely fish but didnt make it past a fortnight despite my continued efforts to keep the water conditions pristine (no other fish in tank got even remotely ill/unsettled).

if someone can restore my faith in rams i would still love to keep them as they are beautiful and i was rightly devastated when i lost them. also saw some silvertip tetras in my LFS recently which i havent seen before and loved them.

all ideas appreciated :) Byron - if you read this your ideas are normally spot on. still got my lemons and rubies as per your suggestion :D

regards,

Shifty

What are the dimensions of the tank and the pH and hardness of your water?

It would be irresponsible of us to recommend species with out knowing those :)

What are the dimensions of the tank and the pH and hardness of your water?

It would be irresponsible of us to recommend species with out knowing those :)
ah yes good point i was remiss with that info!

tank is 90 x 35 x 45 cm (http://www.fluvalaquatics.com/ca/product/15110-fresh-aquarium-and-cabinet-set-f90/#.WRsZSeXyu00)

ph sits around 7.6 and hardness of tap water according to supplier is 23.5 deg. clark. (335CaCO3 mg/l or about 18-19 gH)

also just found out my supply has a nitrate count of 19ppm :O that explains why i cant seem to get it below 20 in my tank!

** I should add another setup i considered is a pygmy puffer tank as i hear great things about their character/interaction. only thing that puts me off is the desire for active/colorful fish which make the tank a centrepiece of the room.

I want to follow this because I am setting up a new tank also!

Sorry to hear about that history with praecox.

Swordtails would be a nice addition to that tank... quite colorful, and the males with the long tail is quite interesting to see.

Sorry to hear about that history with praecox.

Swordtails would be a nice addition to that tank... quite colorful, and the males with the long tail is quite interesting to see.
i do like the look of swordtails and have always liked platys and mollys too. only reason i dont have them already is because i worry with live bearers i would end up with too many fish after a while and i couldnt ever give a fish up if my tank became overstocked. :/

A bachelor group would eliminate the fry possibility.

i thought all males would fight and stress each other to illness?

if not then great because i do love the sunset platy :D

Its all about the numbers... if you get a group of males, preferably odd numbers, then they will at times flare and posture to other males, but that's not a big part of their day. Ultimately, they are still highly gluttonous and will spend a large portion of the time peacefully grazing on every surface in the tank.

If there is a fair amount of plants, hiding spots, cover, etc. This shouldn't be a problem in a tank that large.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back