Yellow Tang With White Stripes

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

agate

Reaction score
I have a healthy Yellow Tang that has two idental white stripes on the sides of his body when the lights first go on in the morning. After 20 minutes they disappear. Can anyone tell me what this is all about?

Agate

I have a healthy Yellow Tang that has two idental white stripes on the sides of his body when the lights first go on in the morning. After 20 minutes they disappear. Can anyone tell me what this is all about?

Agate

Here is the reply from my close friend who keeps salt water fish , ( i qouted your question in an e-mail to him ) he knows his stuff !

Its his lateral line which all fish have . when lights are out
yellow tangs go a little bit darker than normal once lights come on the
colour comes back to vivid yellow . Mine use to do this and my Regal
tang goes silver when lights are out or he is scared.

Agate

Here is the reply from my close friend who keeps salt water fish , ( i qouted your question in an e-mail to him ) he knows his stuff !

Thanks, I learn something every day.

Agate

Agate

Thanks, I learn something every day.

Agate

You are welcome , i am new to this fish keeping , but i hope one day to keep marine fish :)

Hi

I'm the friend of Jasper above. Just joined the Forum.

As he has quoted Yellow tangs change colour all the time depending on their mood. Its a shame coz I recently lost a yellow tang after 8 years :(

My regal tang has alot of changes of moods everyday he bright blue most of the time then hes black and even then silver.

When you first see it its worrying.

Hi

I'm the friend of Jasper above. Just joined the Forum.

As he has quoted Yellow tangs change colour all the time depending on their mood. Its a shame coz I recently lost a yellow tang after 8 years :(

My regal tang has alot of changes of moods everyday he bright blue most of the time then hes black and even then silver.

When you first see it its worrying.

Welcome :)

All tangs do this. My 4 purple tangs have a darker purple band in the same place that yellows have their white bands at night. The colour is not in itself the lateral line (as tis is only as wide as a fish scale in most cases) but it does encompass it.
When fish are at rest (as in lights out time) they alter the flow of blood through their body to other regions of the body. During daylight etc the bloodflow is directed at the muscles etc. Its more of a way to rest different parts of the body, chagning of body temperature etc and is completely natural.

All tangs do this. My 4 purple tangs have a darker purple band in the same place that yellows have their white bands at night. The colour is not in itself the lateral line (as tis is only as wide as a fish scale in most cases) but it does encompass it.
When fish are at rest (as in lights out time) they alter the flow of blood through their body to other regions of the body. During daylight etc the bloodflow is directed at the muscles etc. Its more of a way to rest different parts of the body, chagning of body temperature etc and is completely natural.

Your input is more than interesting. It is copied for my files. Thanks!

Agate

At night besides having a brown spot in it's middle and the white stripe appearing, he is a little pasty yellow until the lights have been on for a few minutes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back