Yellow spots?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jezah

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My 3 month old dalmatian molly fry have recently developed some weird BIG yellow spots on them. Its not velvet I dont think, as they are big spot and the babies are healthy besides the spots. I am going to give the babies a concentrated salt bath for like 30 min, anyone have any idea what it could be?

I have been breeding with Dalmation Mollies for the last 10 months or so.........

......quite a few of them have yellow/gold areas on their bodies.........

.......I put this down to breeding colouration.........you don't know what they have in their "lines".

This is a picture of one of my mollies...............it isn't that noticeable, but she does have a few tiny gold patches........

........which have been more prevalent amongst her fry......
mollie4zy.jpg

Personally..........unless it looked like there was a problem..........I wouldn't mess with the water......

.....however, if the Mollies are on their own....... a little salt will only help.........

OH! That makes total sense since I have several other fish in the tank and none of the others have spots! Huh, interesting. I never knew yellow spots came naturally to some mollies. I already have some salt in the tank, but I gave the babies a extra concentrated dip just in case. They yellow spots didnt go away, which apparently would have happened if it had been velvet. So its probably what you said. I wonder if the spots will stay with them through adulthood..

The yellow patches on my fry tended to get smaller as they grew older................................or the fish got bigger and the patches stayed the same size.............. :rolleyes:

Wow, identical. Cool, now I am not as worried. I didnt think it was anything serious as they seemed healthy. I wonder what causes the spots...? Just genetics?

Yup........I believe it is genetics......the mothers had a tiny bit on them.........it just seems to come out more in their offspring............

......the top pic of the two is of a 1.5 inch 6-7 month old........and the bottom pic is a couple of 0.5 inch 2-3 month olds.......

Ohhh this thread makes me feel better, I had a female platy kick the bucket after i bought a sick loach (didn't seem like it till it was in the tank.) And I was worried about all of my fish. My fish all have a good apetite, so I'm not worried anymore.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back