Yellow spots on mollies?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Pongo n perdita

Reaction score
I got my dalmation mollies 4 days ago and since then they have developed yellow orange spots. They mated yesterday so I'm not sure if it has something to do with it or not. Please help!

Is it possible to get a picture? If not, what size are the spots?

Also, how old is the tank? Ive heard ammonia burns could cause that? Although i could very easily be wrong.

Also it is possible for it to be a colouration, despite it being a 'dalmation' molly. A quick Google search for 'yellow spots on dalmation molly' will show you what i mean.

Its not uncommon for fish to change colour shortly after purchase. But this doesnt mean you should just leave it. Be sure to check your water ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Also please bear in mind that mollys will only thrive in very hard/almost brackish conditions.

This is a fairly new tank. My ammonia and nitrate levels are fine. They aren't acting weird or funny in any way. I added water from a tank that has been going well for quite awhile. I did read up on this and i do think it is a coloration but i will be keeping a close eye on them.

What do you mean by "not acting weird or funny in anyway"? They should both be pinned to zero.

Also, when you say you added water from a tank thats been going a while, was that to aid the nitrogen cycle? Im afraid to say that the beneficial bacteria dont live in the water column itself. They live on surfaces. Primarily in the filter and in the substrate. If you have another running tank, id use some of its filter media and then youre good to go :)

Its hard to diagnose any issues without a picture, but it sounds like a common colouration for a dalmation molly.

What are your exact values for Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH and KH?

How new is fairly new?

How often do you perform water changes?

How big is the tank? And are there any other tankmates?
Just so that we can rule out other potential causes of an illness

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back