Wow! Last Week Was So Amazing, Its Time For Round 2!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Sesshis_grl

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Yo so short story and long story

Short story:

Bought new kuhli loaches (4) and all looked to be good. Get them home and noticed that one seemed to be twitching and in a couple days noticed something around its fin

anchorworm.jpg

This is a pic of anchor worm that I got off internet, kuhli had something that looked like the right one only. Except it was more the color of kuhlis skin wasnt really white at all (maybe ends?), and did not have a red spot at all. So twitching, rapid breathing, laying on side, and having this by it's dorsal fin.

Don't know if this is actually anchor worm or not but didn't want to take chances so returned.

Specific questions::

1. Are these conatgious?
2. Does this actually sound like anchor worm?
3. Should I be worried about handling tank water and substrate? Don't want to get anything.

Long Story::

LFS are crap now a days apparently. I thought long and hard about whether I wanted more kuhlis since july! Tried to get them within the last couple month and all of them are diseased! Waited and waited and finally they have some that look normal and ok. Took them home and tried to not let any of that water into my tank. This was thurs/fri? Two days later I look and one is kind of twitchy and may have something on its fin, but had major problems with my late GBR so didn't really worry about it. Thought it was just getting used to the tank. Come back home from the weekend and look, this kuhli is still having problems. Its still breathing hard, still twitching, definately has something on its back/side, and is starting to rest on its side before hiding again. I finally catch this little booger and found what I described above. Took him back to lfs and want an exchange. The guy looks at it and is like "yea...it might be..a fish could have taken a bite out of his fin too"....yeaaa...cuz his fin is perfectly intact no rips...and theres something attatched to him..but sure someone "attacked him". "Or it might be a fungus..or a wound.....I really don't see what your talking about" o_O...really?? I had to sit there and point out this thing attached to the poor little guy and show him. Explain what the heck anchor worm is and why I think this is it. I stop trying to get answers because he just keeps naming off every little disease he can think of and he goes to get me a new one. Scoops it up doesnt show me the fish at all, bags it and then looks at it.

I clearly ask, does it look ok is there anything on him, because they are really hard to catch.
Him:: nope he looks good, here you go

I take him look at him and sure enough there is a green thread attached to this one! What is wrong with their fish?? I thought it was coming out of its gills until I see that its just attached to its side. Poor fish.

I show him, "loser you gave me another sick fish!"
Him:: oh...yea...

......needless to say I just got my money back. I am so sick of people flat out lying about their fish! If they are sick, treat them!! Thats so sad for the poor fish to have something pratically eating them and your not doing anything about it! This is exactly why I so passionately want to open up a fish shop. I refuse to sell sick fish and I'm going to have staff that actually know what the heck they are talking about. This is ridiculous

Yeah I've stop dealing with fish shops for awhile now... Just look up local breeders around your area. The good thing is that you would have a higher chance of getting a healthy fish; The bad is usually its more expensive, and there might be a little wait time on the fish. (depending on availability)

Specific questions::

1. Are these conatgious? Yes very contagious its the female worm that attatches to the fish and releases eggs into the water.
2. Does this actually sound like anchor worm? From what I have read on anchor worms and what you have discribed is sounds like it :sad:
3. Should I be worried about handling tank water and substrate? Don't want to get anything. I think your safe.

Awesome.

So what to do? I'm really against treating my tanks now because everytime I do, it just makes it worse.

How long should it be before signs show on other fish if eggs are in my tank?
If nothing happens within the next couple weeks am I in the clear?
Whats the recommended treatment of dealing with these things if I see more and need to treat?
and is there anything else that it could possibly be before I automatically assume its this?

I'm going to try to keep researching but I'm really not turning up anything particularly useful

Thank you for any and all advice

There is a description of the worm and some suggested treatments on Wikipedia

I'd love to only get fish from breeders but if you can find any in my area let me know lol!

That picture's minging!

You shouldn't rely on wiki (its not a credible source), but thank you for the suggestion

what is minging?

You shouldn't rely on wiki (its not a credible source), but thank you for the suggestion

what is minging?
Don't know anything about anchor worm but if it was my tank I would net all the fish and put them in 100%clean safe new water in a plasric tub with rinsed heater. Then, rinse and boil gravel and rinse filter sponges several times in water from another tank before reusing. Better safe than sorry.Those worms look horrific!

Ah lol gotcha, yea...its not pretty. The kuhli really didn't look like that though, he had a grayish thing on him, no grotesque red boil, and it almost looked like a fin if you just glanced at him. The actual object looked like the worm but idk...I'm really horrible with diseases :-( From what I read though the worm dies after laying the eggs..and it was still attached..so I'm thinking I may have caught it before it spread to tank..*knock on wood* if its even anchor worm at all

Still makes me itch all over everytime I touch the water though... :X :grr: :shout: :-(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back