Wound On My Pleco, Can Anybody Help?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

WATSONFISH

Reaction score
Hi

I hope you can help me, one of our Plecos seems to have a wound on its head, we initially though mabe he had a scratch from the decoration in the tank or maybe the other pleco (more dominant one) had attacked it.  We have used some melafix however the wound doesn't seem to be getting better.  I get the impression it is actually worse.  It has been like this for a few weeks now.  The fish actually seems otherwise healthy, swims and eats well.

Thanks for your help
pleco.jpg

That's a nasty wound!

I'd say that increasing your water changes to every other day would help.

in my opinion put it in a hospital tank. keep on observing it so it doesnt get infected.

+1 to the increased water change.

If you have a QT, putting him into isolation and changing 50% of the water daily would probably be better.

Thanks for the replies so far, I take it the water changes are to prevent infection.  Does that mean that you all expect it to heal on its own?

eventually but its better to help the wound heal with medications.

Plecos can be extremely sensitive to meds, though - so I'd only go with a half-dose - if you are going to use the meds.

WATSONFISH said:
Thanks for the replies so far, I take it the water changes are to prevent infection.  Does that mean that you all expect it to heal on its own?

Yes. There are very few issues that can't be treated with lots of clean fresh water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back