Would U Buy Ragged Or Split Fin Bettas?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

vanvran

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Our local LFS has some pretty HMs, which is my favorite, as well as some elephant ear boys.  The only problem is, the ones I like may have a bit of raggedness around the edge of upper or lower fins, or a small split in the tail fin.  I know how fin rot is nearly impossible to cure (at least in my experience), so I hesitate to bring home a betta that isn't perfect.  Has anyone bought bettas that had fin issues?  If so, how did you handle it once you got them home?

vanvran said:
Our local LFS has some pretty HMs, which is my favorite, as well as some elephant ear boys.  The only problem is, the ones I like may have a bit of raggedness around the edge of upper or lower fins, or a small split in the tail fin.  I know how fin rot is nearly impossible to cure (at least in my experience), so I hesitate to bring home a betta that isn't perfect.  Has anyone bought bettas that had fin issues?  If so, how did you handle it once you got them home?
In my opinion, fin rot is highly treatable. There are several methods that work with the simplest being more frequent water changes and I have even had success with Tetra anti-fungal tablets. I'm sure others have also had success with treating it. The only diseases I have ever dealt with that I consider almost impossible to cure is Dwarf Gourami and Neon tetra disease. Things like ich and fin rot maybe overwhelming at first but going out a buying the most expensive medicine usually isn't the best idea.
With excellent water quality I believe that whatever betta you brought home would become less stressed, brighten up in color, and generally thrive in it's new environment.

Fin rot is generally considered one of the more easy diseases to cure. I have dealt with most diseases you could think of, and fin rot seems like nothing compared to treatment resistant columnaris or dropsy. Clean, warm water will often cure a fish, and if that doesn't work 1-2 tsp/g of aquarium salt should. No need to jump to medications- conservative treatment will usually serve you well when it comes to easy and common illnesses.

GetItSahn said:

In my opinion, fin rot is highly treatable. There are several methods that work with the simplest being more frequent water changes and I have even had success with Tetra anti-fungal tablets. I'm sure others have also had success with treating it. The only diseases I have ever dealt with that I consider almost impossible to cure is Dwarf Gourami and Neon tetra disease. Things like ich and fin rot maybe overwhelming at first but going out a buying the most expensive medicine usually isn't the best idea.
With excellent water quality I believe that whatever betta you brought home would become less stressed, brighten up in color, and generally thrive in it's new environment.

Thanks.  I always kept my bettas alone (or with bottom feeders) in a 20 gal. filtered, heated tank, with weekly water changes of about 25%.  HOwever, both of mine died I assume of fin rot.  I tried Aquarium salt, then triple sulfa or euthyrmicin (sp) meds.  They always ended up dying within a month.  What am I doing wrong? 

vanvran said:

Thanks.  I always kept my bettas alone (or with bottom feeders) in a 20 gal. filtered, heated tank, with weekly water changes of about 25%.  HOwever, both of mine died I assume of fin rot.  I tried Aquarium salt, then triple sulfa or euthyrmicin (sp) meds.  They always ended up dying within a month.  What am I doing wrong? 

When you have bottom feeders (i assume they were scaleless such as corys) Try to avoid using medicine because they don't react well to it.
It might not be anything you have done wrong in particular. Fin Rot isn't always just a disease on it's own. A lot of times it can become a secondary effect to an already existing condition like if your fish already has columnaris. Sometimes people confuse fin rot with fins being nipped. When my guppies had fin rot a while back, the color left their tail in the first few hours then by the next morning it was like their tail had disintegrated. That whole batch I bought from the store died from this fin ordeal and all other fish from other tanks were fine and unafflicted. 
I have had much better luck with bettas when it comes to treating them, I find that the ones I have had were quite hardy, did well with the medicine, and their tails healed nicely once the water quality is pristine.
To me, that's the main goal. Perfect water quality, once you know there aren't parameters that could be causing stress or sickness you can start to narrow down the possibilities and focus on what treatment's are best for your tank and your fish.
In my experience, I started doing about 10-15% water changes every other day and after the 3rd day of changes, he was noticeably better. You need to find what works for you though and I hope you do. Best of Luck!

Most reactions

Back