Would Tetra Florapride Cause Algae?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

watertown28

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I was brainstorming on why the algae in my tank all of a sudden came about. I started thinking of when abouts it came to be in my tank... trying to think of why it would happen.

Anyways to make a long story short... I think I got it pinpointed to when this could have happened... but to confirm my hunch I thought I would ask the peps here.

I got some FloraPride from Tetra 0-0-3..... I got it on sale at the pet shop that is moving.

Well first time I added it, I only put in 50ml in the first time.... shorty a day or so later I did a water change of about 25 gallons and then turned around and added another 20 ml due to the water change. About a day or 2 later I noticed the brown stuff starting to grow. I stopped the treatment...of course because I was more or less alarmed at this.

Now I have recently done a few more water changes sense... but... the problem is getting worse. I am getting brown and green all over the place... plants, heaters, glass...

What is even more strange, it only seems to go up to the level where my water change line is ( how far I went down at the time before the bloom happened. )...Its creeping up a bit though past that... but its kinda a straight line on the density. Now the one plant that has it bad of course has it all the way up...spots all over...

Ugg and no pics yet until I get a memory card for the camera. With that said, do you all think my hunch is right that the FloraPride might have done something funny and then caused the bloom?

BTW this is on my 72 gallon bowfront.
No direct sunlight
2x32 watt 6500K T8's
4 live plants:
Moneywort
Cardinal
Telanthera
and some random green plant that is not very big...rescue from a pet shop and was almost dead.

algae doesn't appear due to excess nutrients. It appears when there is light and ammonia present. To much light is normally the cause.

Check out the algae guide and see if you can identify your algae - That will give you a better understanding of what's going on. As Ian has said Ammonia generally causes algae so if it's not a tank condition then it's likely a failing within the plants...

It's good to see that Tetra are starting to display what's in the bottle though :good:

Yes it is the green dust ( on the glass ) and a few spots of the Diatoms. I did have a little spike due to the added stock ( I think I added 7 fish.... close to double the load within a week )

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back